Would you pitch this yeast (w/ pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
This is a rehydrated pkg of Nottingham. The best before date was Aug 2009 but it's been in my fridge the whole time.

I rehydrated at 24C and stirred after 15 mins. This is what it looks like 30 mins later.

It doesnt seem as active as other rehydrated dry yeasts. What do you think? Still good?

IMG_5011.jpg

give it a try, or you could add a bit of extract to it and watch for some action if you wanna be sure.

I was thinking I could pitch it and if I don't see any activity in 48 hrs i could pitch another packet.

This would work too, right?

small chance of what they call autolysis, where the yeast die off and leave a funky taste, but from what Ive heard its pretty rare/bordering on being a myth.

I wouldn't imagine it causing any harm. I've read plenty of stories where for some reason or another the yeasties die, and they just pitch more. Add it and see if it works, if it doesn't add some more after! :mug:

small chance of what they call autolysis, where the yeast die off and leave a funky taste, but from what Ive heard its pretty rare/bordering on being a myth.

like qtpro said there is a chance that the yeast die off and may leave a funky taste. It a small chance but a chance not worth taking. For a buck or two get your self a new packet of yeast. You know of sure that your yeast will work at full productivity and your end product will be a good tasting beer.

That was a packet of Nottingham that I re-hydrated. I don't have any more packets left and my closest LHBS is 1.5 hrs away.

So if it doesn't start fermenting I will toss in a packet of s-05 or else make a starter with some washed 1056. Neither of these will be perfect as i was really hoping the Notty would clean up the beer real good.

If it was me make a starter to step up the yeast you have and to make sure there awake and ready to go to work.

Did you pitch the nottingham yet? If you did give it 24 to 36 hours see if you have any fermenting if not then go head and pitch that starter and everything should be fine. But will some luck the nottingham yeats will be fine and you wont need to worry about repitching

If it was me make a starter to step up the yeast you have and to make sure there awake and ready to go to work.

Did you pitch the nottingham yet? If you did give it 24 to 36 hours see if you have any fermenting if not then go head and pitch that starter and everything should be fine. But will some luck the nottingham yeats will be fine and you wont need to worry about repitching

Yes I already pitched the yeast. I'll give it the 24 to 36 hrs. Usually Nottingham fires up pretty quick for me.

If it doesn't work I will probably make a starter and add slurry from one of my mini mason jars of 1056 THEN pitch that in.

OHIOSTEVE that is just rehyrdrated dry yeast.

I often see little if any activity in a rehydrated Notty. If you don't prime when rehydrating, you're doing just that, rehydrating them. You haven't given them anything to feed on. The cells have just absorbed sterilized water to get them ready to hit the wort. I'm betting it's just fine.

Didn't see last post... glad it worked out.

Back