Thats not a knife...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
image-3682720162.jpg

I have an old/authentic Gurkha knife.

A Swiss army pocket knife (I basically only use it for the scissors...)

And a nice fold-able Gerber that does me well when camping and when I fail at whittling.

Um I could post some of my knives but not sure which ones to post. I have multiple knives that I use for everyday carry, a few for camping, a few for protection, a few for work, a few just for fun. I think my total knife collection is way over $1000.

My favorite is this one for everyday carry:
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=3
Its a great small useful knife to carry everyday

Favorite camping knife:
http://www.coldsteel.com/recontanto.html
Great all purpose for camping can handle anything I toss at it

Throwing knife:
http://www.coldsteel.com/trueflight.html

Got a couple kukri for the impending zombie apocalypse ;)

Those are my favorites but I have a couple dozen folding for everyday carry

Oh yea, the zombie apocalypse. I am ready too. Mosberg 500 shotie, 9mm, a 30-06, machete and some big knives too. Oh and a throwing tomahawk.

Just like a _____, bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I don't carry anything for personal protection. I stay away from places where I think I would need some and pray that I don't need any an other times.

If Zombie Apocalypse time comes I will be arming myself to the max. High powered firearms!

Im a little paranoid when it comes to protection, I always feel like something will happen at any moment so I like to have a knife. Plus other than a rock as a hammer, or a stick as club, a knife was the first real tool made by humans and is very useful for things other than hurting someone.

I can see the usefulness of carrying a knife around, but for personal protection? lol.

I always carry at least one knife on my and usually I's a Zero Tolerance Kershaw as my SWMBO work's for Kershaw so I have no shortage of bad ass knifes!

I can see the usefulness of carrying a knife around, but for personal protection? lol.

Ive got to say that a knife can be one of the best forms of a personal weapon if you actually know what your doing. there have been many combat studies done on gun vs knife and short of 20' the guy with the knife just about always wins. not to say that he did not get shot perhaps but he lived where as the other guy died... and also there the best multi use tools around!:mug:

I change it up often, but I'm currently carrying a Spyderco Delica 4 with a full flat grind in blue. Mainly as a tool, not so much for protection.

IMG_9457.jpg

*Not my picture

I have a 2003 Harley Davidson Fatboy, bought it used in 2006. First thing I did was change the oil. The oil dipstick is a dagger. I thought HD just put it in there to make it outlaw-ish. Took the bike to the shop the other day and the owner looked my bike over and said "you're not from around here are you?". I told him I'd lived here for around three years and asked why he would say that. He told me the dagger oil cap was illegal in CA and I could be arrested on a felony charge for carrying a concealed weapon. Sort of freaked me out. I'll probably change it out for a normal oil cap.

It looks something like this. imagesCAHD70DJ.jpg

Zuljin said:
So you would have no problem with people carrying around switchblades, Bowies, dirks, daggers and poniards?

How about swords?

I'm comfortable with the limit on blade lengths currently in place.

Dan said:
I have a 2003 Harley Davidson Fatboy, bought it used in 2006. First thing I did was change the oil. The oil dipstick is a dagger. I thought HD just put it in there to make it outlaw-ish. Took the bike to the shop the other day and the owner looked my bike over and said "you're not from around here are you?". I told him I'd lived here for around three years and asked why he would say that. He told me the dagger oil cap was illegal in CA and I could be arrested on a felony charge for carrying a concealed weapon. Sort of freaked me out. I'll probably change it out for a normal oil cap.

It looks something like this.

That's bad ass:)

It is pretty BA, but I'm going to get rid of it. Really don't want any trouble with the law.

Agreed. I dont think people should just be freewheeling swords but I feel like what were allowed to "legally" carry is perfectly legitimate. My Smith and Wesson is very handy. I also think switchblades should be legal, the reasons behind their banning is just idiotic and baseless.

