Bottled First Batch Today - One Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhegarty

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of brew today, after 14 days in the secondary. I took care of the entire process while the wifey was at work. Everything was sparking clean when she walked in like nothing had happened. Kind of like when you were a kid and had a party at your parents house and went above and beyond to clean everything to the point where it was noticeably too clean. I made one mistake. I cleaned the secondary in the sink and poured the yeast cake down the drain. Now an extreme smell of sulfur is coming from the sink. Any thoughts on how to get rid of this or will it just dissipate with time.

I bottled my first batch of brew today, after 14 days in the secondary. I took care of the entire process while the wifey was at work. Everything was sparking clean when she walked in like nothing had happened. Kind of like when you were a kid and had a party at your parents house and went above and beyond to clean everything to the point where it was noticeably too clean. I made one mistake. I cleaned the secondary in the sink and poured the yeast cake down the drain. Now an extreme smell of sulfur is coming from the sink. Any thoughts on how to get rid of this or will it just dissipate with time.

I have poured yeast cake down the drain twice now and I don't have any smells.

I don't usually smell sulfur after draining out the carboy but you can make the drain smell better by grinding up a lemon if you have a garbage disposal.

Wifey's, pissed. She has three candles going and is pouring baking soda and vinegar down the sink.

Haven't told her that the smell is from the yeast I poured down the sink.

Back