SG at 1.014 @ 68 degrees? Carboy time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sub1427

Reaction score
My hoegarrden clone has been in primary for 5 days now, the bubbles have slowed and the SG is at 1.014? do you think its time to move it to the carboy? :mug:

How long has it been at 1.014? I'd wait another day or two and check the SG again. If it's steady, then go ahead and transfer it.

Mine was 1.012 for the 3rd day in a row, and I racked to secondary last night. Very fun stuff. :)

Good luck.

Like Kevin said.:) If the bubbles have slowed to about one a minute, it may be done. But waiting another couple of days won't hurt anything other than your patience!

sub1427 said:
the bubbles have slowed
Slowed to what? One bubble per second? One bubble per minute...one bubble per day?

sub1427 said:
and the SG is at 1.014?
1.014 from what? It's at 1.014 now, but where did you start?

sub1427 said:
do you think its time to move it to the carboy?
At 1.014 it's probably ready to rack, but that really depends on where it started, and whether or not it's still fermenting. If the bubbles have slowed to less than one per minute, and the krauzen has fallen, and it's an average ale (say 1.050 OG) then yes, it's time to go to the carboy. On the other hand, if your bubbles have slowed to 6 per minute (from sixty), and you still have krauzen, and you started out at 1.040 or so...then no, you might not be ready to go to secondary quite yet.

Generally, with my "average" gravity (1.040-1.060) batches I go from primary to secondary after ~7 days @ ~65F.

Not to derail too much, but do you happen to have the recipe for the Brave Ulysses Cream Ale in your primary? Sounds neat.

Kevin K said:
Not to derail too much, but do you happen to have the recipe for the Brave Ulysses Cream Ale in your primary? Sounds neat.
I'm pretty sure tiny purple fishes is(are) one(or more) of the ingredients. :)

sub1427 said:
My hoegarrden clone has been in primary for 5 days now, the bubbles have slowed and the SG is at 1.014? do you think its time to move it to the carboy? :mug:
Are you saying your SG (Starting Gravity) was only 1.014? What do you mean by SG?

I always use OG (Original) and FG (Final) Gravity.

If you are talking about checking gravity somewhere between rackings I call that an Intermediate gravity check, but that's just me.

You can rack anytime you want if you want to get the brew off of the yeast and harvest it or the gravity is close to the FG for the style and you want to rack to allow it to clear a bit more.:D

Back