!!!!utah!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dp69_2001

Reaction score
Friday, September 12, 2008

Prohibition is Back!

This is just another example of why it's a bad idea to have non-drinkers regulating what they don't understand. The state of Utah has inadvertently introduced a de facto ban on flavored malt beverages, beers and ales. On Oct. 1, flavored malt beverages, such as Smirnoff Ice, Jack Daniel's Original Hard Cola and Bacardi Silver, must be off grocery store shelves and moved to state-controlled liquor outlets. But it's unlikely any of the products will be available in state liquor outlets by the Oct. 1 deadline.

"All Anheuser-Busch flavored malt beverages will no longer be available in Utah," said Michael Brennan, president of General Distributing Co., the state's largest beer distributor. "I don't think the public understands that 3.2 flavored beverages will be gone." The new law also targets traditional beers and ales containing flavorings such as apricot or raspberry.

So basically, If you enjoy a lager or ale that is flavored with food extracts made with distilled alcohol. It's unlikely that Utah distributors will continue to carry them. Why? It's problematic for manufacturers to comply with a bevy of regulations from a single state, particularly when the product is part of a national distribution chain and a small niche in the beer industry. It leads one to suspect that many companies may have some reluctance to incur all these additional expenses that Utah regulators are levying on them. If this is what the Utah Legislature and the governor wanted to accomplish, they've done it.

Note: this only applies to beverages that contain extracts. Malt beverages and beers that are made with "real fruit" do not fall under this this new ****ed-up regulation. Thank God for small favors...

*Picture and article borrowed from http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/

It is unbelievable that some states still have/support such Draconian liquor laws. WA has some weird ones, even with beer being as big as it is here, but nothing like Utah or Alabama.

It is unbelievable that some states still have/support such Draconian liquor laws. WA has some weird ones, even with beer being as big as it is here, but nothing like Utah or Alabama.

It is retarded. I don't really drink any malt beverages. Or purchase any alcoholic beverages except the occasional 12 pack of PBR (when I run out of homebrew). But, this is still the lamest thing I've heard today.

They'll attack real beer next. It's just not a good idea to live in Utah if you enjoy drinking.

Homebrewing is illegal too, but I lived there, and I had no access to good beer in the stores, I'd be brewing all the time.

Ridiculous. It amazes me how arbitrary some states alcohol laws are. I went to college where they made the law that you could only buy cases of beer, not 6 or 12 packs, at beer stores, as if this would cut down on drinking. So we just bought more beer.

I'm out in San Diego right now, and it's so weird seeing liquor being sold at the supermarket, but I think it's great. Who is the government to say where I need to go to buy vodka versus wine versus beer?

Spent 3 - painful weeks for work in SLC this summer. The state stores close at 7pm, the beer is not chilled, and it is expensive as all get out. I guess that state is just wierd. The funny thing most people "import" their own. I guess the funniest thing was we wanted to get a pizza and take it back the the hotel. We figured we could have a brew while waiting - nope have to eat in the dining room. We sat down ordered three pizzas, three beers, and three to go boxes.

They'll attack real beer next. It's just not a good idea to live in Utah if you enjoy drinking.

No, it's not a good idea to let other people tell you what you can and can't do.

Homebrewing is illegal too, but I lived there, and I had no access to good beer in the stores, I'd be brewing all the time.

Your resolve and the OPs admission of homebrewing while living in UT support my theory that people who support government and the rule of law generally believe that laws are necessary to regulate the behavior of "the other guy" and do not apply to themselves.

I congratulate the OP on finding such a suitable image to pay homage to the State.

Please pardon my ignorance and no I am not bashing any religion...

But is this due to the Morman influence in Utah and if so, what happened to seperation of Church and State?

Utahrded? Where did you hear that one it's goddamn hilarious!! As a long time resident and self imposed exile from Utah I am not surprised this happened. MNBugeater, yes all of the government belongs to the Mormon church, and they make no secret that they take orders from the mormon prophet. As an aside (please don't derail the thread) the state is highly republican, and the voters are told who to vote for, and what to vote for by the church. Separation of church and state is a thin veneer they show to the Gentiles (what non-mormons are called) but to them it's all the same. Ahh I remember fondly the days of yore when we'd do Evanston, WY runs to buy 5% beer to bring home. It was the only way to get any real booze at all. I remember being able to spot the out-of-towners when they'd ask where the wine section was in the grocery store. Ha! Wine section.

I'm not bitter at all. Really.

If it weren't for Park City and their BEAUTIFUL ski / snowboarding amenities, I would have never gone to Utah in the first place...

If it weren't for Park City and their BEAUTIFUL ski / snowboarding amenities, I would have never gone to Utah in the first place...

The mountains are about the best thing Utah has going for it. Plain and simple.

No, it's not a good idea to let other people tell you what you can and can't do.

Your resolve and the OPs admission of homebrewing while living in UT support my theory that people who support government and the rule of law generally believe that laws are necessary to regulate the behavior of "the other guy" and do not apply to themselves.

