How Long does Ferm take to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzoard

Reaction score
I added my yeast on Mon eve (SG of juice was 1056) and nothing thus far. I understand that it can take a few days to start to ferment, but at what point do I start to worry and is there anything that can be done if fermentation doesn't start?

I ask this question as my last batch of apple juice didn't ferment at all and I threw it away after 3 weeks.

Thanks for any response!

Did you use pressed apples or apple juice from the store? Some apple juices (even ciders from farms) can contain preservatives that will inhibit fermentation.

Did you prepare your yeast starter properly? Normally this isn't a problem, but it is a possibility. The yeast could even be expired.

Are you 100% that it isn't bubbling already? Make sure that your airlock is secured tightly. If using a bucket, make sure the lid is on tight. Gas will take the path of least resistance and if you have a small hole it will likely escape through there rather than push through your air lock. Also, make sure your airlock is filled properly (to the line).

Did you add anything to the cider when pitching the yeast? Adding certain chemicals or tablets (such as campden tablets) can inhibit yeast. That's one common mistake people will do, is add tablets right before or after adding yeast.

I hope we can help you out, hard cidermaking is a great hobby. It could also just be a very slow fermentation. If nothing works out, take another gravity reading to make sure.

I would have to say just wait a couple more days- I have a mixed grape/apple/mixed berry juice(I was bored:eek:) in the ferment right now and it took almost 5 days to really show any signs of life- now it is bubbling away like it is boiling.
For me I just think it is how cool I keep the house set at in the winter. 65 f But once it started it is really going.

Im in the same boat, I started on Monday too and no bubbling yet...

I realized after I used the apple cider I bought that it contained Potassium sorbate, which was a dumb move on my part...

I used 6 litres of the apple cider (which was pasteurized and had no sugar added, and the label said it contained 57 grams of sugar) about 18-19 litres of water, and 6 cups of corn sugar, 1 cup of regular sugar... my OG was 1.035

I used some dry nottingham ale yeast, and used double the amount I was suppose to use ( I hate saving yeast ) but I didnt prep it, I just sprinkled it in the wort and gently mixed it in...

it would suck if this doesn't ferment

I realized after I used the apple cider I bought that it contained Potassium sorbate, which was a dumb move on my part...

its not going to ferment sorry.

Izzoard check your gravity. if its gone down then you have fermentation and possibly a leak in your fermenter.

Izzoard check your gravity. if its gone down then you have fermentation and possibly a leak in your fermenter.

Ive read some post that say, it can still ferment but its going to be really slow, I figured that since I only used 6 litres of the apple cider and 18-19 litres of water and 7 cups of sugar it might still have a chance...

no?

Ive read some post that say, it can still ferment but its going to be really slow, I figured that since I only used 6 litres of the apple cider and 18-19 litres of water and 7 cups of sugar it might still have a chance...

no?

If I had to bet, I'd bet no.

You might be able to take some fresh yeast, and start with non-preserved cider and get a big yeast starter going. Then, add a little of your must to it gradually, to ensure that it keeps going. You may be able to overcome the preservatives that way.

But otherwise, I'd say no.

damm, all that for nothing, Im going to give it 2 more days then if still nothing, I guess Im dumping it....boo-urns

Im in the same boat, I started on Monday too and no bubbling yet...

I used 6 litres of the apple cider (which was pasteurized and had no sugar added, and the label said it contained 57 grams of sugar) about 18-19 litres of water, and 6 cups of corn sugar, 1 cup of regular sugar... my OG was 1.035

I used some dry nottingham ale yeast, and used double the amount I was suppose to use ( I hate saving yeast ) but I didnt prep it, I just sprinkled it in the wort and gently mixed it in...

it would suck if this doesn't ferment

If you only used 6 liters of apple cider and 18 to 19 liters of water, wouldn't that be a very weak flavor of apple in your cider? Or is the 6 liters of apple cider a concentrate?

I used Nottingham yeast with apple juice the other night and the airlock was bubbling in the morning. I did rehydrate the yeast in water and slowly added juice to the yeast every few minutes to equal the temp.

ahhh dump it and start over. you will soon forget the 25 bucks or so when your new batch is boiling away, ill tell ya a few bottles of the graff and im soooooo glad i dumped my mistake and started over.:mug:

I see the lid pushing up on my bucket, like it wants to squeeze the CO2 out but doesnt... there are a bunch of very small air pockets in the airlock, which leads me to think that it is fermenting but tremendously slow...

like I push down on the lid a little bit to squeeze the co2 out and the airlock bubbles, but the bucket doesnt stay empty, after a while I check back on it and again I can squeeze more co2 out of it.... I say co2 but I guess it could be air? maybe?

Did you use pressed apples or apple juice from the store? Some apple juices (even ciders from farms) can contain preservatives that will inhibit fermentation.

Did you prepare your yeast starter properly? Normally this isn't a problem, but it is a possibility. The yeast could even be expired.

Are you 100% that it isn't bubbling already? Make sure that your airlock is secured tightly. If using a bucket, make sure the lid is on tight. Gas will take the path of least resistance and if you have a small hole it will likely escape through there rather than push through your air lock. Also, make sure your airlock is filled properly (to the line).

Did you add anything to the cider when pitching the yeast? Adding certain chemicals or tablets (such as campden tablets) can inhibit yeast. That's one common mistake people will do, is add tablets right before or after adding yeast.

I hope we can help you out, hard cidermaking is a great hobby. It could also just be a very slow fermentation. If nothing works out, take another gravity reading to make sure.

Made juice from apples and a kitchen fruit juicer. Used general wine yeast (dried) and followed instructions to hydrate it.

I added about 1g campden, waited 36hrs before adding the yeast.

One probelm is ambient temperature in my kitchen (whole house) raises and drops throughout the day as the central heating comes on first thing, off during day, on in the eve and off at night.

I'll do that, but I have glass demijohns, with brand new rubber glove style stops (fit like a comdomn) - they'd seem unlikely to leak.

I'll do that, but I have glass demijohns, with brand new rubber glove style stops (fit like a comdomn) - they'd seem unlikely to leak.

OK, so I took another SG reading, it's 1056 - exactly what it started at (still tastes nice).

A while ago, I started 2 batches (1 apples, 1 pears). The pears fermented, the apples didn't. I repeatedly added yeast solution over the course of 3 weeks and nothing. Note: the 2 batches of apples were from two different sources.

Any ideas?

Cheers! (or not as the case is with me ;))

hey hey!!!

so I checked my fermenter just now, and ITS BUBBLING!!! WOO HOO!!!! LIKE 4-5 Bubbles every 5 seconds!!!! This is amazing!... it didnt do anything for the first week and a bit and now its going like a champ!

Back