Chocolate Porter Cheesecake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcat Brewmeister

Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cooking with beer is the theme for our homebrew club meeting this month. I love beer, I love cheesecake - hmmmmm... (insert Homer here)

Crust:
1 1/2 cups of chocolate graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of melted butter
Crust topping:
4 ounces of Baker's chocolate dipping sauce
1 1/2 ounces of Porter
Filling:
5 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese, softened at room temp or in microwave
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups or fine white sugar
1/8 cup of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
12 ounces of Porter

-Boil 12 ounces of Porter down to 4 ounces. Cool in refrigerator or freezer.
-Mix graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter together in food processor. Press mixture into the bottom of one 9 or 10 inch springform pan.
-Heat the dipping chocolate in microwave according to instructions. Mix in Porter and heat again. Pour mixture over the crust. Quickly (before it sets) and gently spread mixture over crust.
-In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, eggs and egg yolks; mix until smooth. Add the fine white sugar, flour and heavy cream. Blend until smooth - do not over mix as it adds air which can cause the cake to crash or crack when cooling. Pull out 1 cup of the mixture. Pour remaining batter into prepared pan.
-Add Porter to the 1 cup of filling that was pulled out and mix. Drizzle over top of cheesecake. Drag a knife and though the cheesecake to create a marbled effect.
-Bake at 200 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 3 hours. Turn off oven, crack door, and let sit for 1 hour or until filling is set. Refrigerate for 24 hours.

It is going in the fridge now. It smelled really good in the oven - can't wait to try it. I may make another topping like the crust topping and drizzle it over the top of the cheesecake.

OMG this sounds amazing - please post a follow-up to let us know how it turned out.

Beer + Cheescake = 2 of my favorite things. ;)

Post tasting updates PLEASE. This sounds awesome.

My SWMBO makes a killer pumpkin cheesecake so I'm going to have her try this. KLet us know what you'd do differently.

Well, it went over quite well. There were a lot of main courses there so it didn't get touched for 20 minutes. I looked over 5 minutes later and it looked like a shark attack. If I do say so myself, it was damn good. If I did it again, I would do like the recipe above says (I modified this posted recipe already before even cooking it by adding the boiling reduction to concentrate the flavor and keep it from being too runny - I ended up solidifying the porter stirred into the cake with a bit more dipping sauce, but the concentrated reduction is a better idea). I would also not use dipping sauce or I would use more beer in it because it rehardened when I thought I diluted it to the point of being tacky but not hard. I would dilute it more or use a porter reduction with chocolate sauce.

IMG_0230.jpg

Baked it tonight... couldn't find chocolate graham crackers at my grocery store so just used regular. Also couldn't find Baker's Chocolate Dipping Sauce, so I just melted down 4 ounces of baker's chocolate. I also used the stout I have in primary as the beer. Waitting on the filling to set right now:

cheesecake.jpg

I haven't looked for chocolate graham crackers before, but I have used the Oreo pie crusts before that are basically the chocolate cookie part made into a crust. It is great in cheesecake.

Back