Krausen or left over StarSan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SciencePig

Reaction score
So I didn't fear the foam on this brew but the fermentation appears a little different. More for curiosity than anything is the reason for my question. I had some foam left in the carboy when transferring from the kettle and there was a lot of foam in the carboy after the transfer was complete.

Time had passed and I added the yeast. about 12 hours later I have active fermentation. The concern is the Krausen I am used to seeing is not there, I see a lot of foam. I posted a picture for visual aide. I know at this point it doesn't really matter because it is fermenting but I am a little worried about the flavor and harmful affect it may have on the beer and my body when consumed.

thanks!

k1.jpg

There's no need to worry about harmful effects or flavor with starsan, even with a ton of foam. It breaks down in benign components that the yeast love, and that are found in many things we consume, such as soda pops.

Nothing to worry about.

Back