How many brews per tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsayers

Reaction score
I am on my third brew day and am still using the same standard propane tank. How many brews do you usually get out of a tank?

I am on my third brew day and am still using the same standard propane tank. How many brews do you usually get out of a tank?

It depends on so many things. Three is about the max I've gotten out of a 20lb tank. I use a 30lb for my HLT and a 40lb for my brew kettle. After making a make-shift wind screen/flume for my KAB4 I'm getting a good 5-6 brews out of the 40lb tank. Throw a windy brew day in there and the numbers will drop.

Oh, I should point out I do 10gal batches in a 20gal kettle. In usually start with 13-14gal.

I think I got like 10-12 out of my last tank. But that's just a 60m boil.

I was heating strike/sparge water up off my stove

I think I got like 10-12 out of my last tank. But that's just a 60m boil.

I was heating strike/sparge water up off my stove

Dang, I'm doing horrible. I do usually fill them well before they're empty. I've had a few brew days where there's still propane but the flame just isn't as strong as normal.

I have been averaging 6 five-gallon brews per tank. I use a Camp Chef 60,000 btu burner and do all-grain BIAB with 60 minute boils. I recently decided to switch to 10 gallon batches and have so far got 1 five-gallon and 2 ten-gallon batches out of my tank.

I wish the propane tank had a fuel guage. I have a spare tank so all won't be lost when one runs out but it would be nice to know in advance.

Like I said, I have done 3 brews so far on the standard size they sell at Home Depot. I was hoping to get at least three per tank. We'll see if it dies next brew day.

Where do you get the 40lbs tanks? I haven't seen them anywhere.

JB

I wish the propane tank had a fuel guage. I have a spare tank so all won't be lost when one runs out but it would be nice to know in advance.

Like I said, I have done 3 brews so far on the standard size they sell at Home Depot. I was hoping to get at least three per tank. We'll see if it dies next brew day.

Where do you get the 40lbs tanks? I haven't seen them anywhere.

JB

Home depot.

They sell enormous tanks at costco.

I get about 6. I'm doing extract kits still so those are 60 min partial boils. I'm using the Bayou Classic SP-10.

A pressure gauge will not help when it comes to propane. The pressure in the tank will remain constant until just before the tanks empties.

The best way to determine how much propane is left is to weigh it.

s7_530733_999_01

This is available from Cabela's for under $13.00. I'm sure you can find it elsewhere.

Lowes has 40 lb propane tanks listed on their website. Pricining seems to be around $100.00. 30 lb tanks seem to about $70.00.

Back