Early Beer Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reibrew

Reaction score
So.. I decided to drink a couple green beers just for fun.

I bottle condition, after 3 days I opened a bottle and it was barely drinkable. Strong astringent taste, little to no head. Tonight is day 6, still a faint astringently taste but definitley more drinkable, drank the whole thing. Actually after half a glass I could barely notice the off flavours.

Curious to see how this will be in a week or two :D

To me 3 weeks is still "green," but good enough. I have to get more bottles ready for the next batch. No rest for the weary!

I typically condition for 3 weeks. Today i opened a fuggles ipa that had fermented 5 weeks and in bottle for 3. Seemed a bit green. I have 4 in the fridge, which i likely wont drink.....but my 2 cases in basement will stay there another 2 weeks.

I did a ryepa extract kit once where we put in hops before malt ( 1st time bottling & brewing to fill pipeline). We cooled down, malted and then went back to hop boil. At 3 weeks.....was not a fan, but at 6.....dynamite brew....probably best beer pal and i have done.

Drinking at 3 or 7 days sounds like a experiment. Id just get a 6 and drink the home brew when its good.

So.. I decided to drink a couple green beers just for fun.

I bottle condition, after 3 days I opened a bottle and it was barely drinkable. Strong astringent taste, little to no head. Tonight is day 6, still a faint astringently taste but definitley more drinkable, drank the whole thing. Actually after half a glass I could barely notice the off flavours.

Curious to see how this will be in a week or two :D

Did you put it in the fridge first?

After about 4 weeks in the fermenter when I'm ready to go to keg I will empty my hydrometer sample into a taster and chill in the fridge to get a preview of what's to come. Those 2 ounces are all the sampling I do before the beer is ready to serve.

Back