Which rye beers should I try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
I tasted a rye beer that Brewsmith made, and absolutely loved it. Since then, I bought Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye, and enjoyed that too. I want to try a few more to determine if I really like ryes well enough to make 5 gallons (especially since HWMO doesn't like them).

Any suggestions of commerical brands to try? :mug:

I've only really had the Terrapin Rye Ale but I thought it was quite tasty.

May not be so easy to get in Odenton. I used to live there. Your best
bets are the WaghChapel liquor store, Staples corner in Crofton and
Rips. Staples has a great selection of micros.

Or you could drive to corridor.

Another possibility is a Roggenbier. See if you local store has an imported German brand of it. It's like a spicy witbier.

My local shop has one... can't remember the name, but it was delicious! Being more of an IPA guy, the Hop Rod Rye was my favorite so far.

I've only really had the Terrapin Rye Ale but I thought it was quite tasty.

May not be so easy to get in Odenton. I used to live there. Your best
bets are the WaghChapel liquor store, Staples corner in Crofton and
Rips. Staples has a great selection of micros.

Or you could drive to corridor.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep an eye out for that. I don't know that I've seen any Terrapin around here. Staples corner is our usual beer store, it seems like they've got new stuff in every time we go!

Another possibility is a Roggenbier. See if you local store has an imported German brand of it. It's like a spicy witbier.

My local shop has one... can't remember the name, but it was delicious! Being more of an IPA guy, the Hop Rod Rye was my favorite so far.

Thanks for the alternative suggestion! I liked the Hop Rod, but it had more finishing bitterness than I wanted.

I just have to mention Goose Island Mild Winter ale, brewed with some rye and very tasty. I don't know how much longer it will be around.

If you ever make it to Texas, see if you can find Real Ale Full Moon Pale Rye on cask, especially if it's hand-pumped. It's pretty damn good from a bottle, better on draft, WONDERFUL from a gravity cask and orgasmic from a pump.

Appalachian Brewing Company over in Gettysburg sometimes has a Rye on tap. It's a really good beer, though I don't necessarily think it's a good representation of a "rye" beer. They seem to go for understatement in their recipe. But still... easily my favorite of the ABC beers.

Might be hardpressed to find now, but New Holland's Cabin Fever is suppossed to contain some rye, like the GI Winter Mild. Cabin Fever was my favorite winter seasonal last in 2007, but seemed non-existant this year.

Two Bros. Cane & Ebel is totally amazing. Super hoppy, rye with Thai sugar. Crazy combo, but it works in spades. Great brew. I know they have their brew in NY now, but not sure where else out east.

TwoBrosBrew.com

Back