Using US water heater in europe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogtrash

Reaction score
I bought those 5500 w camco from amazon.
I just wonder how i should wire them up.
In KAL's description it looks like 2 120v wires to The element to make 240 v .
Or is it one 240 hot and one zero/neutral and one ground/earth
Wondering cause My grid is 240v
Can i really use those element

Did anyone understod My question due to My poor english

Firstly, I had no idea english was not your first language! :D
Check the voltage rating of your element and check the actual voltage of your supply. If the rated voltage is higher than you supply voltage the first check is ok (note: sometimes even though it is common to refer to the supply as XXX voltage, the actual supply voltage can be different due to what is regulated by law in your country)
Second, if the voltage is ok, check that the current or watts that the element will draw is less than what you circuit will supply (usually based on what size circuit breaker is installed).
If you need anymore help just let us know what ratings each item has and we can advise further :)

My main circuit breaker is 25 amp porcelin breaker.
Ive got acces to 3-phase 400v 16amp 5-wiring. Dunno if thats of any use.

These Are The elements by The way.
My main question was if really can use this.

image.jpg

Thanks for reply.
Thats god news :) so you suggest i should ramp up My circuit to 30 amp.
Thats no problem. But i thought i might get away with 25 amp.

Thanks for reply.
Thats god news :) so you suggest i should ramp up My circuit to 30 amp.
Thats no problem. But i thought i might get away with 25 amp.

Check the element when you get it to make sure that rating in the listing is actually what is correct for the element.
Assumed it is correct, 5500W @ 240V = 22.92A. For intermittent use your 25A circuit should be good.
Don't know how you wiring is done but I would not expect upgrade to a 30 amp circuit to be easy, you will need new wiring in the walls, new circuit breaker, etc. and most likely need to pay a certified sparky for some or all of it depending on you local laws :)

Just spoke with My sparky. And its no problem to upgrade. But its real expensive.
Do i have to shut Down The rest of My house when i wanna fire up My brewery @25amp breaker
Or should i just order a set of 4500w elements instead.
Can i hook up an 3-phase 400volt 6-9kw element with The original guts of kals. That way i can get The amps down alot.

Btw do you have any other name for "intermittent"? Didnt really quite understand the meaning of that Word :)

Just spoke with My sparky. And its no problem to upgrade. But its real expensive.
Do i have to shut Down The rest of My house when i wanna fire up My brewery @25amp breaker
Or should i just order a set of 4500w elements instead.
Can i hook up an 3-phase 400volt 6-9kw element with The original guts of kals. That way i can get The amps down alot.

Btw do you have any other name for "intermittent"? Didnt really quite understand the meaning of that Word :)

Depends what else is run from that breaker. Most houses are fitted with multiple breakers so each one only supplies power to a portion of the total outlets in the house.
Another thing to check will be your wall socket outlet rating. In New Zealand most common wall sockets are only rated for 10 amps but the circuit is rated for 20 amps total. This means you can run 2x 10 amp loads on one circuit but can't run a 20 amp load from one socket.
The 3-phase element will not help you unless you have 3-phase power to your house. Most 3-phase elements I have seen are basically 3 single phase elements in one package.
As Gil said "Intermittent = occasional or not long term." basically how it has been explained to me is anything over 20 hours of continous power triggers the 80% rule, again this is probably different in you country so check with the sparky.

I bought those 5500 w camco from amazon.
I just wonder how i should wire them up.
In KAL's description it looks like 2 120v wires to The element to make 240 v .
Or is it one 240 hot and one zero/neutral and one ground/earth
Wondering cause My grid is 240v
Can i really use those element

Did anyone understod My question due to My poor english

From a tech perspective none of those are really true for US power. But, as far as a 240V element is concerned, it doesn't care how it gets 240V as long as it gets it.

Ok thanks guys.
Ill go back to The drawing table and rethink My build.
Got to figure out what i have to change inside My panel to make it suitible for 480 elements. It should only be The power in relay and hlt and BOIL relay that would be changed.

Ok thanks guys.
Ill go back to The drawing table and rethink My build.
Got to figure out what i have to change inside My panel to make it suitible for 480 elements. It should only be The power in relay and hlt and BOIL relay that would be changed.

So do you have 3phase power? I would really recommend that you start running all this past your sparky.

I believe its actually 230/400volts your country is on. its 230v line to neutral and 400v line to line. run all if your controls at 230v and your elements at 400v you should be good to go. the contactor coil would need to be 230v, as far as the power running through the contactor most all of them are rated up to 480v sometimes even 600v

Yes ive got 3-phase allready.

And yes its 230-240/400 volts here.
Im waiting for My contactors to arrive. When i got them ill se what they Are rated for.
Ill be back !!

Back