How to bottle wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JedSmithBrewery

Reaction score
I just pitched in my first wine ( actually a blueberry cyser ). I am already thinking about bottling time, I have a bench capper for doing brews, but do not have any corking supplies for wine bottles. I do not want to have to go out and buy a corker, so is there any type of bottle that I can use for wine that doesn't require a corker that will allow me to store for a long period? Can I use my bench capper to bottle champagne bottles? Will this work for wine, please help me overcome this predicament.

You can use a cork called a ZORK, pushes in by hand and seals well. They are more expensive than real cork. If you are going to get into wine then get a combo corker, wine and beer capper. I see them for about $60. A friend of mine does it this way, kind of rogue. He soaks the corks in warm water, then pounds them in with a wooden mallet.

I would recommend the ZORK approach. You will absolutely hate the cheap corker, unless as Dave say's, you're only doing a few bottles (but even then you'll still hate it!).

You can use a cork called a ZORK, pushes in by hand and seals well. They are more expensive than real cork. If you are going to get into wine then get a combo corker, wine and beer capper. I see them for about $60. A friend of mine does it this way, kind of rogue. He soaks the corks in warm water, then pounds them in with a wooden mallet.

Wine takes so much more time to complete than beer! Why would you want to go on the cheap side and avoid the expense of using corks? You could always just bottle it in beer bottles and not worry about corks at all.

Not trying to be a wise cracker, I have been making wine for a lot longer than beer, so I have all the little widgets and gizmos to bottle. Pick up an inexpensive corker and spend a few dollars on the right stuff. You will be glad you did in the long run.

Salute! :mug:

I do alot of wine and have a cheap hand force cork compresser I no longer need(bought a floor corker). P.M. me with your email address if interested.

Your local homebrew shop may rent out a floor corker. Mine rents them for $7 per day. If you expect to bottle more than 10 batches of wine before you die, I'd purchase one. Otherwise, rental may be a better option. Either way, I hear the floor corker, instead of the hand corker, is the way to go.

I have my first wine, a Zinfandel, bulk aging now. I figure I'll rent a corker for this batch, and if I like the product, maybe buy one before the next.

You could bottle the wine in beer bottles. You could then store it upright as well. Of course you'd also use beer caps!

I've done plenty of mead/cyser in 12oz bottles (or buy bombers at the LHBS) and beer caps.

Latest posts

Back