Louisville, KY CO2 sources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qaman00

Reaction score
I am gathering all my equipment for my first venture into kegging. My kit from Keg Cowboy has shippied, I have a chest freezer, I'm waiting on my ebay dual stage temp controller, and I have my corny's. I think I am to the point of finally brewing some beer. While it bubbling away in the fermenter, I need to get my first CO2 tank filled.

Does anyone have a good source on the east side of Louisville to fill CO2 tanks? I know there is a welding supply place over by the airport, but I've spoken to them and, well, "less than impressed" is a polite way to put my experience (guy didn't have the information about whether they would fill a tank not sold by them or how much an exchange was so he told be to call back in "two minutes". I callled in three and the dude had gone to lunch. The man who helped me thought it was hilarious and said he does that all the time when he gets questions he doesn't want to find the anwers for).

I live in Crestwood so anywhere in the Lagrange, east Louisville, or even Shelbyville areas works for me.

airgas.com, click store locator at the top of the page.

Thank you mciaio. I called them and they don't fill in Louisville. They can send my cylinder out for fill, but don't do it here. I also tried Scott-Gross and they need to keep it overnight and want $20 to do it. In addition, I have to make a 60 mile round trip twice.

Anyone else have a suggestion? Does anyone use non-food grade CO2? Not sure what that even means, but Airgas was pretty stern about needing food grade.

I had the same problem this past week. I found a fire extinguisher service company and they were able to fill my 5lb for $10. You might want to try the same or a store that sells paintball supplies.

For anyone who finds this thread from a search, I thought I would let you know where I ended up. After several phone calls and speaking with a lot of people, I got a fill from Welding and Therapy on Crittedon Drive. They filled my 5# bottle while I waited for about $12.50. I didn't find anywhere in east Louisville who filled tanks.

Hah I was going to suggest that place actually. I dealt with AirGas in Lexington, but they kept going up in price every exchange. At the place off Crittedon Drive I got my #20 tank exchanged for $16. Airgas was up to $30+ a year ago, who knows how much now.

I have heard that Open Range there in Crestwood does this. They are an indoor gun range that also services paintball/speedball folks...I haven't called them yet, but am planning to as my corneys and tap system got here just last week.

BigPoppa502 said:
I have heard that Open Range there in Crestwood does this. They are an indoor gun range that also services paintball/speedball folks...I haven't called them yet, but am planning to as my corneys and tap system got here just last week.

I had not thought of them. That place is only a couple of miles from where I live. I'll check them out and report back.

qaman00 said:
I had not thought of them. That place is only a couple of miles from where I live. I'll check them out and report back.

I thought I'd update the thread... I just got back from Open Range. They were real nice and handled my CO2 request without incident or hesitation. I have a 5lb tank, cost me $20. Real nice people up there.

BigPoppa502 said:
I thought I'd update the thread... I just got back from Open Range. They were real nice and handled my CO2 request without incident or hesitation. I have a 5lb tank, cost me $20. Real nice people up there.

Thank you for the update. $20 seems a little steep to me, but anyone local will probably spend the extra 7.50 in gas to get to Crittendon Drive and back, not to mention the hour you will save.

Are you part of any Homebrew clubs, BigPoppa? I've been looking at them, but the two local groups don't seem very active.

qaman00/BigPoppa502,

I've recently jumped into Home Brewing. I'm in the Southern Indiana area (Floyds Knobs). I was trying to find info on local groups but only found LAGERS (They're on FB).

I had my 5# Alum CO2 filled yesterday at Paintball Asylum off the Gene Snyder exit 3 Stone Street Road. They were kind and only charged me $10.50.

Got my first batch in the keg in the fridge charging now. Brewers Best IPA kit i got from MOKHB. Assembly the equipment slowly now to jump into all-grain.

--ChrisN812--

chrisn812 said:
qaman00/BigPoppa502,

I've recently jumped into Home Brewing. I'm in the Southern Indiana area (Floyds Knobs). I was trying to find info on local groups but only found LAGERS (They're on FB).

I had my 5# Alum CO2 filled yesterday at Paintball Asylum off the Gene Snyder exit 3 Stone Street Road. They were kind and only charged me $10.50.

Got my first batch in the keg in the fridge charging now. Brewers Best IPA kit i got from MOKHB. Assembly the equipment slowly now to jump into all-grain.

--ChrisN812--

Hey there and welcome! I too am pretty new having only started in November 2011, but have jumped in with both feet. I think I've been to paintball asylum before, only in a prior life when I was trying to recant those younger years when I could do such things as run around shooting at and being shot at by my buddies. alas now I'm relegated t o brewing and drinking the fruits of that labor. :)
On the c02 - That's a better deal than I got. I'll look them up next time!
I haven't come across any other clubs/groups in this area. I thought i may check out the LAGERS meetings, but have been pretty busy of late with work. Im always up for networking though. If you got any ideas or questions you would like to run past someone please feel free to reach out to me. Again welcome to the hobby!

Back