Noticeable Legs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe legs refer to, hmm, how to describe...

The way the liquid clings to the glass. Not the foam sticking around, that would be lacing. In a dextrinous beer as you are sipping it there will be "residue" of the liquid trailing/streaking on the sides of the glass. Boy, that is hard to describe. Did that make sense?

I may not be right either, so I am interested to hear if what I have always presumed is correct.

I believe legs refer to, hmm, how to describe...

The way the liquid clings to the glass. Not the foam sticking around, that would be lacing. In a dextrinous beer as you are sipping it there will be "residue" of the liquid trailing on the sides of the glass. Boy, that is hard to describe. Did that make sense?

I may not be right either, so I am interested to hear if what I have always presumed is correct.

That's the way I understand it as well. I'll give you a visual example. Imagine you have a glass of syrup, and a glass of water. Now swirl it around so it coats the inside of the glass. If I'm right, the legs would be how long it takes the liquid to get off the inner walls of the glass. So syrup would have (a lot of?) legs, as it's so thick it will take a while to get off the insides of the glass, and water would have virtually no legs.

That's the way I understand it as well. I'll give you a visual example. Imagine you have a glass of syrup, and a glass of water. Now swirl it around so it coats the inside of the glass. If I'm right, the legs would be how long it takes the liquid to get off the inner walls of the glass. So syrup would have (a lot of?) legs, as it's so thick it will take a while to get off the insides of the glass, and water would have virtually no legs.

ah. "visually" that is a better description of what I was trying to describe.

Thanks. :mug:

Wine is typically described as leggy, I've never heard it with beer. More info here It looks from a few links that it really means very little other than the fact that water and alcohol are mixed in the liquid and one evaporates faster than the other.

Legs in whiskey:
3006331108_bf640e0877_d.jpg

Back