First real taste of my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolharry

Reaction score
I just had to come on and share this because you all are about the only ones that can relate to my excitement as a first timer.

I brewed the brewer's best amber kit on Jan. 21st and just got around to taking a gravity reading this morning. So it's been in primary for just under 3 weeks at about 59-61 degrees at this point.

My OG was 1.050, almost dead on with the kit's target OG.
First gravity reading today was at 1.010, which is a bit under what the kit's target FG is. So assuming its done fermenting, and I did the calculations right, I'm sitting at about 5.25 ABV which is the high side of the kits expected ABV.

Its a beautiful shade of amber, and even warm and flat my god was it delicious! I had to stop myself from drinking the whole sample because I had to work. But wow what a rush knowing I made that!

I'm going to take another gravity reading Friday, and if its consistent I was hoping to bottle on Sunday.

I think I'm hooked...

Bottling went great, I came out at almost exactly 2 cases, and marked and saved the very first bottle I filled as my "first beer". (thanks to SWMBO for that awesome idea)
Already got the next kit on the way (NB chinook IPA) along with a 6 gallon better bottle. My curiosity got to me and I really wanna to see what's going on in the PF next time.
I can't wait to crack one open!

Back