Rock Hill / Ft. Mill Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustym

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there were any homebrewers here in this area that might want to start a local Homebrew Club. I know there's a good one in Charlotte and a good one in Columbia, but I was thinking about having something local. Just a thought, any interest?

I would be very interested in participating in a York county based Homebrew Club. I hope others respond and something can happen!

I'm still thinking about this. If we can get 5-10 people to start with, that would be great. I know that the AHA will help set up a club as well.

i live in rock hill i would be interested in that. what kind of beers do you make??? the only good store is alterantive beverage in belmont nc. i get all my stuff online.

I get most of my equipment online. I still go to Alternative Beverage for ingredients. I enjoy the process of hand selecting my ingredients. I do wish there were other choices.

Does anyone know a welder in the Rock Hill area that could fabricate a brew stand? I have been saving for a while and my Christmas money has finally got me to the point of pulling the trigger.

Rustym,

Besides the AHA, Carolina Brewmasters may also help. I spoke to various members during Octoberfest and discovered they helped set-up satellite clubs in other areas. Most of them seemed helpful when speaking to them and homebrewers are typically eager to share the hobby.

Thanks for that info Jason. I may give them a call and see if they would be interested in that. Maybe some kind of charter club of them. Plus maybe they have some folks who live down this way and woukd be interested in getting us up and going.

I get all of my ingedients at the South Blvd. location of AB. They do a great job there and their grain crush is perfect for my setup. Most of my hardware I get online or Craigslist! I don't know anyone here that welds. I've also been toying around with the idea of building a single tier set up but I haven't decided on which way to go yet. If I find someone, I'll let you know.

brockettbrews: I'll brew anything that sounds good! I've been mostly brewing "classic" styles. I just brewed an American Stout yesterday. I entered an Arrogant Bastard clone in the Nashville Music City Brew Off and got some great feedback. Scored a 38, which I felt good about for my first competition.

Hopefully we can get something started here this year so stay tuned!

wish they had a homebrew store in rock hill. I was going to enter an all grain octoberfest but i drank it all. lol. i left it in a secondary for almost 4 months in the fridge. It was really good. I like to do small batches of all grain like two gallons. Just to see how it tastes. I usally do my fermation in a mr.beer keg on my small batches. Got the idea from a guy on here. works well with small batches and if you lager it doesnt take up much space in the fridge. well would love to get a club going. will talk to some other homebrewers that I know in rock hill.

I order all my stuff from american brewmasters out of Raleigh. I really dont have alot of extra time to run up to alt. beverage but would like to start going. it always seems like i forget something when I order over the phone or they are out of something. would like to make some competion beer. mainly been making beer to just drink alot cheaper than the store.

I still do cans too. just for a quick beer. Im doing a light lager from cans 5 gallon. just a quick couple than I will do an all grain. just moved and im trying to get everything into my new place.

I would like to participate in a local club. I am in Rock Hill. I am mainly doing stovetop partial mash. Most of my supplies are from alt bevgs south blvd outlet except for the hard to get hops.

Brockettbrews,

Thanks for the heads up on the welder. I found a place called Red Hot Welding in Rock Hill that is going to do it for me. He was able to quote in my price range. I'm going next week to put something down to get it started. I am hoping to finish it for brewing by mid February.

Sounds like we got 4 people ready to form a club. I'll see if I can round up a couple additional buddies.

Carbidetoolguy

Fermenting: Dunkelweisen
Drinking: Last of the Pumpkin Ale

Yes they are located on Porter Road. I'll post a pick after the stand is complete. I am having a two tier system built because I want to use one pump and still fly sparge.

MC, Thanks for the response! That's a great suggestion. I didn't even consider you guys since you were farther away. I think that might even be a better idea, keep it in SC! Who would be the person to contact for that? It looks like we may have 4-5 maybe to start with at least. It would be nice if we could get something going this year.

Jason, keep us posted on your build!

I'm in Fort Mill. Have any of you ever bought from More Beer .. on the internet. It's in California .. but has free shipping if you buy enough stuff. $59.00 .. but you can't get free shipping on 50# bags of grain ... but you can buy 20#'s of grain .. and get free shipping .. if you total is $59.00.

Hi All -

I am very interested in joining a Fort Mill based brew club. I live in Baxter.

Also, I am brewing an IPA on saturday with my electric herms is anyone is interested in watching/helping.

