What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I am a severe asthmatic, and my local home brew shop told me that I should not use the powder sterilizer as it could impact on my asthma, and not to use bleach as it stuffs up the fermentation process.
Which is a sterilizer to use on my bottles? Is iodine acceptable and safe?

Is anyone able to answer my questions below?

For the sake of clarity, and for non US brewers, could you tell us what these products are?

Oxyclean - is this the laundry product, ?

Would that be the same as something like this? Vanish

One Step - is this a bleach?

Starsan isnt available here either, we have something called Perasan : Peracetic acid based oxidising disinfectant which is free rinsing, low foaming and non-selective. Exhibits a broad spectrum kill at ambient temperature. Should be used at ambient temperature, at concentrations of 0.15 to 0.5% (1.5 - 5ml / L of water). Solution must remain in contact with surface for minimum of 5 mins. Hot water should not be used as this causes corrosion.

Hi, I am a severe asthmatic, and my local home brew shop told me that I should not use the powder sterilizer as it could impact on my asthma, and not to use bleach as it stuffs up the fermentation process.

iodine could be used, and the Iodophor is an iodine solution - it comes concentrated, so follow mixing directions. This would be your sanatizer. You should avoid things like oxyclean.

I haven't used Star San, so I don't know how much 'mist' the foaming creates. Probably none at all. I've had no problems with Iodophor and it creating any sort of air particles to breath in.

For the sake of clarity, and for non US brewers, could you tell us what these products are?

Oxyclean - is this the laundry product, ?

Would that be the same as something like this? Vanish

One Step - is this a bleach?

Starsan isnt available here either, we have something called Perasan : Peracetic acid based oxidising disinfectant which is free rinsing, low foaming and non-selective. Exhibits a broad spectrum kill at ambient temperature. Should be used at ambient temperature, at concentrations of 0.15 to 0.5% (1.5 - 5ml / L of water). Solution must remain in contact with surface for minimum of 5 mins. Hot water should not be used as this causes corrosion.

Oxyclean is a laundry product, in another form, the base cleaning/'sanatizing' agent it in is the same one as One Step. They both work by creating a H2O2 solution (hydrogen peroxide) which requires a long time -10 min- in contact to sanatize. Most home brewers prefer something faster, like 'instant'.

Oxyclean would be similar to that vanish product with O2 built in.

Took a look at the Perasan homepage. Found that you had to keep it in contact for 5 mins, it also uses a H2O2 solution (that oxidizing it mentions) to kill things, and is recomended for the wine industry over clorine (a data sheet I skimed at the site). >shrugg< You could use it, I used one step when I started and only had 1 infection with it over many beers - I did the sanitation on a bit of tubing to fast. Just be sure to follow the instrctuions that they have for using it for disinfecting.

In the US, a sanatizer kills 99.999% of the microbs in X amount of time (<30 sec? less than 5?) I'm not sure if that is a standard, or just a US FDA definition. But my suggestion would be to go to your favorite drinking establishement/bar/restaunt at a time when the bartender is easy to talk to and ask to see what he uses for sanatizing the glassware. Or try a restraunt supply shop for a sanatizer.

Not sure I agree with your LHBS guy on bleach. I've used it off and on for years, and never had a problem with fermentation. And you don't need very much. When I was brewing in a brewpub, I sanitized 15 bbl fermenters with 1 capful of bleach in 1 bbl of water, recirculated for 30 minutes.

On the Oxyclean topic, I've been using the Oxyclean Free version for a couple years now to great effect. The Free version contains no perfumes, etc. I just mix it up and let it sit in the bucket, carboy etc for about 20-30 mins while I'm doing other things. Haven't had a problem.

Cheers
~r~

For cleaning I have been using a mix of 6 parts Oxyclean, 2 parts Trisodium Phosphate and 2 parts Sodium metasilicate (by weight) with good success. I use it in the same concentration as PBW. For Sanitizing I use Starsan as directed. If I use RO water when mixing Starsan it lasts longer and doesn't get cloudy.

I usually rinse my fermenting buckets out with 60 degrees C water and then store them if I'm not immediately using them. I usually scrub them with a towel since it's non abrasive and make sure I get all the junk off.

Then when the time comes to use said bucket, I fill it to the brim with hot water and put a cap full of bleach with the water and let it sit for 60 minutes or so.

Everything else gets the hot water rinse and towel scrub and then sanitized before I use it.

My bottles get a good rinse and shake when they're empty and then a hot water rinse and inspection before I sanitize the bottles and fill them. If I find any junk in the bottom, I put in a wee bit of oxy clean and leave it be until the junk comes out.

Should I change any of my methodology? I always make sure there's no physical gunk on stuff, always scrub it with a towel and sanitize everything.

Anybody here uses B.E.S.T, an iodine based sanitizer? I wanted to try Iodophore to sanitize before bottling - I use starsan for everything else. My LHBS does not carry iodophor. But they carry B.E.S.T. They claim that it is a no-rinse sanitizer but wanted to check your experience before I buy it. Not a lot of info about this on the web.

Thanks in advance.

