When to rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick123

Reaction score
Hi al,

I'm making a blueberry wine. It is throwing a lot of lees. Can I rack it before it is done fermenting or should I wait until it is completely done?

Thanks

I would wait until it clears or about 60 days after I put it into the secondary.

Made 90 galof blackberry wine and per Jack Keller's receipe I left mine on the lees for about 3 mo...Sat it took me over 8 hours to rack it...

I rack out of primary on about day 5-7. Once it's in secondary, I wait at least 30 days or so to rack the first time if there are lots and lots of lees. The lees do tend to compact quite a bit. After that, I rack only after 45-60 days when there are 1/4" lees or if there are quite a bit of lees. Once there are no new lees falling after 60 days, then I either bottle or bulk age.

LOL..I do with the Blackberry Farmer, who asked me if I could make it without alcohol...got to love those Bapist..

Back