Removing hop bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guldalian

Reaction score
For those of you who use nylon hop bags in the boil, do you remove them immediately at flame out or not until the wort has cooled to pitching temp?

I remove my hop bag a minute before I turn off the burner and squeeze the wort out of the bag by pushing the bag against the side of the kettle with my brewing spoon. Doing it a little before you cool it off will disinfect any nasties that I may have introduced with my spoon.

I pull mine, but due to my setup, it would be a pain to chill with the bag in. Still trying to find a good way to get my IC into the boil for 10 with a strainer bag stretched around the rim of the pot. :/

Really depends on what I'm brewing. If its a hop forward type of IPA or pale, i will leave it in while cooling. It it's not a hop forward type of brew, I take it out at flame out. I use a hop spider for the pellet/leaf hops, fwiw.

I leave the hop bag in during the duration of my slow chill, let it hang drip, maybe squeeze it a tiny bit, and then remove/discard it prior to aerating and pitching the yeast.

AnOldUR said:
Toss them in loose. Rack from above them after chill and whirlpool.

I have thrown them in loose. While they have eventually settled out, I feel like I get more wasted wort trying not to get the hop debris in my fermenter than if I use bags. I know it's better for utilization to forgo the bag. Maybe I should just plan for the extra loss. Also I worry about extra bittering/harshness/astringency from the beer sitting on hop debris for a long time.

Back