First AG brew day, with some mistakes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profarm

Reaction score
Well I did my first AG today and I guess it went okay, I did AHBS Blue Moon Clone. I used BeerSmith to calculate water volumes and temps. I got the preboil volume right on 6.5gal, but the mash temp was a little harder to hit. I think it got as high as 157, so I added a little cold water, and got to about 155 so I let it stay there. At the end of the hour it got to about 150. I did the 2 part sparge also. Think I need a better cooler...I measured the preboil gravity and it was 1.040, I know that is low. I got the OG reading and it was 1.042, the estimeted for the reicpe was 1.048 so I guess that is not to bad for my first time. I did the BS calculation for efficiency with 6.5 gal to the kettle and it was 71% to pre boil eff. and 60% actuall eff. oh well this is my first time. One thing I forgot was the add he 5.2 stabilizer to the mash, I used tap water (i have well water) will this affect anything? Here are a few pics...

the set up
8506d1226893708-first-ag-brew-day-some-mistakes-cimg2217.jpg

the MLT
8507d1226893725-first-ag-brew-day-some-mistakes-cimg2218.jpg

the crusher
8508d1226893753-first-ag-brew-day-some-mistakes-cimg2221.jpg

the grist
8509d1226893776-first-ag-brew-day-some-mistakes-cimg2222.jpg

Thanks.

CIMG2217.jpg

CIMG2218.jpg

CIMG2221.jpg

CIMG2222.jpg

CIMG2227.jpg

You did great for the first time. Try to get the strike water temp and volume right. I pour the strike water in the mash tun when it is 4 to 5 degrees over into the mash tun and stir and put on the lid and wait 5 minutes, remove the lid and stir while taking the temperature. It will be right at the mash temp when well stirred. I then stir in the grain mixing well and put on the lid. Check 5 minutes later and you will see it is right at the mash temperature. Remember that the grain temperature (at brewtime) has to be entered into Beersmith for the calculated strike temperature to be correct.

You will remember the 5.2 stabilizer next time.

Hook up your 1/5 inch drill motor and crushing will be easier. :)

You did great for the first time. Try to get the strike water temp and volume right. I pour the strike water in the mash tun when it is 4 to 5 degrees over into the mash tun and stir and put on the lid and wait 5 minutes, remove the lid and stir while taking the temperature. It will be right at the mash temp when well stirred. I then stir in the grain mixing well and put on the lid. Check 5 minutes later and you will see it is right at the mash temperature. Remember that the grain temperature (at brewtime) has to be entered into Beersmith for the calculated strike temperature to be correct.

You will remember the 5.2 stabilizer next time.

yeah, I preheated the tun and I got the strike water to 164 with the grain being about 71deg. I will remember the 5.2 next time...

Did you use a clarifier like Whirlfloc or Irish moss? That helps to coagulate soluable resins etc into solid trub which will sink to the bottom of the brew pot making a clearer beer. I like whirlfloc a lot. :mug:

I did my first AG last weekend (a simple IPA), with a setup much like yours, and also got a low OG and about a 67% efficiency. I think my problem was rushing the sparge. I had the right boil volume of 6.5 gallons, but I needed to let the 170 degree sparge rinse sit before draining. My fermentation is going fine, though, so I'm expecting an okay beer.

I used the same setup as you for years and averaged about 70% eff. Sometimes I would get as low as 65, even after I refined my methods. I never really worried about it, though as long as the beer was good. I know that some people get crazy efficiencies batch sparging, but it never seemed to do it for me. I'm sure it will all turn out well in the end.

That's strange. I have that same exact cooler and never lose more than 1 degree F when mashing. Are you sure you are getting a good seal? I sometimes use a luggage strap, or come-alongs to make sure that thing doesn't have any air leaks.

Back