Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoAmI

Reaction score
I did my first all grain Sunday night. As of now I still have seen no indications of fermentation. I was a little off on my temps, but not hugely, and my OG was only .01 off. Is it too early to worry or should I re-pitch? What could be the cause of this? The yeast I used was a Wyeast pack.

What was the OG, yeast you used, and temperature you pitched at? Also, what temperature is it fermenting at now? Did you aerate liberally?

The yeast I used was the Ringwood ale Wyeast #1187. The OG was 1.05 when it asked for 1.061. It is fermenting at 68.4 degrees. My only question was I did the brewing outside, and it was in the high 30s, and I had the yeast out there with me on accident, and didn't activate it until about 1.5 hours before (forgot all about it while doing the other stuff). It only swelled up a very little bit. I'm wondering if the cold caused the yeast to go dormant or something like that. I didn't aerate too much, but did a litte bit.

WhoAmI said:
The yeast I used was the Ringwood ale Wyeast #1187. The OG was 1.05 when it asked for 1.061. It is fermenting at 68.4 degrees. My only question was I did the brewing outside, and it was in the high 30s, and I had the yeast out there with me on accident, and didn't activate it until about 1.5 hours before (forgot all about it while doing the other stuff). It only swelled up a very little bit. I'm wondering if the cold caused the yeast to go dormant or something like that. I didn't aerate too much, but did a litte bit.

Hmmm...well 4 days with no activity is not a good sign. Are you using a plastic or glass fermenter? If it's glass, do you see any krausen forming? If it's plastic, are you sure the lid and airlock are on tight? Sometimes the CO2 will escape in other places and cause no airlock activity making you think it's not fermenting.

It's plastic... and it's definitely on tight, have checked that probably a dozen times hoping that was it.

I took another reading, it was rather hard to tell, but somewhere between 1.04 and 1.05, closer to .05 I think... and a green fungus seems to be growing. I'd say I screwed this one up. Here is a picture...
fermentationstuck.jpg

Looks just like it's supposed to! Take another sg in a few days. It's easier to take an sg if you sanitize a turkey baster and put the sample in a test jar. You're trying to read it right now through krausen, which means it's fermenting!

Back