So I've got a spare refrigerator!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyweed

Reaction score
And was thinking of drilling a hole in the side and installing a single spigot, cornelious keg and co2 setup.

Has anyone here done this for Mead, and how has it worked for you as far as kegging and force carbonating.

Dan

Sure you can have mead on tap. I don't....I don't even want to! I know what happened to the # of gallons of beer that I drink when it's on tap....I don't need that with mead !:drunk:
If you did...you can have sweet - sparkling mead....that's a pretty illusive thing.
If you want still mead, lower the pressure to 3 or 4 psi...it's all good.

I would vote to making it a fermentation fridge, controlling the primary's temp is a major improvement on any brew. If you already have one I would use it for beer or ciders. As big said, mead on tap is just dangerous.

Well I do have enough room, I could do a mead tap and a cider tap. I think Mead on tap would be a great thing (and so do my friends..ha ha ha) We aren't really big beer drinkers.

Dan

OK, I'll just look forward to "the meading" headache thread.
Just watch out for the friends who will try to drink it like bud light not realizing how strong it is.
I'm still debating if I should bottle my mead ageing in a keg, or just throw it in my kegerator, it's all SS so it's possible.

Yeah, I don't think my friends really understand the "power" of mead JUST YET...but they'll learn soon. :) ha ha ha

So one more DUMB question...does the CO2 bottle/dispenser that connects to the cornelius keg stay on the outside of the fridge, or does that go inside too? I would that that it stays outside right????

So one more DUMB question...does the CO2 bottle/dispenser that connects to the cornelius keg stay on the outside of the fridge, or does that go inside too? I would that that it stays outside right????

Either or. From what I gather it is more of a personal preference than anything. Some want it inside so it's not seen outside the fridge. Some want it outside so more kegs fit inside. If you look at the kegerator/keezer threads, you'll see it both ways.

The one thing I don't know is what effect the cooler temperature has on the tank of Co2. Does this drop the pressure in the tank? Is it a negligible difference? Whatever it does, i don't think it's a big deal as people have them both ways.

I keep my C02 inside, it makes no difference on the actual draw on the tank, but you will see a large drop in the perceived pressure within the tank.
Space wise, it is better outside. My keggerator is in my living room and right now its just easier inside.
If I may again warn against mead on tap, I get enough problems with having cider on tap. I only consider it because:
1: I have few friends coming by to drink, and when they do they have their girlfriends / wives drive them home.
2: Bottling is HELL.
Best of luck.

I keep my C02 inside, it makes no difference on the actual draw on the tank, but you will see a large drop in the perceived pressure within the tank.
Space wise, it is better outside. My keggerator is in my living room and right now its just easier inside.
If I may again warn against mead on tap, I get enough problems with having cider on tap. I only consider it because:
1: I have few friends coming by to drink, and when they do they have their girlfriends / wives drive them home.
2: Bottling is HELL.
Best of luck.
Haha You got it, Your the best!:rockin:
Ge mwf here...

Back