Ryan's Chocolate Orange Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-04
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 @ 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 @ 65F
Tasting Notes
See below
NOTE: Above where it says 1 day/4 days, that is really in weeks. Good catch!

14 lbs. American 2-row
1 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
12 oz. Roasted Barley
9 oz. American Black Patent
7 oz. Crystal Malt 120°L
22 oz. Oats Flaked
1 lbs. Lactose

.5 oz. Nugget (Whole, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.5 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 2 min.

1 ounces Valencia Orange Peel (soaked in vodka, added @ bottling)
1 ounces Tangelo Orange Peel (soaked in vodka, added @ bottling)
1 ounces Blood Orange Peel (soaked in vodka, added @ bottling)
8 ounces Cocoa Powder (boiled 10 mins)

Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04

SDC13986.jpg

It is known for its singularity and unusual marketing - usually at its heaviest around Christmas - Terry's Chocolate Orange is a ball of chocolate mixed with orange oil, divided into 20 "segments", and wrapped in orange-coloured foil. As the segments, when packaged, are stuck together firmly, the traditional method of getting ready to eat them is to whack it severely on a hard surface to cause the segments to separate from each other.

SDC14109.jpg

Continuing Dubbel Dachs long tradition of unusual Christmas beers, Ryan's Chocolate Orange Stout aims to bring the appeal of the British candy orange to the palate of discriminating beer drinkers stateside. Available in 22 oz. bottles just before Christmas 2009 (if I like you).

SDC14111.jpg

Yes - I got two actual chocolate oranges airmailed across the pond... Broke them and rewrapped them in 4" orange foil squares from Chocoley.com. Then, I hot glued the ribbons together, then hot glued the candy to the ribbon. The foil up top is the same as I wrapped the candy in.

How does the taste compare to the candy?

Just noticed, 8.3%ABV...nice!!!

It could use more orange. I soaked the zest of each of the oranges in vodka, then added at bottling. In the future, I'd use maybe a zest and a half of each? Or maybe just go with all sweet orange. The orange needs tinkering with. Everything else is tried and true - based off BYO's Breakfast Stout recipe which I keep tinkering with. Have made it as is, plus a vanilla stout, and chocolate orange.

It does go well with the candy. They compliment each other, so I'm glad I included the candy.

Is that 1 week in primary, 4 weeks in secondary, then another couple of weeks bottle carbing? Do you even bottle carb this?

...I don't really drink beer, more into cider and mead for homebrewing, but this recipe might convert me.

alright, i know that you do carb stouts now. this would require 3/4 cup of dextrose at bottling... is that what the 4 week period is about though? or is it 5 weeks in carboy and then 2-3 in bottles?

I tried something a little similar to this - Here's the recipe that I tried -

6 lbs Munton's Light DME
1 lb Chocolate
.5 lb Roasted Barley
.5 lb Black Patent
1 oz Fuggles (60 min)
1 oz Kent Goldings (10 min)
1 lb Lactose Powder (30 min)
2 oz Sweet Orange Peel (added to secondary)
1 packet Safeale US-05 (11.5 grams)

I just tried a bottle last night, and I experienced the same issues as the OP had with his recipe with not tasting the orange. Its still a pretty decent sweet stout, but negligible orange flavor. Then again, I differed as I added it to the secondary and not at bottling. Maybe I should have added a larger amount, and to the boil?

I'm working on a recipe for this that I'm going to brew in a couple days. Mine will have a lower og and abv so it actually fits within the oatmeal stout category without the addition of the lactose, cocoa and oranges. I'm also trying to locate fat-free cocoa powder to help with head retention.
Anyway, taking Dubbel Dach's advice of using more orange I'm thinking of 1oz sweet orange peel and the zest of 2 organic oranges last 5 mins of boil. Then sectioning the 2 oranges and steeping them in the wort from flameout for 30 mins.
Any thoughts on this process? I've never done it beforec but calagionec recomends this process for fruit in his Extreme Brewing book.

Subbed, I think this will be the next one the wife and I make. We're thinking of soaking the zest and some oak in Grand Marnier for sanitizing instead of vodka to increase the Orange hints.

making this for the christmas season. not sure how much orange I'll add though. Probably add sweet peel to the boil and then zest in vodka to taste for bottling.

I was hoping to make a Chocolate Orange Stout myself and had some questions. First off, I was hoping to create a Stout that had noticeable flavors of dark chocolate bitterness and flavor with just a hint on Orange on the aroma and on the sip. I was going to brew a 5 Gal batch and was going to use this recipe as a guideline. Here is what I was wondering:

1. Should I adjust the amount of Cocoa used for the recipe in this thread?
2. How much Orange peel should I add to the secondary and when?

If anyone has any alternatives or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!!

Back