Big Brew Weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
This is a busy brew weekend for me. I brewed a Fat Tire clone last night...this morning it's bubbling away and sitting in it's water bath already. Today I'm gonna start brewing a batch of Baja Red chili, rack my hefe to secondary, and tear my hair out over some football. Tomorrow it's time to bottle my Hobgoblin clone. :cool:

Well, early football game today, :( so I'm forced to start drinking early too. :D What's everyone else brewing today?

No brewing today, but I'm off to Corvallis to get the ingredients for Poor Richard's Ale. Yesterday was the 12th anniversary of Golden Valley Brewing and I think I had too much cake. (all that unfermented sugar is bad for you).

Porter here. 1st recipe where I can't think of anything to change. Perfect just as it is and shall be a regular on tap :D

Not brewing today but I am upgrading my brewery. I'm adding another 15gal brew pot to my setup (ss Keg) so I can boil in parallel. Some of my 10gal recipes require up to 22 gallons of water which makes my current brewpot too small.
(I know..terrible dillema..)

I have to boil down nearly 2 hours before I reach the right volumes for hopping. Also, it doesn't leave much room for hot breaks either. I have to stand there for 2 hours with my hand on the propane valve.

I'm gonna need another hop stopper...come on Christmas.

I built another burner out of black pipe ,mortar and a gas valve. Pretty cheap gizmo. Built a stand out of threaded pipe to go over it. I'll post it if it works out alright.

I just got home from being gone to 2 weeks so I want to brew.

Unfortunately, I have to rack to secondaries and I have to bottle something, but the wife wants me to tile the bathroom floor.

Guess which one I'm doing? (HINT: It involves knee pads and thinset! :D )

Since we have no kids at home it really doesn't matter when I brew/clean/rack/bottle, etc.

Sudster said:
I'm adding another 15gal brew pot to my setup (ss Keg) so I can boil in parallel. Some of my 10gal recipes require up to 22 gallons of water which makes my current brewpot too small.

I built another burner out of black pipe ,mortar and a gas valve. Pretty cheap gizmo. Built a stand out of threaded pipe to go over it. I'll post it if it works out alright.
I feel like such a grasshopper...I boiled almost 4 gallons once. :(

Not to fret Grasshoppa, good things come to those who's kids graduate from college and buy you expensive gifts for Christmas. :D

Sudster said:
good things come to those who's kids graduate from college and buy you expensive gifts for Christmas. :D
Leaving now to go remind each kid about how much I love them, and how important college is, and where the LHBS is. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
I just got home from being gone to 2 weeks so I want to brew.

Unfortunately, I have to rack to secondaries and I have to bottle something, but the wife wants me to tile the bathroom floor.

Guess which one I'm doing? (HINT: It involves knee pads and thinset! :D )

Since we have no kids at home it really doesn't matter when I brew/clean/rack/bottle, etc.

I am empathising with you here Bill, my wife's on my back about some painting I gotta do....managed to put it off for 2 months...my luck has run clean out :(

No brewing for me this weekend, although I managed to get by the HBS yesterday for chocolate coffee stout ingredients to brew Thanksgiving, and this evening I'll bottle my ***** Creek ESB clone which, if my thieved sample yesterday was any indication, will really be a nice beer. The bummer is that my APA tastes like Miller, although it has another week to go in secondary on the hops, so...

I have not brewed anything within that last 4 months.....ouch!! Just finished installing the new floors throughout the whole house. This should keep the wife happy. Now, I am concentrating on upgrading my brew equipement and getting ingredients for a vanilla porter. Then going to start a peach ale for the wife. :D

I wanted to brew this weekend but the new SWMBO had a say about that this week. I've brewed for the last 3 weeks. I guess it's time I devoted some time to her.

I've got an oatmeal stout waiting to go. I'll try to work in a brew day next Sunday. I'll take to time to build up a really big starter this time. Maybe grow it 3 times to acquire 2 full liters of starter.

You all and your SWMBO's... I hadn't brewed in a good long while until today (school, I know it's a horrible excuse), but my goal was to make the simplest, cheapest pale ale I could and see how it turns out. 6.6 lbs of LME, 3 hop additions and 1 dry yeast packet later, I'm feelin' optimistic. :cool: only spent like 20 bucks on this brew

My wife is always really cool about brewing. For some reason she thinks the brewing hobby is cheaper than the jeep hobby, so in her mind that makes it alright.

BTW--in our big double brew day Saturday, she learned what SWMBO meant, and now she loves the brewing hobby even more. :p She thinks she is in some kind of control.....Hehe..... ;)

ORRELSE said:
My wife is always really cool about brewing. For some reason she thinks the brewing hobby is cheaper than the jeep hobby, so in her mind that makes it alright.

I think my wife figured out I'm going to obsess over something, and at least this obsession keeps me confined to the garage and relatively safe.

brewed friday= Big B's ESB. drank Flat Tyre ale, Great Divide Hot Shot ESB, Shiner '96, and Real Ale Rio Blanco Pale Ale. smorgasboard of brews, eh?

my wife loves the hobby too. she's always buying me stuff or cool with the things i buy. even like to go to the HBS w/ me. we just have to eat what she likes for lunch...

My wife just told me I have to give up brewing for a month before her next bunko night so the stink will have time to get out of the house. :mad: I just went and threw together a new starter so I can brew while I'm cooking the turkey. :p to you, SWMBO. :D

On Friday, a brewing friend is coming over and we (My wife, friend and I) are going to brew a couple batches. He says he wants to get ****-faced??? I think it has something to do with having to spend Thursday with his family. The weather is supposed to be great, I have a 4 day weekend, I bottled 2 batches last weekend, life is good!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! I will drink one in your honor!

Back