Strong Scotch Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 20% of rye malt should give it a sharp edge. I picture wee heavy more like having a plain maltyness. It should be interesting. Oak chips soaked in rum? Admittedly, rum has never been my favorite hard liquor. I think that would also lend a sharper finish than scotch.

The great thing is, it's your preference and your taste. I imagine scotch ales as sort of mellow. This is more of a sit-up-and-take-notice.

Please post your results!

The recipe actually started as one that I recently brewed (August) and just started drinking. It's a strong ale that I put together. I was looking for something with a bit of rye flavor and it worked pretty well. I like it so well that I want to brew it again, but don't really want to brew the same beer twice. The other part of the equation is that I don't ordinarily add anything to my beer for flavoring and just want to try something different. The rum soaked oak chip idea comes from drinking Innis and Gunn. Great beer.... Scottish ale. So I thought I'd give this a go to see how the flavor profile ends up.

It may not be a strong scotch ale exactly, but we do have to lable things, and this was the closest style I could find to the beer that I am brewing.

I suppose we could just call it an oak aged strong rye ale.

Sounds like a Scotch ale to me - by way of the East Indies. Just say it was the result of a Scots being shanghaied by an Englishman, and they resolved their differences with a few pints of wee heavy brewed on the way. :)

Brewed this one today. OG 1.071. Not sure if it's going to taste good, but the color was a beautiful carmel brown. I really can't wait to taste it. Not sure if I'm going to do the oak chips yet or not. I'll have to wait and see.

Racked to secondary and put the beer in the freezer to cold crash. Took a sample for a taste, and this is going to be a good beer. Nice and malty.

Not sure if it's "exactly" a strong scotch ale, but whatever it is I'll be happy with.

I bottled and kegged this beer today.

OG was 1.071, FG 1.015... 7.28%

The sample was fantastic. There was alcohol and malt on the nose. Very malt forward. The wife said she tasted alcohol, I got malt. No heat in the alcohol.. just a good flavor. I got malt and a bit of chocolate. Mouthfeel is low to medium.

Can't wait to try this one after carbonation and a week or two in the fridge.

Forgot to mention... I didn't add oak chips to this one. I decided not to so that I could see what the beer tasted like before adding that element.

I've been drinking this for about a week now. What a great beer this is..

Caramel and chocolate. 7.3% ABV... very malty, and very smooth. This will go down too easily.

100_3044.jpg

smccarter said:
I've been drinking this for about a week now. What a great beer this is.

Caramel and chocolate. 7.3% ABV... very malty, and very smooth. This will go down too easily.

Fine looking brew.

Back