Newb working on an apricot melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimusJay

Reaction score
Hi all. Just signed up to the forum after lurking for a few weeks, what a great resource.

Here is the recipe I used:
12 lbs honey (my own, am a beekeeper)
6 tsp yeast energizer
5 tbs acid blend
3/4 tsp tannin
5 campden tablets
3 lbs apricot puree (Vintners Harvest)
Lalvin EC 1118 5g packet yeast

I combined everything except the yeast into a 6.5 gal bucket, making sure all ingredients were dissolved. Covered bucket with a towel for 24 hours.

After those 24 hours I took my initial SG reading of 1.100' temp of liquid was 74, so corrected SG was 1.101 Rehydrated my EC 1118 according to package instructions and poured onto the must. Covered back up with only the towel.

It has been about 20 hours since pitching and there is a nice foamy layer on top so I assume things are going as they should.

The basic instructions I am following say to let this sit as is, covered with only the towel for 7 to 10 days, take another SG reading, then rack it, at which time the lid and airlock would be added. Does this sound logical? I assume this "towel only" is to degas it? But I have also seen references to oxygenating. Should I be doing that as well?

I will likely have more questions about adding additional fruit to the secondary and what all that entails.

Thanks in advance for your tips and suggestions.
Jay

Yes, you should probably be giving it a good, vigorous stir once a day or so until you hit the 1/2 sugar break (somewhere around SG 1.050). I would probably lid and airlock before the 7-10 day mark, personally, as after the 1/2 sugar break you want to avoid oxygenation, not promote it. Someone may correct me here (please do, if I'm mistaken), but I would probably put the airlock on it when the SG hits 1.020 or so. By that time, most of the really heavy fermentation is over, so you can hopefully avoid any of that puree being pushed into the airlock. Just my thoughts.

Thanks Vulcan,

So do I just drop a long spoon in and start stirring? Or do I need to remove the large foamy head prior to stirring?

Regarding when to add the lid and airlock...
So once the SG gets to around 1.020 give or take, would I rack and then add lid and airlock? Or just keep it in the primary bucket and add the lid/airlock? Or does it not matter?

Thanks,
Jay

Punch down the cap (foamy head) and mix it all in. Make sure the long-handled spoon you're using is sanitized and non-porous (so not a wooden spoon).

I wouldn't rack until the SG is steady for a few days in a row. Just throw the lid/airlock on and let the apricot flavour keep soaking in :)

Thanks. I just gave it an aggressive stir with a sanitized long wire whisk. Before that, I took an SG reading to see how things were coming along. The reading was 1.071 so I suppose its doing it's thing. I'll be out of town starting tomorrow morning so I will plan on securing the lid and airlock Friday afternoon.

Question - once lid and airlock are on I will only open to take SG readings, correct? No additional stirring?

I appreciate the help!

Jay

Correct, though I would actually stop before the halfway mark, say 1.050, if not a touch before. Many people suggest stopping at the 1/3 sugar break, which may make your aeration at 1.071 the last go at it.

Update to where I'm at now:

I am now on day 5 since pitching yeast. The bubbling thru the airlock has slowed to about a bubble every 3 or 4 seconds. I removed the lid, has a nice orange cap covering the surface, broke a space in the cap and dropped in the hydrometer and SG is 1.021.

Is there a target SG reading I should shoot for before I rack to a secondary? Or do I just continue to take SG every few days and when it's the same for a few days in a row, then rack to secondary?

Jay

Sounds like it's coming along well!

You've got it--just wait until the SG shows the same for 3-4 days in a row, and then rack to secondary. Then do your damndest to ignore it for a while :)

Oh, and when you do rack into the secondary, try to leave as little airspace as possible. If you're going to put it into a carboy, try to fill it up into the neck a bit. You can just use water, but it will dilute it a bit. You could also use something like apple juice, which will avoid dilution, but may also renew fermentation for a bit. That's OK, as you'll still have an airlock on it for the gas to escape through.

I have now racked from the 6 gal primary bucket into a 5 gal glass carboy. I SG reading for the last two days was 1.010 so I decided to rack. Gave it a little taste test as well and it's not bad tasting so thats a good thing I suppose! It was not too dry and not too sweet but I know flavors will likely change over the coming weeks and months. So, at this point I plan to just let it sit for a couple of weeks or more and then rack it again. Initially I was thinking of backsweetening but I may not need to.

Thanks again for all the help!

Jay

Update & question...

I racked again, to get it off of the sediment in the bottom of the carboy. I was not greedy when siphoning so now that it's in another 5 gallon glass carboy I am a little short of it being filled up toward the neck. I would guess maybe a quart shy. Do I leave it and just put the stopper and airlock or should I be adding water, or juice, or honey water to fill it up a bit more? I took an SG reading of 1.008/9. I also sampled and it is tasting very good, not overly sweet and not too dry either...I'm actually quit pleased with the taste.

