Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inkscape

I made my logos with it. I like it. I guess it all depends on what works for you.

New Logo 2.jpg

Winery.jpg

Yes I've learned there's a lot of open source and free alternatives to photoshop and illustrator out there and being that those programs are overpriced (but top of the line) it's definitely worth a download. Especially for just creating beer labels.

Just a heads up...photoshop is now a monthly subscription fee program. You download it and pay $20-50 a month for it. There was a special for $10 recently. Not saying its cheap but some people still think you need to shell out outrageous money upfront. I use elements as my labels are not that involved

Hi biermeisters...I'm a Noob and haven't really done a lot of labels. I just found an Avery peel and stick label(#22809) and use their template and Microsoft Office Word 2007. I used to work for FedEx Office and was spoiled using their proprietary software and had the full Adobe Suite at home that I bought at a huge discount. Since leaving there, my computer crashed and I no longer have my toys! Using an old, cheap computer until I can get a decent replacement. Aaaanyway, this is what I came up with for a friend's hefeweizen...he dives, spearfishes, swims with sharks, and finds beautiful fossilized Megalodon teeth. (One of which he is going to give to me in exchange for some beer!) Oh, and I have some bottles from Dogfish Head Brewing that have sharks pressed into the glass on the bottles...nice!

shark.jpg

IMAG2505.jpg

Anybody creating labels on your Ipad or the like? If so what apps are descent?

Good luck with an iPad. Without any decent styluses available that are precise enough for drawing, plus a lack of touch-sensitive controls, the best you'd manage would be little better than using a mouse on MS Paint. I've also read that the Photoshop app for iPad is unreliable at best.

(Speaking from an iPad owner by the way, so don't think I'm some Apple hater!)

Label for my hard apple cider I stole the picture from Google images and photo shopped it on my phone.

The best part was all the Google image search results for "panty dropper"

bottle lable.jpg

Label for our 2nd beer and 2nd label, a blueberry weizen. Also, our brewery logo and bottle cap art (circular). Comments and critiques welcome!

Blue Rebllion 2.jpg

logo.jpg

bottlecap.jpg

I use Microsoft Word with the Avery template 8164, print out on a laser printer, and cut to size using a paper cutter. Then I affix using a technique I found on the label forum, using about 1/2 cup of hot water and 1/2 a packet of Knox gelatin mixed and put in a spray bottle. I use the spray bottle to put the adhesive on the label, and then put it on the bottle. When it is time to take the label off, hot water does the trick in about 10-15 seconds. :)

DSC_0055.jpg

1273520_10201839397562642_1312217429_o.jpg

964289_10202065536415972_940377241_o.jpg

I use Microsoft Word with the Avery template 8164, print out on a laser printer, and cut to size using a paper cutter. Then I affix using a technique I found on the label forum, using about 1/2 cup of hot water and 1/2 a packet of Knox gelatin mixed and put in a spray bottle. I use the spray bottle to put the adhesive on the label, and then put it on the bottle. When it is time to take the label off, hot water does the trick in about 10-15 seconds. :)

Do you mind posting the technique?

Yea I downloaded Gimp. Trying to learn it. A lot to it. Thanks for the replies.

I am with you. I used it to manipulate (very basically) some photos to put on the wall. I would love to know more.

So for you gimp experts.

Do you have any help for the guy who opens the software opens a graphic file of one of my pictures I want to start with for a label, then starts to stutter and drool like an idiot with no clue how to proceed. Is there a short course on terminology and work flow to create a basic label.

Thanks
Wayne

Do you mind posting the technique?

Here is where I learned about the gelatin adhesive technique:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/use-knox-its-best-label-adhesive-354082/

Make sure you stir in the gelatin with a whisk or fork for about a minute. I then use a funnel to pour the mixture into a cheap spray bottle I got from the dollar store. I only spray 2-3 times on the back of each label, then affix the label to the bottle. I use a damp paper towel to smooth out the label onto the bottle and ensure the adhesive sticks well.

My first two attempts. Fall line is on the bottle and some will be served on a family ski trip. Eurich Pond is next up and will be unveiled at a wedding. Eurich is pronounced "irish" and is a mountain biking trail we enjoy. Not nearly the beautifully done things I have seen here. Just a simple picture with text boxes.

fall line stout.jpg

pond2.png

Jpcourtney you do some nice work. You also get the award for living in the most remote location. I love that area in the Sandhills.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is a rough pass I made at a strawberry blonde I'll brew tomorrow. I'd greatly appreciate any criticism or comments on my design. This is my second brew (and label), so I'm still learning the ropes. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391864911.336122.jpg

edit: the jpeg artifacts will be removed before printing. photoshop is having trouble saving PNGs for some reason.

This is a rough pass I made at a strawberry blonde I'll brew tomorrow. I'd greatly appreciate any criticism or comments on my design. This is my second brew (and label), so I'm still learning the ropes. View attachment 177943

edit: the jpeg artifacts will be removed before printing. photoshop is having trouble saving PNGs for some reason.

I like that a lot, simple and colorful. Well done.

I find myself drawn to the sun a little too much. Maybe try rotating the sun so that the lines are horizontal and see how that looks. Also try it with the sun's lines perpendicular to the mountain's. If neither one of those looks better to you, leave it the way it is.

This is a rough pass I made at a strawberry blonde I'll brew tomorrow. I'd greatly appreciate any criticism or comments on my design. This is my second brew (and label), so I'm still learning the ropes. View attachment 177943

Love that.
:off:
Mind posting your recipe and technique for the strawberry blonde?

Mind posting your recipe and technique for the strawberry blonde?

Yep, no problem. I'm trying out BM's centennial blonde recipe with a couple small tweaks because of availability (S-04 yeast, a little less caramel malt b/c I only had 20L on-hand, a little more Vienna malt because of the decreased caramel).
After two weeks on the primary, I'll siphon half of my fermentor to a secondary and add 3-4 pounds of strawberries. I'll probably leave the strawberries in for a month before crash cooling and bottling. I'm brewing in about 30 minutes, so we'll see how it all goes...

BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde Recipe

Back