Oops didn't oxidize my aluminum pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerberiss

Reaction score
Hello every one,

So while bottling my first batch of beer, an amber, I came across a tread that you should oxidize your aluminum pot by boiling water in it before boiling your wort. Well at the time I didn't know this so I cleaned it with B bright and rinsed it out then boiled my wort. Does anyone have any idea if I am going to get any off flavor or dangerous level of aluminum in my brew? Since then I have soaked the pot in B bright and have seen white spots that I cant get out and dark area in it and I am wondering if I have ruined the pot. Here is a picture.
2013-01-13234823_zps6bf10ae7.jpg

Thanks for any help guys.

Cerberiss said:
Hello every one,

So while bottling my first batch of beer, an amber, I came across a tread that you should oxidize your aluminum pot by boiling water in it before boiling your wort. Well at the time I didn't know this so I cleaned it with B bright and rinsed it out then boiled my wort. Does anyone have any idea if I am going to get any off flavor or dangerous level of aluminum in my brew? Since then I have soaked the pot in B bright and have seen white spots that I cant get out and dark area in it and I am wondering if I have ruined the pot. Here is a picture.

Thanks for any help guys.

You'll be just fine. You are incredibly unlikely to get a dangerous level of aluminum. Studies show that you get more aluminum from using anti-persperant than drinking beer made with an aluminum pot, even if its unoxidized. Also, it's unlikely that you'll get off flavors.

However, I DO recommend that you clean your pot well, and go ahead and boil water in it for an hour to get that oxide layer. The dull gray oxide layer will prevent the future formation of other oxides that CAN affect you beer.

Thank you guys for the responses, I will go ahead and do a boil before my next batch then clean it well afterwards.

The black stuff is oxidation, you just did it really fast with an aggressive oxidizer. But if you are worried, you can send your pot to me and I'll test it. If its dangerous I will dispose of it for you for no charge.:D

Cerberiss said:
Thank you guys for the responses, I will go ahead and do a boil before my next batch then clean it well afterwards.

Remember, DO NOT scrub off the oxide layer. You don't want it shiny. All you need to clean your pot is a little PBW and a soft cloth.

Yeah just boil some water in it. Once it has the oxide layer only clean it with a soft rag or sponge, no harsh scrubbers like brushes or anything of that sort. I don't use soap on my brewpot at all and have read that pbw is not good for aluminum as well. I just use good old hot water and a rag.

Seriously it's totally fine though.

Latest posts

Back