Great Lakes Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndMan3030

Reaction score
Just placed an order for 8 crowns from Great Lakes Hops. I have read previous threads from folks here on HBT, and they seem pretty legit. I live just outside Minneapolis, MN. Any advice from a fellow MN hop grower would be great.

:rockin:

Recieved my order a few days agao, got them potted last night (still waiting for snow to melt in MN). I ordered 7 crowns - 3-Columbus 3-Glacier & 1-Nugget. They threw in an extra "Lucky Dog" crown of the Crystal variety.

Hops 4-21-2013.jpg

yeah, WAY bigger than I expected. What did they give you for your "Lucky Dog?"

Chinook, I ordered Magnum, Glacier and US Golding. I'll definitely order from them again when I decide to expand the garden.

Recieved my order a few days agao, got them potted last night (still waiting for snow to melt in MN). I ordered 7 crowns - 3-Columbus 3-Glacier & 1-Nugget. They threw in an extra "Lucky Dog" crown of the Crystal variety.

These buggars are already growing bines 3 feet long! Planitng them in the ground on Saturday. I will be sure to post pics of their progress throughout the year.

:ban:

Just had mine delivered hours ago, just planted them. I ordered a Centennial crown and they sent me a free Fuggles crown. Cool!

These buggars are already growing bines 3 feet long! Planitng them in the ground on Saturday. I will be sure to post pics of their progress throughout the year.

:ban:

If you're planting on Saturday, do you have to dig through the snow first? :D

I can't believe that it's still snowing. It's May. And it's snowing. ARGGGGGHHHHH.

I am going to put some new rhizomes in the ground, from a friend here on the forum, next week if and when spring comes.

Looking out my window at work in Eden Praire, MN. BLOWING SNOW ?!?!? WHAT THE?? Tomorrow I am building a raised bed/hop trellis. It's gonna be 20' long by 3' wide and about 2' high. This snow in May thing is SUPER weak. supposed to warm up Sunday for good (crossing fingers)

:mad:

Looking out my window at work in Eden Praire, MN. BLOWING SNOW ?!?!? WHAT THE?? Tomorrow I am building a raised bed/hop trellis. It's gonna be 20' long by 3' wide and about 2' high. This snow in May thing is SUPER weak. supposed to warm up Sunday for good (crossing fingers)

:mad:

Crazy, huh?

I had to check the "school closings for May 3" on the school's website because we volunteer on Fridays for an afterschool program and I didn't know if there was school or not today! It's blowing, icy, and still snowing a bit.

I have some rhizomes planted in a pot, and I'm planning on digging some chinook up for a friend- but it's not spring yet I guess. :mad:

Well I got my raised bed/hop trellis built this weekend. Went pretty smoothly until my gal saw the poles and completely freaked out! I assured her it will look much better in a month! The raised bed is HUGE, so we will get pletny of use out of that for tomoatoes, peppers, herbs etc.. Should be done filling the raised be with dirt after work today and finally get my crown in the ground this evening.

Hop Trellis.jpg

Indeed they do! Will regular twine be ok to use for the bines to climb??

What about the 'main line' Ive got some rope up ther, but I'm worried about streching. what are ya'll using for that?

So if I ordered yesterday when does it arrive? So I know to have my wife start looking I'll be outta town

So, these got planted Sunday morning (5/12). Now they are all wilted and look like they are dying. It got down to about 43 deg Sunday night. Can I expect new bines to come up? really hope so!

Probably transplant shock if I were to guess. Keep the soil moist but not too wet and give it a few days. Hopefully they spring back and the bines start climbing.

Don't worry about it. I got mine 2 weeks ago and they did the same thing for the first couple of days. They should be just fine.

They grew like mad in their pots, there were bines all over my living room! I'm sure they'll rebound.

What type of so combo should I us? I think my plants have nutrient burn or from the sun possibly? They are in partial shade . Planted in miracle fro potting mix and used the spray.

image-267125109.jpg

Attachments

• image-2210008749.jpg
    image-2210008749.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 428
  • image-975072976.jpg
    image-975072976.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 415
  • image-2435419568.jpg
    image-2435419568.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 418
My crowns have re-bounded nicely. Here is a photo of the garden I helped a buddy build on Sunday. Ordering 6 Horizon, 3 Sterling and 3 Viking for this setup, all from Great Lakes Hops. I will post our progress.

Hopping Serious.jpg

yeah, these are 11 ft from the top of the box. so from the ground they are anywhere from 14 - 17 feet above the ground.

Planting the crowns in there this week. 5 Viking - 6 Horizon - 5 Willamette (I'm sure they will throw a 'Lucky dog' or 2 in there as well)

Back