Anyone prefer German bock 833 to octoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneandahalfshepherds

Reaction score
Yes its that time of year...Octoberfest time!!!! Anyone prefer 833 to 820? Thoughts?

Edif: haha i wrote germin instead of german in the title...yooper helpppp!!!!!

I prefer wlp833 to most other malt forward lager strains, it's fast, doesn't throw lots of sulfur and generally has very little diacetyl. It's also fairly clean all the way up to 55 F.

I love 833, the Ayinger strain is my go to lager yeast. I always ferment at 50, let it ramp to60 for a couple days for a d-rest and then ramp down to 40 for lagering. I am going to make a new school Oktoberfest, the kind served today, using this yeast.

Do you brew oktoberfest with it? If so what temps do you use for this strain? Recipe?

I usually pitch at 45F and let free rise to 50F, wait until fermentation slows and then do a probably pointless diacetyl rest for 2-3 days. Cold crash for 2-3 more days just above freezing and then keg.

As far as recipe, are you looking for a traditional oktoberfest beer or something that is more like what they currently serve in Munich?

I love 833, the Ayinger strain is my go to lager yeast. I always ferment at 50, let it ramp to60 for a couple days for a d-rest and then ramp down to 40 for lagering. I am going to make a new school Oktoberfest, the kind served today, using this yeast.

I am deciding on what recipe to use to for my first Octoberfest and lager for that matter. Care to elaborate on your recipe for a newer style Fest beer?

R2DBrew

Style: Octoberfest/Marzen OG: 1.060
Type: All Grain FG: 1.016
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.76 %
Calories: 197 IBU's: 27.30
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.83 Gal
Color: 13.3 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.057 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 72.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 74.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
4.00 lbs 30.77 % Vienna Malt 60 mins 1.036
1.00 lbs 7.69 % Caramunich Malt 60 mins 1.033
3.00 lbs 23.08 % Pilsner (2 Row) Ger 60 mins 1.037
5.00 lbs 38.46 % Munich Malt 60 mins 1.037

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.75 ozs 27.30 Hallertauer 60 mins 4.80

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg German Bock Lager White Labs 0833

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 each Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 154.0°F
Add 17.50 qt water @ 171.0°F

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
34.5 psi Force Carbonation 74.0°F 2.70

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.833

Josh

Thanks. I like that recipe. A little higher OG than I was thinking but I think I'll like the higher FG that comes with it.

Have you brewed this? And/or used WLP833?

I've subbed 833 in to the BCS recipe which is a traditional version before with good results, I prefer recipes without caramunich malts such as:
Modern Version
55% Vienna
40% Pilsner
5% Munich II

Traditional version a la Kris England
80-90% Vienna
10-20% Dark Munich (must be continental maltster, do not use Briess)

FWH to 25 IBU with whatever noble hop floats your boat. OG 1.057ish for either FG should be around 1.015-12, mash around 154-152 or so. You can also add a dash of caramunich II if you really want, but keep it below 10% and subtract from the munich/vienna portion of the grain bill.
Lager at least 4 weeks preferably a minimum 12-16 if you can manage it.
You should try to keep sulfate levels low as they tend to clash with noble hops IMO.

Copy copy thanks for the maltucation! Here is some pics in return of my partygile. I tried to show color for the first runnings and last runnings of my wee heavy partygile ( decided to postpone the Octoberfest until next weekend)

image-1412274328.jpg

image-1921636437.jpg

What about WLP838, Southern German Lager yeast? Anybody use that for an Oktoberfest/Marzen? I've heard good things... But am trying to decide which to use between it and 820, 830, and 833. Never done a lager before, but finally got the fermentation chamber set up, so hoping to make an Oktoberfest as my first (maybe I should make a cherry lager so I can pop it?! Sorry... Terrible joke). Just not sure which would work best... It'll be extract (Munich LME and light DME for the base, with Caramunich, Carabohemian, and maybe some Carapils for steeping), if that helps with which would work best. Thanks for any input!

I used 838 So German Lager for an Oktoberfest last year and it turned out great. Nice and malty, easy, clean fermentation. I've also used the German Bock yeast for a Maibock earlier this year. It was very slow to start, but after that it did a great job. Very clean, full attenuation.

Back