NanoBrewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple of pics from the beer event.

I'm 6'1" so it's not often I have to look up to talk to someone. This guy was BIG.
Savory's.JPG

My table setup.
Savory's1.JPG

Looks like Hoss meets Paul Bunyan in that photo. How many gallons did he drink? It sure looked good, congrats. How many gallons bier are in storage now it must be getting rather large?

So, you've had your first tasting does that mean you are you fully approved for your retail tastings? I'm still waiting to hear that you're adding onto your building to make room for your big equipment in storage to keep up with demand.

So, you've had your first tasting does that mean you are you fully approved for your retail tastings? I'm still waiting to hear that you're adding onto your building to make room for your big equipment in storage to keep up with demand.

I'm just waiting on state confirmation. Should be any day now.

So here's a legal-ish question that you may be able to answer. As homebrewers, what I do with my brew is pretty much my business, as long as I don't give it to minors or charge any money for it whatsoever.

A commercial brewery can not, I understand, under any circumstances give away any brew. Test batches would seem to be an assumed expense. A homebrewer could make test batches on his own equipment, treat it as homebrew and then apply the recipe for his commercial nanobrewery. But, if test batches were made through the commercial nanobrewery, then they would be a business expense that should be tax deductible. Great. We made a test batch, and got to save a little dough that would have gone to Uncle Sam. But who gets to drink the test batch? You can't legally give it away for free, right? Do you need to hire test drinkers? That seems ludicrous, but this is the law we're talking about, so the more ridiculous the necessary course of action, the more likely it is to comply with the law. Anyone have any answer for this one?

I have never heard that commercial breweries can't give away beer. In fact, I know of several in the area that routinely give it away at tours, tastings, parties, etc.. Perhaps there's a state law in Ohio that prohibits it? Definitely no such law in North Carolina.

I think it's a state/local law that may prohibit giving away samples. I know some breweries charge a tasting fee, just as wineries do.

I have never heard that commercial breweries can't give away beer. In fact, I know of several in the area that routinely give it away at tours, tastings, parties, etc.. Perhaps there's a state law in Ohio that prohibits it? Definitely no such law in North Carolina.

I give sample bottles away as a way to get business. If I had to charge a bar to taste my beer they would never buy it. If a customer comes into the shop I have to charge for tasters. Even if I only charge $.10, it's still a charge.
If I have a bad batch I still have to log it as a business brew but I also get to write it off as dumped. Any beer that leaves my brewery to be sold or as sold, gets taxed. I also have to list beer that is used for employee use.

You can't legally cross the street unless it's a dedicated crosswalk. You can't legally urinate on public property. You can't legally kick some guys ass for slapping your lady on the ass. You can't legally consume marijuana for recreational purposes. You can't legally drive 5 miles over the speed limit.

See where I'm going with this?

I give sample bottles away as a way to get business.

Even if I only charge $.10, it's still a charge.
I also have to list beer that is used for employee use.

You charge that price of $.10 they'll come hell i'll come from the bay area, Alameda.

Now that sucks, this should be considered as spillage or normal with the business. The winery in Alameda we know the owner that has sold the business, before this we would stop by with their workers when they had their afternoon break. This would be 4-5 bottles of wine for all coffee or smoke break, wrote off as spillage or broken bottles. A rather loose but told a nornal thing in the wine business. I was thinking the Feds would want every bottle accounted for tax purposes.

I give sample bottles away as a way to get business.

Even if I only charge $.10, it's still a charge.

You charge that price of $.10 they'll come hell i'll come from the bay area, Alameda.

Now that sucks, this should be considered as spillage or normal with the business. The winery in Alameda we know the owner that has sold the business, before this we would stop by with their workers when they had their afternoon break. This would be 4-5 bottles of wine for all coffee or smoke break, wrote off as spillage or broken bottles. A rather loose but told a nornal thing in the wine business. I was thinking the Feds would want every bottle accounted for tax purposes.

I don't charge $.10 but I could. I was at a BevMo awhile back and the Sierra Nevada rep was there giving tasters of some of their beers and he charged $.25 each because he had to. Can't give away tasters publicly.
The wine lobby is much stronger and older than the beer lobby. Winers get away with a lot more than brew people can. None of the health codes that I had to go through to open the shop applied to my brother's wine tasting.
They do want every beer bottle/keg accounted for because they want the tax revenue.

Your CA Type 23 License allows you to give samples out for free on the brewery premises, like a tasting room and you can provide samples to people who hold liquor licenses for the purpose of resale (ie. bar owners, etc). Beyond that, though, the only time giving beer to an actual consumer is permitted is at festivals, etc. and that's generally only because the attendees have paid an admission fee.

Your CA Type 23 License allows you to give samples out for free on the brewery premises, like a tasting room and you can provide samples to people who hold liquor licenses for the purpose of resale (ie. bar owners, etc). Beyond that, though, the only time giving beer to an actual consumer is permitted is at festivals, etc. and that's generally only because the attendees have paid an admission fee.

Thanks, that makes sense. At the Tasting I did, the customers paid $25 at the door for a glass to go around to each beer vendor and sample their beer. They also got food too. I wasn't paid for the beer except in advertising.

This is such bull ****! Now I'm being told that I owe $3.00 for some reason. If this is what has been holding things up then why wasn't I told this a long time ago? What total wankers!!!!

EDIT: Here's the message I got from the ABC: "There is a note in the system stating you owe $3.00. Please send a check
for $3.00."

Doesn't tell me who to send it to, where to send it or why I wasn't told about it.

After sending them the $3 check. They'll wait six months to tell you that they applied a check processing fee of $5 to your $3 check, so they have been awaiting your additional payment before processing your application.

I was talking to a wine master friend today that works for a large winery in Livermore Calif. he's also a home brewer and knows how the Feds look down on bier breweries as second class people vs wineries. Wineries go to the top of the list with applications to serve alcohol. Rather sad wine snobs vs bier brewers, the tensions there.

I was talking to a wine master friend today that works for a large winery in Livermore Calif. he's also a home brewer and knows how the Feds look down on bier breweries as second class people vs wineries. Wineries go to the top of the list with applications to serve alcohol. Rather sad wine snobs vs bier brewers, the tensions there.

It's everywhere too. My brother, the winer, was with me at the beer tasting and he even said it was quite a different crowd there vs. a wine tasting. At the beer tasting it was a younger crowd, more laid back and not as snobby as at the wine tasting. I'll take laid back over snobbish any day, thank you very much.

Well, it's about damn time, dontcha think? :ban::ban::ban:

Good on ya, Hoss! You knew it was simply a matter of time! Celebrate!

glenn514:mug:

Here's a couple of pics of the shop.

Not much has changed but this is a shot from across the street.
View attachment 13809

This shows where I'll be in relation to my brother who will be to the left of the picture and another person selling almond rocka will be at the end.
View attachment 13810

I swung by to come taste your beer last weekend but didn't see anything on the sign relating to beer. I guess you didn't have you license yet. In any case the place was closed up at about 6pm (IIRC). Oh well, the wife and I tried Savory's down the street and had a great dinner. Next time.

Back