Here is a youtube video of the rig:

Thanks
Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all! I haven't been around much lately and am finally back! Since the last time I posted, carbidetoolguy and myself were talkin about getting sponsorship or help from other clubs and possibly starting a satellite club in this area.

Palmetto State Brewers in Columbia said they wouldn't start a satellite club, but they suggested that if we join them they would help us somewhat and that we could have our own local meetings. That's certainly a possibility.

I've been thinking though, that if we have enough interest, and I think we do, we could start our own Homebrew club here, get some help from the AHA and start small and grow. It might take a while but I think there is a growing interest in this area not only in Homebrew but Craft brew as well. We could start meeting somewhere and just go from there and see what happens.

What do you guys think? Carbidetoolguy (AKA Jason) floated some good ideas about some things we could do. I have some myself and I'm sure as a group we could come up with some ways to kick this off.

How would you guys like to meet some time at someplace like the new Buffalo Wild Wings in Rock Hill or McHales or even Ft. Mill Tavern or anywhere and see what we can come up with.

Ideas?

Canyonbrewer, that's an impressive setup! I would love to see your rig in action sometime!

I would be interested in joining as well. I just started my first homebrew last week and would love to tap some of the knowledge more experienced brewers have. I live in the Steele Creek area so a Fort Mill/Rock Hill group would be perfect. Keep me posted on any progress.

Happy Brewing Everyone
Court

all - im am down to meet. I like McHales in Fort Mill. Usually a good selection on draft (10-15 beers).

btw - I am mashing right now....hit 153 perfectly.

Well, there are 7 of us who have expressed interest here. That's a pretty good start! What night would be good for everyone. I'm usually good for Tue-Thurs. I could do a Monday. 6:30 or 7:00 is good for me also.

What do ya'll think about next week. I'll post a new topic on the local threads announcing a get together and maybe that will get a few more people as well. That would give us another full week to perk up some interest.

I travel a lot so Friday and the weekend works best for me as well. If we do a regular meeting day, I may be able to schedule around it.

Ok - lets put a line in the sand. How about we meet at McHales in Fort Mill next Friday evening? Feb 22nd.

I'll be there around 8

Jason

Yup...just PM'd Carbide.

I'll be there around 8 or 8:15 with a buddy.

You'll know me because I'll be holding a single red rose. hahahahah just kidding.

We usually sit at the bar if there is room...or are back by the darts if the bar is full.

jason

Hey guys, I enjoyed meeting ya'll Friday night! I'm looking forward to getting things going and who knows, before long we may have a real Homebrew club going.

I went up to Alternative Beverages yesterday to get stuff for my Amber Ale (Yea!!) and talked to one of the guys there and told them what we were planning. I asked if they would mind if we put something on their bulletin board about getting some interest and he suggested I talk to Jess. I told when we get a little farther along I would do that.

I'm looking forward to brewing with you guys so lets try and keep the middle (or so) of March in mind and shhot for a time.

Great to meet you guys as well.

as it looks now, I am planning on brewing on March 23 or 24...(sat or sun).

you guys are more than welcome to join...and would like it if someone wanted to split grain/hops cost take 5 gallons of wort with them. :)

I am open to brewing whatever...as long as not an IPA...got 10 gallons in the pipe already.

jason

Good luck guys! I'm a CBM'er and I think we'd love to have y'all come up and join one of our meetings for inspiration. I don't have the right to speak on behalf of the club but I'm sure our leadership would love to see you at the next meeting and be willing to offer advice.

Canyonbrewer: I think that might work for me. My son is moving up here from Texas that weekend but I'm not sure when he'll be here. I'll know in a week or so. If I can make it I don't think you'll have any problem with either me or Jason splitting the cost. I'm hoping we can get more interested brewers as well.

inamays: Thanks for the shout! That would probably be great at some point. Once we get moving a little I'm looking into getting some help and guidance from the AHA as well. I think it would be great to get some advice and inspiration from such a well known club!

Guys it was great meeting you all this past Friday. I think we can start to pull something together. A brew day would be great and I would be happy to split the cost. That particular weekend I am out due to work, but I could do the weekend before or after. By the way, if any of you get a chance to go to the Millstone Taphouse in downtown Rock Hill, I recommend it. 40 handles constantly rotating. Very nice to see something like that in Rock Hill.

Back