APA Recipe Feedback - Panucci's Pizza Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxSpang

Reaction score
Looking to make a fairly basic hoppy APA for my first all-grain. Looking for some feedback

Panucci's Pizza Pale Ale
10-A American Pale Ale

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 171.79 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.052 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 7.73 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 5.08% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 45.5 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
9.0 lb American 2-row
0.25 lb Munich Malt
1.0 lb Caramel Malt 20L
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
0.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
0.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
0.0 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.17

I like the Cascade/Amarillo flavor combination so this looks good to me. Seems to be a pretty straight forward APA. I am not sure why you are addind the Munich. If you want the more malty flavor I would suggest you add more. If you are looking for the color I would suggest that the L 20 crystal will overpower it.

badhabit said:
I like the Cascade/Amarillo flavor combination so this looks good to me. Seems to be a pretty straight forward APA. I am not sure why you are addind the Munich. If you want the more malty flavor I would suggest you add more. If you are looking for the color I would suggest that the L 20 crystal will overpower it.

I added the Munich for a bit of maltiness since there will be a decent amount of hoppiness, and I'm throwing in the Crystal for a bit of color and flavor. I guess having half a pound of both wouldn't be too bad - bumping up the Munich and pulling back the Crystal.

You might also consider Vienna if it is the malty flavor you are looking for. It will give you more of the malty flavors than the Munich.

Back