Dunkles Weissbier Arkador's Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkador

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wheat Beer Yeast (E941)
Yeast Starter
N/A
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Possibly my best brew yet
Grains
0.75 pounds Belgian Plisen Malt 8.5% of grist
0.75 pounds American Wheat Malt 8.5% of grist

Extracts
3.33 pounds LME - Wheat 37.7% of grist
4.00 pounds DME - Light 45.3% of grist

Hops
1oz Cascade 7.1% Pellets

Yeast
Wheat Beer Yeast (E941) — Dry — 11.5g

6.5% ABV

steep 30min @152 degrees in 1gallon of water
Sparge with 155 degrees, 1gallon of water

bring to boil, remove from heat

add malt extract, stir in, return to boil
add 1oz Cascade
Boil 60min
chill wort and top off to 5gal

Primary for 8 days @ 70-72

kegged at 38degrees for 7 days (30psi for the first 36 hours), and then served at 13psi

On Draft in 14days! (picture taken after a couple sips)
CIMG1688.jpg

I'll be brewing this one tomorrow. I am using American red wheat instead since my LHBS was all out of the regular kind. I'll let you know how it turns out! Looks delicious.

They sold the wheat only in 1lb increments... will it be a big deal to use the extra half pound?

Only 1 way to tell.... I don't think it will make a ton of difference. Will probably change the color.

I made this for a babyshower, so the husbands would feel welcome to attend. The guys spent most of the time in the garage, and the wives drove home from the party. Everyone really enjoyed this.

I also entrered it into my homebrew club's monthly competition, and placed 1st for June 2009!

Oh man this is a GREAT brew! This is the best homebrew I have done so far, without a doubt. Granted, I love the style.

I just had my first bottle today...amazing. Great flavor profile, with big hints of banana and subtle clove (I went with WLP 300 yeast), very smooth finish and quite a kick. (My batch came out to 6.2% ABV.) The mini mash gives a much deeper flavor than other 100% extract recipes I've done.

Plus... my wife LOVES it!

Give this a try, you will not be disappointed...

I'm interested in trying this recipe. What yeast did you use and what would you recommend as an alternative if i cant find the oe you used? I a noob and don't know what e941 is. lol

Just brewed this again tonight. Used 1 lb. of American red wheat and 1 lb of Belgian pilsen. The OG is 1.068 so it'll have a bigger abv but that's juuuuusssttt fine by me =)

My mother-in-law, who NEVER drinks beer, absolutely loved this, and that's all I'm sayin'.... Brew this beer.

Looks and sounds like a great brew, but how is it a dunkelweizen? Your SRM puts you in the hefeweizen range, dunkelweizen starts at 14 SRM. Not trying to knock it, just curious at how you arrived at decision this is a dunkelweizen.

Looks and sounds like a great brew, but how is it a dunkelweizen? Your SRM puts you in the hefeweizen range, dunkelweizen starts at 14 SRM. Not trying to knock it, just curious at how you arrived at decision this is a dunkelweizen.

it was tasted by a National BJCP judge, who advised me of the proper catagory. This scored 37 points on the BJCP scale in the Dunkelwizen catagory. Color is only worth 1 point. I was brewing it to be a Hefeweizen, but was advised to enter it as a dunkel.

I'm interested in trying this recipe. What yeast did you use and what would you recommend as an alternative if i cant find the oe you used? I a noob and don't know what e941 is. lol

Sorry i missed your post earlier, any LHBS worth a danm has dry Wheat Ale Yeast (I used dry to save a buck on this one), or as Williamston said, WhiteLabs or Wyeast both have a Heffewizen yeast.

I'm giving this a go right now. It's my first venture into partial mash. It's fermenting at my girlfriend's place right now, her house smells like delicious beer.

I also made it with American red wheat instead of American wheat, 3.5 lb LME instead of 3.33, and a dry munich yeast. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

got this in the primary... used 5 lbs of DME instead since that's what the packaging size was, also added 1/2 gal h2o. started at 1.070, but after 14 days i'm only down to 1.030? was planning on having this bottled already, but the slow fermentation has prevented that. either way, i'm excited to get to drink this one.

Yeah, I guess not really a PM at all.

As an update, I made this back in November. I used red wheat instead of American wheat and used Munton's Gold for the yeast out of practical convenience. I also ended up using 4# of LME because I figured it made more sense to toss it in then let .67# sit around in my fridge going bad/moldy. As a result, it ended up a little stronger. By my shifty math, it came out to close to 8% ABV.

I let it sit in the primary for a month and had to wait over another month in the bottle before it mellowed out and lost the hot alcohol flavor. Now it's quite delicious and smooth. It still has a good wheat flavor, even though it is now four, almost five months old. I've found it really delicious with a slice of orange. It is about the same color as the Arkador's pic, a little redder, but definitely much clearer as a result of using generic ale yeast instead of wheat ale yeast.

I'd highly encourage trying this recipe out if anybody is looking for a good extract dunkel.

hey fellas, I brewed this beer up last weekend using Danstar's Munich yeast. I tried a 73 degree fermentation, and it finished up in under a week. i bottle yesterday, so I will let you know how it turns out. I tweaked the recipe a touch by adding orange zest, coriander, and some aroma hops. We will see how that turns out. It has a great color and smell. It actually smelled pretty strong!

