favorite online mead supply store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
Just wondering what place folks like best for ordering mead supplies. My LHBS did not have mead nutrients, mead yeast or FermaidK so I'm looking to place an order.

I've bought supplies from my LHBS and Midwest, but whenever I need something that they don't carry, I use More Wine. You don't need mead yeast. Wine yeast works great.

http://morewinemaking.com/

Hi-- There are a bunch of places online to get brewing supplies. Northernbrewer, ECKraus, etc. But if you have a LHBS near you you really don't need to.

Your local store should have yeast energizer and yeast nutrient, either seperately or as a mixed powder blend. You don't need mead yeast... You can use champagne yeast, wine yeast, or even ale yeast. I always use D47 wine yeast. A friend of mine always uses champagne yeast.

I guess what I'm saying is you don't really have to buy "mead" yeast or "mead" nutrients, etc. Hell--you can even make mead using bread yeast from a grocery store. For nutrient--you can use raisins.

If you prefer to buy mead specific products--You might just do a google search for brewing supplies and then shop for the best prices.

Honey can get very expensive unless you find a cheap source from a bee keeper or similar source. I and many others I know can make great meads using jugs bought from GFS. Runs about $40 for 18lbs. Never had a problem with it. Good luck to you!

My LHBS is also an online retailer, and they have everything you could need, including the specific strains of 'mead' yeast...I do personally use Wyeast Dry Mead as my default yeast, but essentially, it's a strain of wine yeast, and multiple wine yeasts, and even beer yeast can make great mead. They do often have a variety of honeys that may not be up to date on the website, but I agree w/ thorson it would probably be better to try to buy that locally if possible...having looked into getting varietal honey by mail order in the past, they rape you on the shipping since it's so heavy (and maybe because it's liquid too...not sure about that).

I've used this place http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ several times. They were easy to use and ship timely, even send you an email letting you know your package is in the mail.
I'm fortunately, my LBH has several folks who brew mead, so they know what I'm talking about.

I use Northernbrewer for Mead stuff and Midwest Supplies for grains for beer. If I'm not particular about the honey I'm using, I get it from the LHBS (DeFalcos). They have blended varietal honey.

Back