Does anybody know if Birko's non caustic alkali cleaners (BruReze, CellRMaster) are available in home use size containers?

I have been using Proforce restaurant sanitizer for 3 years. I have had no problems with contamination. My brew buddy has been using it too for the same amount of time. We use it to sanitize everything from brew equipment to bottles. I got it from Sam's Club for $5 a gallon, much cheaper than the pricey brew shop sanitizers.

If it's an FDA approved sanitizer, then chances are it'll be perfectly fine. I'll stick with Star San.

So i had to do some minor sanitizing the other day and i did it in one of my 5-gallon brew buckets. Now i have all this left over water that is fin to use for other projects but how long (as in days) can i wait to reuse this?

I've read quite a lot about PBW vs Oxyclean and have used PBW from the start. I recently bought a tub of Oxyclean and tried it out. Very effective, but leaves that film I've read about. I'll swish with vinegar and it should remove. Bottom line, you want to save a buck, get som OC. Want simplicity? Get some PBW. My time is worth the PBW. Not to say I won't use OC in the future! Disclaimer: It's been cold and I don't have hot water in my brewshed. Figure that could cause more filming when using OC. I'm not snob, just love brewing and looking for best practices.

There is a great hospital grade disinfectant called Zerotol - a hydrogen peroxide/ peracetic acid. It kills a lot more than bleach does. I pick it up at our local farm Co-op.
You can make a homemade version of it really cheap. I think it's 3 parts hydrogen peroxide to 1 part vinegar. The vinegar reacts (safely) with the peroxide to form a percentage of peracetic acid. The peroxide "scrubs" the microbes and the acid burns 'em up.
It is great for washing/ rising bottles.

Hi all, new to brewing and will be doing my first batch tomorrow (I am really tempted to just leave work right now and get it going).

Anyways, my brew kit came with LD Carson's no-rinse 'Easy Clean' powder. It is not labeled as a sanitizer. After scouring these forums and not coming up with much about the stuff, I gave LD Carson a call and was informed that it's a mixture of sodium percarbonate and sodium sulfite. That means that this stuff is pretty much just oxyclean with a sanitizing agent, right?

I'd rather use it up before buying a more well-known (read: expensive) sanitizer if I can get away with it. Does anyone have any experience with this product, or any intuition regarding whether it would work as a sanitizer as well as a cleaner?

EDIT: After looking around a little harder, I found more info on it--I'm going to go ahead and use it this time then upgrade on my next brews. Anyways, I'd delete this post but I can't seem to figure out how! Cheers everyone, this forum has been an incredible resource.

gan said:
Hi all, new to brewing and will be doing my first batch tomorrow (I am really tempted to just leave work right now and get it going).

Anyways, my brew kit came with LD Carson's no-rinse 'Easy Clean' powder. It is not labeled as a sanitizer. After scouring these forums and not coming up with much about the stuff, I gave LD Carson a call and was informed that it's a mixture of sodium percarbonate and sodium sulfite. That means that this stuff is pretty much just oxyclean with a sanitizing agent, right?

I'd rather use it up before buying a more well-known (read: expensive) sanitizer if I can get away with it. Does anyone have any experience with this product, or any intuition regarding whether it would work as a sanitizer as well as a cleaner?

EDIT: After looking around a little harder, I found more info on it--I'm going to go ahead and use it this time then upgrade on my next brews. Anyways, I'd delete this post but I can't seem to figure out how! Cheers everyone, this forum has been an incredible resource.

I like this stuff. Used 5 pounds of it so far. It works at the proper concentration, but doesn't keep for very long unless stored in the dark, closed up.

If you want to know if it's gone south, just fill a growler with it, shake it once with your hand as the 'lid'. Gas should blow out. No gas, no soup for you! The wonders of catalase....

Lots of people have noted on here that they mix up a batch of Starsan and use it over and over for "a long time" or "several months." How can you tell when it will no longer be effective?
Someone mentioned testing the ph level, but I also am not sure what the best way to do that is.
Thank you!

Lots of people have noted on here that they mix up a batch of Starsan and use it over and over for "a long time" or "several months." How can you tell when it will no longer be effective?
Someone mentioned testing the ph level, but I also am not sure what the best way to do that is.
Thank you!

Some people just use it as long as it stays clear. While this is probably OK, I prefer to use a pH test for the recommended level (&#8804;3). I just use the cheap pH test strips. A little tube containing a whole bunch can be had at finer homebrew supply outlets everywhere. I got mine from Midwest........

For .50 cents per use I mix up a new batch of starsan for every use, and keep a spray bottle full for the little areas. It might be wasteful but I know its fresh. And instantly cloudy with my water. But still ok because I check the PH with my digital meter.

I'm now converting to PBW & Starsan and was wondering how long you let things soak like the racking cane, tubing auto siphon etc
Do you let them soak in PBW. Or just Starsan ?

Thanks.

Anything I'm cleaning with PBW gets soaked in hot (faucet hot) PBW mixed according to package directions for 1/2 hour. Star San is a contact sanitizer. Any time works, as long as all surfaces to be sanitized are covered. Also, SS only works while wet. Most of my Star San is applied with a spray bottle. Very, very economical.

