1st Lager Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdwalter

Reaction score
First post here, I bypassed the intro page and went straight for the help! Hello to everyone and thanks for any replies! First attempt at a lager yeast starter raises a couple questions. All ale yeast starters I have made will produce a good amount of co2 when shaken. However, even after 24 hours the lager yeast will not foam even after a vigorous shake. I followed the same principles I used with the ale yeasts, 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water, boiled 10 minutes and cooled to 70 before pitching. I am using White Labs San Francisco lager yeast. Every other starter I have made was with WYeast. Again, no problems with those.

First post here, I bypassed the intro page and went straight for the help! Hello to everyone and thanks for any replies! First attempt at a lager yeast starter raises a couple questions. All ale yeast starters I have made will produce a good amount of co2 when shaken. However, even after 24 hours the lager yeast will not foam even after a vigorous shake. I followed the same principles I used with the ale yeasts, 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water, boiled 10 minutes and cooled to 70 before pitching. I am using White Labs San Francisco lager yeast. Every other starter I have made was with WYeast. Again, no problems with those.

It sounds ok to me. I haven't really noticed more or less co2 production in different yeast strains, but I have noticed that some don't even form much, if any, krausen.

This past weekend I made a Pils using White Labs SF Lager. I had the same experience with my starter, no krausen in the starter. Pitched into 1.061 wort and 24 hours later the brew was rocking. No concerns here.

Been about 24 hours now and the brew is fermenting just fine. Guess there was nothing to worry about!

Back