Jay

I would top it up to the neck with either apple juice or water--your call. The sugars in the apple juice may ferment a bit, if you go that direction, but it shouldn't be a big deal if it's under an airlock anyway.

Sounds like it's coming along well!:mug:

I actually added a water/honey mix (probably like 10:1 ratio) to fill it up to near the neck. Now to let it sit for probably 5 or 6 weeks to clear, then hopefully bottle it.
Thanks again,
Jay

It's coming up on 2 months since my last post. I have not touched the mead. It still sits in it's glass carboy, wrapped in a towel. I am approaching 3 months since I started this mead. It is not really clearing and I would like it to. I have read about Bentonite and am considering using some. Any suggestions for me regarding that? I think the overall cloudiness is due to the apricot puree. Also, it's been stored in a room with a pretty constant temp of around 68F. My garage is now going to be cooler due to winter coming so I was wondering if that would be a better place to store. Thoughts on that?
Jay

Few things...

1. You want to stop food/aeration at the 1/3 break, NOT the 1/2 break.
2. You don't want to rack more than once a month.
3. You did better by using a honey mixture/must to top off the carboy. I would go with a solution that matched your original. That way your numbers will still be accurate.
4. Using EC-1118 means it's going to go to DRY. As in middle of a barren desert dry. That yeast WILL go to 18%, or consume ALL sugars it can trying to get there.

With your OG of 1.101, the yeast isn't done yet. Take a FG reading. Chances are it's below 1.000. Add more honey/fruit to it and it will be consumed by the yeast. You're only real choices are to keep feeding it honey until the yeast stops, then add some more to back-sweeten it (you could use more apricot too). Or chemically stop/kill the yeast before back-sweetening it up..

I would HIGHLY recommend you go over to the Got Mead? Forums and read up there. Far more information there, and tons more mazers to boot.

BTW, even once it appears to be clear (as in crystal clear) I would give it at least a few more months before you bottle it. My guidelines (many others too) is under 14%, at least 9 months in bulk. 14-16%, 10-12 months. 16-18% 12-14 months. Above 18%, plan 18+ months. You can always go longer (without harm). IME, the longer you actually give it in bulk the better. Not only does it age really well this way, but you can tweak it (easily) if needed. Once it's in bottles, it's done and you really can't do much beyond wait.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I took a reading this afternoon and it was 1.005. According to the hydrometer's corresponding ABV this is at about 13% now. For being 3 months young I thought it tasted really good, and so did the wife. She was surprised.

Since the reading was at 1.005 am I correct to assume then that this is not even done fermenting, or could it really be done?

I was encouraged with the taste so I will more than likely just let it sit for another 3 months in the carboy and let it try and clear up naturally, and then I'll take a reading to see if it drops lower than the 1.005 it's at now.

Thanks again,
Jay

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I took a reading this afternoon and it was 1.005. According to the hydrometer's corresponding ABV this is at about 13% now. For being 3 months young I thought it tasted really good, and so did the wife. She was surprised.

Use the calc found on this site to get an actual, accurate, ABV%. You're at 12.8% right now.

Since the reading was at 1.005 am I correct to assume then that this is not even done fermenting, or could it really be done?

Given half a chance, EC-1118 will continue to consume any sugars present that it can. Add any more sugars to the mix and chances are EC-1118 will go to town on it and give you more alcohol.

I was encouraged with the taste so I will more than likely just let it sit for another 3 months in the carboy and let it try and clear up naturally, and then I'll take a reading to see if it drops lower than the 1.005 it's at now.

Thanks again,
Jay

I would be sure to have those time frames extremely soft. You might need/want to rack in 1-2 months, or not until after 4-5 months (or longer). Let it go as long as possible in the carboy/bulk form. If you have more than a small amount of headspace above the melomel, get one of the keg pocket charger items to put CO2 into it. You might need to keep hitting it with CO2 every few weeks (or so) to keep enough in there. Since I use sealed vessels for aging my fermentations, I don't need to worry. Once I've purged the atmosphere/air from it (with CO2) it's sealed up and worry free.

An update on my apricot melomel. It's about 3 weeks shy of being a year since I made this. It has been sitting untouched in a cool dark space for several months. I just pulled it out if storage and it is finally clearing nicely. Took a small sample and the taste is very nice. Dry, slightly tart, yet still sweet. Very pleased with the way this is coming along. I will continue to let it sit. Here are a couple pics. Lastly, hydro reading shows SG at 1004.
Jay

image.jpg

Back