What I carry for personal protection, although I only carry when working in the less desirable parts of the city. (This is a stock image, not my serial #)
3032_tomcat.jpg

What i carry daily for general use. Not the best unit out there by any means, but it was inexpensive, holds an edge pretty well, and after a couple of adjustments there is zero play in the blade.
Smith-Wesson-CH002B-rw-16654-28440.jpg

Switch blades are legal. It's up to the state to decide. Here in Oregon switch blades, ballisongs and the like are all perfectly legal to carry and conceal. I carry a sweet Kershaw ZT switch blade and an other Kershaw switch and butterfly from time to time and love having an auto on me for ease of use and quickness of readiness.

image-3441567258.jpg

Picked this up at a gay pride parade ;) no just kidding, got it at a gun show for $5 couldn't pass it up.

It looks something like this. View attachment 74541

Cool. Keep it as keep sake. Having it at home aint illegal.

View attachment 74598

Picked this up at a gay pride parade ;) no just kidding, got it at a gun show for $5 couldn't pass it up.

They look cool, but all the ones I've got to play with were kinda junky. Mid grade at best. How's yours?

Now hold on. You lol'd at a knife as protection, so why not allow longer knives?

Zuljin said:
Now hold on. You lol'd at a knife as protection, so why not allow longer knives?

(Last I checked, this wasn't the debate section, so this is the last post I'm going to make here.)

Because there's no good reason to carry around a sword, and you can still do a lot of harm with something even if it's not that effective at protecting a life.

There's nothing hypocritical about it, sorry. I think there can be a reasonable limit for knives just as there can be a reasonable limit for guns... I am not at all an advocate of an outright ban on guns, and the same with knives. Though comparing the two as you are attempting to do is ridiculous, as it's actually pretty difficult to kill somebody with a knife, and there's a good chance that an attacker will end up being the casualty even if the target is unarmed; a person with a gun just points and shoots, making it a much safer decision than attacking somebody with a knife. I know if I really wanted to kill somebody, I'd think twice if I had to do so with a knife.

You will try to make it sound absurd by demonstrating that the "limit" is arbitrary. And it may technically be so. But the thing is, I'm fine with that, because an arbitrary limit can still be effective at restricting the intended items. It may end up restricting some unintended items at the same time, but a little such collateral "damage" is fine with me, as there will still be plenty of knives/guns/widgets available for legal, legitimate use.

Kay?

I don't carry for personal protection, but this knife is my #1 tool. My grandfather made the handle, and the blade is some famous German brand, don't know the name off of the top of my head.

IMG_0446.jpg

I don't carry for personal protection, but this knife is my #1 tool. My grandfather made the handle, and the blade is some famous German brand, don't know the name off of the top of my head.

That looks like something some backwoods, homicidal maniac in a slasher movie horror show would be running around hacking up teenage girls with.

I like it.

But I don't like carrying fixed blades. They have a connotation to them. Looks like you're up to no good, unless you're camping or fishing or something.

Whatever. If you're going to carry a knife, for whatever reason, best to just carry a plain jane lock blade. You get stopped with that, and hey, it's just a pocket knife. Or a multi-tool, cause then you're just one of those multi-tool guys. Hey, while I got ya here, maybe you can fix my windshield wiper. It makes a scrapey noise.

But get stopped and pull out the dragon slayer demon blade with spiked knuckles and all of a sudden you're a trouble maker. Oh, what you doin with this? Opening boxes, huh? I don't think so. You got any other knives, guns or nuclear weapons on you? Anything that can stick me? Anything in the car I should know about? Lemme tell ya, if there were something in the car you should know about, I'm calling that something you should not know about.

The answer to those questions, should you need them, are, "It's not weapon grade, 10 pounds of meth and a dead hooker." They never check. Seriously. If you want to transport nuclear weapons, methamphetamines and dead hookers, just be honest about it. They'll never believe you.

image-1718630576.jpg

This is my carry knife. Only kidding, a buddy left that in my truck after a camping trip.

I usually carry this. It's a little silver stag I got as a gift after shooting my first deer. When I dont feel like wearing a fixes blade I carry a generic gerber in my pocket. I don't really carry a knife for defense, they're just a good utility item to have.

image-1970239819.jpg

Back