How long can 1 step be used for? I may bottle tomorrow and I am going to fill my bottles now with 1 step and let them sit. Also, if I sanitize my equipment / bottles how long can i let them sit before I have to re sanitize?

anyone use ethanol? I have a still and when i have a bad batch of beer i distill it to around 88% pure ethanol and use it. or I just ferment a few kilos of sugar and distill it when I am having a lazy night in. the wife loves it too cause aint nuttin this stuff can't clean or kill! got mould? one spray and the toughest build up of mould just fades away before your eyes

a quick spray of ethanol and a blast with the blowtorch and anything is good to go. also makes it pretty easy to keep hands sterilised, and any siphons etc

? about keeping star san and the foam

I had a cleaning tray full and open to air for a few days. pH is still <3, but there is a slime that settled onto everything sitting in it. it's very slippery and takes some rubbing under water to get it off. it sure isn't something I want on anything that goes into the beer

when rinsing bottles with star san pouring it out leaves a ton of foam in there. Can that affect beer head? the last batch of bottles had some foam that was clearly from the star san sitting in the air space after bottling/capping.

other than these worries easyiest, and probably near cheapest sanitizer when you reuse. Also don't need to throw out when it gets cloudy. It is sanitizing as long as the pH is low. (they say like <3 as a CYA statement, but people say it is good up to like 3.5)

What is the big advantage to not having to rinse? I use star San but I always rinse anyway. It just seems strange to me to leave any residue in a bucket or carboy. Am I defeating the sanitization by rinsing? I've never had any problems with my procedures but maybe I need to get over my fear of leaving any residue.

The advantage of not rinsing is that you don't risk there being sufficient bacteria in the rinse water to leave you with an infected batch of beer. As you surmise, you risk defeating the santization by rinsing.

Thanks. That makes sense. But since I use the same water to rinse as I do in my beer (the boil as well as to top off) I'm already exposed to the bacteria in the water anyway.

I can see this being relevant for someone who does full boils, but if you add unboiled water to your primary, does it really add any risk of bacteria?

5 Is Not Enough said:
What about clorox wipes for workspace surface sanitation? I use them often and they are good for quick cleanups and surface prep, though a little on the expensive side.
I also use lysol to sanitize the area around where I brew.
Important to note though is not to allow contact with the actual fermenter & brewing equipment, and the flammability of the lysol spray.

Are you talking about surgery or brewing?

Does anyone use a rinsing agent ? I started using Hydrogen Peroxide
after washing the better bottles with oxy before letting them dry it
seems to help the water sheet off the inside of the bottles.

OK soaked in Star Stan all night and then went out and got CLR. tried it in a bucket diluted. while soaking in the solution I kept whipping the top with straight CLR. Deposits still there. Arizona has some hard water.

Try vinegar and water. It will nuetralize the acid in the water spots.

Hey guys, I have a few quick questions about cleaning/sanitizing.

1. What are the exact differences between cleaning/sanitizing?

2. The only thing I use to prepare my bottles for bottling is non-scented dish soap. Is this sufficient?

3. If not, what effects will it have on my beer?

Hey guys, I have a few quick questions about cleaning/sanitizing.

1. What are the exact differences between cleaning/sanitizing?

2. The only thing I use to prepare my bottles for bottling is non-scented dish soap. Is this sufficient?

3. If not, what effects will it have on my beer?

1.A. Cleaning is the removal of material from a surface.

1.B. Sanitizing is killing or rendering inactive microorganisms on a surface.

As you can see, these are quite different things. Cleaning is generally accomplished with soaps, detergents, surfactants, etc. Sanitizing is accomplished by chemicals that sanitize per the above definition.

2. No. You need to sanitize the interior of the bottle, which the dish soap (although it may do a perfectly good job of cleaning) does not do. I use Star San, squirted up into the bottle with a vinator (a sort of pump). Both of these products are available at finer homebrew supply outlets everywhere.

3. The bottle part? Maybe nothing, maybe you'll get random bad bottles of beer.

Since Oxiclean now has several different products and names have gotten more elaborate, and there are several other brands of products that contain Oxiclean, it can be confusing as to which product is used as an equipment cleaner. Just having "Oxyclean" listed in the original post is a little obsolete (and mispelled). So........

I think I've figured out which product is used:

Oxiclean Versatile Stain Remover Free (powder)

3 lb. Rectangular Tub
51Nduq7eQWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

3.5 Round Tub
61v6ndfTFoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If this is the correct product, maybe a mod or the OP could edit the original post to say:

Oxiclean Versatile Stain Remover Free (powder)

On a side note, most of us remember this product first showing up on the sheister-y late night As Seen On TV commercials. Apparently this product's "Carny" beginnings have not been shed entirely. The smaller 3 lb tub is usually 7-8 bucks, while the larger 3.5 lb tub is sold for 15-16 bucks. It looks like there are larger 5 and 6 pound tubs available as well, which seem to be priced appropriately. But that 3.5 lb. round tub seems to be a rip off.

Back