I used your recipe as a basis for mine. I basically used stuff I had to create something totally different.

1 lb american wheat malt
1 lb belgian pale ale malt
4 lbs light dme
3.33 wheat lme
1 oz cascade 60 min
1 oz amarillo 5 min
1/2 oz orange bitter peel 15 min
1/2 oz corriander 15 min
1 whar tab
wyeast belgian pale ale 3942 activator

og 1.061
IBU 27
SRM 17-22

Seems as though mine might fit into the weizenbock catagory though, Im not quite sure?

Just made this brew yesterday. We'll see how it turns out and thanks for the starting point:mug:

Just pulled from the Primary for a gravity reading, and holy crap, this is going to be a great brew. It's been in there for a week already, but the gravity hasn't fallen far enough yet. Me thinks it'll need about 2 weeks total, but from the sample I've tasted, this is one of the best, fast turn-around Dunkel's I've come across. Great recipe, Arkador.

40602_476984871958_675761958_6564381_3947914_n.jpg

I gave it a total of 12 days, cause i needed it carbed and ready to go for a friend coming in town.

Great brew.

I'm thinking it will only get better with a little keg aging, if it doesn't fly out of keezer. Here's a pic of it hanging out with my Pignose.

8 days primary, no time for settling/conditioning?

I figure I will give it a bit longer before I head over to bottling, or add finings at least to get it to clear up faster. Looks good though, will try it soon!

There's no need for finings. It's supposed to be cloudy; its a weiss. This also means that there's no need for a secondary. Fermentation for me was over in less than two weeks, at which time i kegged and forced carbed. Its a great little extract that tastes better young.

you don't clear a hefe/dunkelweizen. they're supposed to be cloudy. chris will be pleased his recipe is taking on status :)

Upon reading this thread, I was forced to go and pour a pint of this tasty beverage. Damn, it's nice.

So, two months later, and I have about 1/4 keg left. I must say, with the age, it has blossomed into a great Dunkel. You can't tell that it's an extract. I will be making this again.

Hello All:
I'm new to homebrewing. I found this recipe and decided to give it a try. I've attempted to make a couple of batches with a Mr. Beer kit (west coast pale ale and a Mocha Cherry Irish Stout). The pale ale was undrinkable and the stout is still fermenting. I think the stout will turn out much better since I think I identified what I did wrong the first time around.

I've upgraded to better equipment and I'm going to get all of the ingredients today. Since I'm a noob I'll likely have dumb questions along the way. Any help that any of you experts could provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

did somebody miss that dunkelweison means dark wheat?Or did i miss something?

I brewed this one on Sunday with a few adjustments. I used Hallertauer hops instead of Cascade and I used Wyeast Weihenstephaner 3068. The fermentation on this beer is unreal. I can't wait to see how it is coming along once the bubbling subsides.

Glad you guys have been enjoying this recipe. I have been on a HUGE kick of brewing stouts and porters, and have not made this in almost 2 years. I am going to have to put this next in the rotation (if it ever drops below 100deg days again)

So im thinking about combining this recipe with a post from the lambic forum about gathering wild yeasts. Ill let yall know how it turns out

Why do you sparge if the grains are specialty. Dont you just steep them, remove, add extract and boil?

finally kegged it today, I've found that with the temperature and humidity here in Broome my ferment time needs 2 weeks at primary and then 2 weeks at secondary, anything less brings out a very mediochre brew.
end results are so similar to yours Arkador except due to the extended racking times it is a clearer beer, still dark with the wheat style but less sediment. will be spearing this in about a week, if it tastes as good as it looks and tastes now I'll do a 55L batch
Cheers & beers all

Henry22 said:
Why do you sparge if the grains are specialty. Dont you just steep them, remove, add extract and boil?

You need at least 2 gallons pre boil. I do it this way yo extract as much as I can from the grain. I move the grain bag to a strainer at the top of the kettle and pour hot water over it.

This isn't really a partial mash, just an Extract brew with specialty grains.

I’m confused. Beer Wiki shows Belgian Pilsner 2-row requires a mash. I can’t find American Wheat, but it shows German Wheat requires a mash. I’m lost on why this isn’t considered a partial mash???

I’m confused. Beer Wiki shows Belgian Pilsner 2-row requires a mash. I can’t find American Wheat, but it shows German Wheat requires a mash. I’m lost on why this isn’t considered a partial mash???

It's sort of a mini-mash. I mean, any time you're soaking malted grains in water between 140-160 degrees for any length of time, it can be considered a mash of sorts, right?

I love this recipe. I brew it all the time. I upped the grains to 1# each and brewed a batch with an OG of 1.070 a few weeks ago.

So I am drinking my first batch of this and it is delicious.

I did not measure OG, but FG was 1.010 with 14 days in primary then bottled. Then a week in the bottles and it tastes fantastic.

Next time I brew this (probably in a month or so), I would like to add oatmeal to the specialty grain bill, as well as some leftover 45L Candi Syrup in the boil with the aroma hops. Any thoughts on quantity of oats? I was thinking 1 lb, but this would be the first time I have used oatmeal in a recipe, so that could be off.

Any input appreciated!

Back