I congratulate the OP on finding such a suitable image to pay homage to the State.

It's not my picture. I don't feel that the laws are necessary to regulate the behavior of "the other guy" it would serve me right if a small herd of law enforcement officers came by my place. stole all my beer and equipment. handed me a nasty ticket and left. However, with the way the Homebrew shops are thriving, I don't think anyone cares for that particular law too much. It's a class B misdemeanor to produce any alcoholic beverage without a license in Utah. However, I feel it's worth the risk. :)

It's not my picture. I don't feel that the laws are necessary to regulate the behavior of "the other guy" it would serve me right if a small herd of law enforcement officers came by my place. stole all my beer and equipment. handed me a nasty ticket and left. However, with the way the Homebrew shops are thriving, I don't think anyone cares for that particular law too much. It's a class B misdemeanor to produce any alcoholic beverage without a license in Utah. However, I feel it's worth the risk. :)
It's all Mormon law, regardless of who regulates it.

But is this due to the Morman influence in Utah and if so, what happened to seperation of Church and State?

Burn the witches! (with a silly british accent)

No but seriously. You can burn all the mormons if you want:cross:

Dang, and I thought CA was bad.

Well, in a lot of respects, it is bad, but at least we can get beer and/or liquor just about anywhere before 2AM. The line is drawn regarding the proof of pure grain alcohol; the legal limit is 151.

Oh and again. Article and picture were borrowed from Utah Beer he is a master of ****ed up utah alcohol ****. But, he does a lot of articles about cool and funny **** too

That's where I grew up, and probably the only reason people don't ask me what ward I'm in today :rockin:

I feel for ya, we have a large mormon population here in Idaho as well. Thankfully the laws are not nearly that bad here, but the influence from the church is definetly there. At least you have found the way to free yourself from the laws of the church. Keep on brewing!!!!!!!:rockin:

Seems to me that if enough people wanted the laws to change, they would elect people into office to change the laws. Until then, the majority seems to want things they way they are.

Lived in Utah for 5 years. Would still be there if it were not for the Mormans. They drove my wife batty with discrimination in the neighborhood and at school.

I have several Morman friends, but they are a very tight knit group in Utah and their legislature is rife with them. Most are pretty good people, but I have met a number of *****bag Mormans too.

Just remember, it's good to have a Morman with you when you go out drinking. :D

It's not a matter of seperation of church and state. This isn't an official decree by the LDS church, it's a matter of the residents of Utah getting the kind of government, and laws, that they want. Just as residents of very liberal states vote for generous public assistance programs and ambitious public works projects, and are willing to pay the high taxes that support such programs, residents of conservative states have different priorities. Utah is just a little more conservative in their views on alcohol consumption. Just as EdWort did, people move if they don't feel comfortable.

It's a beautiful state with some very good people but there's no way I'd live there because of their alcohol laws. There are just as many people who don't care for, or who are opposed to, alcohol that are willing to live there.

One of our members (I don't remember who) is missing the GABF this year to vacation in Moab. I've been there a couple of time, most recently a couple of months ago, and was unhappy with the fact that locally produced beers were mandated by the state to remain under 3.2% (the same breweries can produce higher alcohol version for export). However I felt that the trip was worth it for the stunning scenery - I brought my own alcohol and I was gone within a week. Yes, I'll likely return but I won't be living there.

IMG_08861.JPG

When I was moving out of Oregon ~4 years ago a similar law was passed. Manufacturers were in the process of reformulating drinks like Mikes Hard lemonade and other malt beverages to remain on grocery store shelves. I don't know what ended up happening, but that is just what I remember going on. So... if they did reformulate, a Mikes lemonade in Oregon is different from a Mikes lemonade in the rest of the country.

As a longtime Oregon resident, Apollo, I'm going to have to call bullshiet. I've never heard of them doing anything like that here, and anyone can buy Mike's Hard Lemonade at the grocery store. You may be thinking of the oregon distributors wanting to have more control over the distribution of beer, but if they tried to move malt liquor to grocery stores there'd be riots in the streets.

At some point in time around 2002-2003 the Oregon Liquor Control Commission placed a ban on beverages with more than 0.5% distilled alcohol. The state legislature stepped up overturned that decision before it could go into affect in late June/early July 2003. The articles I found just say that the bill (House bill 3130) the legislature passed was going to Kulongoski for signing. I did not search further than 5 mins to find out if the gov signed that bill or not. I assume he did since malt bevs are still on the shelf.

I do remember hearing news segments at the time and thinking to myself "what's the big deal."

do a google search for malternative ban +oregon to find the same articles.

Yes I think the mormons do have a really big influence on this state. It's sad really, and there should be seperation, but there's not. They even own their own block on main street and if you're not dressed appropriately they have the right to kick you off. I think now you can brew your own beer. If I remember right you can have up to 5 galloons per adult in the home.

Ducks, beavers, whatever, they're both aquatic animals. You're right Janedoe, it is in fact legal to brew beer in Utah now.

Latest posts

Back