The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another fun conversation with a coworker. I brought him a few bottles of homebrew.

Me: Here ya go. It's some IPA.
Coworker: what's an IPA?
Me: it's a beer with a lot of hops.
Coworker: oh like miller lite, they triple hop brew. I don't know if I'll like it because the hops are too sweet.
Me: okay allow me to explain to you what you just said....

Jeez, how does one facepalm and crack up laughing at the same time? I'm having a hard time here :D

In Texas beer drink you!

Seriously though, in Texas beer is an alcoholic malt beverage under 4% ABW, ale (or malt liquor) is malt beverage above 4% ABW.

This was in North Dakota. Here beer is beer, ale is ale and lager is lager. The only thing I say good about ND is folk know what beer is and what it should taste like. Even though BMC still sells like hotcakes, even the small quicky marts sell two or three types of 'other' beers.

Another fun conversation with a coworker. I brought him a few bottles of homebrew.

Me: Here ya go. It's some IPA.
Coworker: what's an IPA?
Me: it's a beer with a lot of hops.
Coworker: oh like miller lite, they triple hop brew. I don't know if I'll like it because the hops are too sweet.
Me: okay allow me to explain to you what you just said....

Oh, that just hurts.

Here beer is beer, ale is ale and lager is lager

facepalm.gif

lof.gif

TotemWolf said:
This was in North Dakota. Here beer is beer, ale is ale and lager is lager. The only thing I say good about ND is folk know what beer is and what it should taste like. Even though BMC still sells like hotcakes, even the small quicky marts sell two or three types of 'other' beers.

Ah, "Texas Roadhouse" threw me off. Maybe the guy was trying to uphold the Texas experience.

Ah, "Texas Roadhouse" threw me off. Maybe the guy was trying to uphold the Texas experience.

that reminds me of the South Park episode where they take the school trip to the pioneer village and none of the villagers can break character no matter what. If you've not seen it don't worry , it was just replayed yesterday and the thought of Texas Roadhouse doing the same made me laugh :drunk:

Pommy said:
that reminds me of the South Park episode where they take the school trip to the pioneer village and none of the villagers can break character no matter what. If you've not seen it don't worry , it was just replayed yesterday and the thought of Texas Roadhouse doing the same made me laugh :drunk:

Turns out there is a TR near me. I thought of going in to test this new theory, but it looks like the darkest "beer" they have is Boston Lager. They do seem to carry the full lineup of Budweiser though, so there's that...

It's his birthday this weekend so I hope the beer turns out well for him, my 13 year old sister has already said she will have it if he doesn't like it and she's as hard to please as he is :tank:

Wait...what? You're going to give beer to your 13 year old sister? Bad Pommy! Bad!

I was a better wine taster at 13 than I am now. Nothing wrong with small amounts of alcohol with large amounts of education for youngsters.

I haven't had many people try my beer yet, but one good one about a Belgian White was:

Him: "This tastes like soda."
Me: "Really? Why do you say that?"
Him: "It's really carbonated."

I was a better wine taster at 13 than I am now. Nothing wrong with small amounts of alcohol with large amounts of education for youngsters.

certainly better than large amounts of alcohol with small amounts of education which was how I was introduced to beer. Much better now I'm older and wiser :mug:

I was at football tailgate. I brought yuengling. Everyone else drinking some BMC. We started playing a drinking game. Me with the yuengling. This girl looks at me and says "I can't believe you are playing this game. With a lager. I look at her bud light and say "your playing with a lager too."

To be fair, depending on where you are in the US "lager" can be synonymous with "Yuengling". Yuengling spends a fair bit of money marketing that concept in PA at least.

To be fair, depending on where you are in the US "lager" can be synonymous with "Yuengling". Yuengling spends a fair bit of money marketing that concept in PA at least.

I was at a bar and ordered a pitcher or lager (meaning Yuengling). The bartender asked if I wanted ice in it. What? No, of course not! She started filling a pitcher with WATER. Oops, I guess that band is louder than I thought.

bonzombiekitty said:

+1. Anywhere around Pit, you order "a lager" at a bar or resturaunt and theyll bring you a yuengling. Since the Particular beer doesnt have another "name" besides "lager", the locals there look at calling it "yuengling lager" like calling a budweiser an Anheiser-busch budweiser(i know i spelt A-B wrong but too lazy to check the exact spelling).

Great thread.. only took 3 hours to read the whole thing... :)

I've had all the cliche questions (bathtub, blindness, alcohol, can you make Coors light, etc.)

I'm really thankful for my Dad though. He is a long-time, hard-core Coors Light drinker, when he's not sipping a Canadian Mist or Crown Royal with some ginger ale. He will ALWAYS try one of my home brews, despite the fact he "hates that dark sh*t". So just for him, I made a severely watered down light ale, which I bottled just last week.

It tasted pretty good, so hopefully with some bubbles and cold it'll be a decent "Coors Light Clone".

My favorite response to "how to you get alcohol into it?" is akin to "I add a special fungus that eats sugar, farts CO2 and pisses alcohol. If you look inside one of my carboys, you can actually see their little peckers."

:-D

"I don't like dark beer"
"How many calories does it have"

1. Technically it's not a dark beer its just darker than Miller Lite
2. Drinking 13 Bud Lights instead of 3 of mine is not saving you any calories.

I recently had a friend request me to make a Bud Light clone, because he doesn't like the dark stuff.

I'm seriously thinking of delabeling and recapping some BL's, and putting a fancy label on it, just to see what he says.

What is the absolutely stupidest thing anyone has said to you concerning how your beer tastes?

I gave some to my chiropractor, somehow expecting a somewhat intelligent comment, since he appears to be a somewhat intelligent person.

He said, "Wow, that stuff had quite a kick!"

My SWMBO, (love her to death), always takes her first taste of something new, and says, "Kind of heavy!"

DUH

My Best Friend, Who is a Coors Light Drinker(i try not to hold it against him,sometimes its hard tho) Tried my Imperial Stout, and said "tastes like cold coffee", Then tried my smoked Porter and said "tastes like cold coffee" so at this point i have given up on him having a taste bud that works! The funny thing is My COFFEE STOUT he didn't think tasted like coffee, DUH IT HAD A GALLON OF COLD EXPRESSED COFFEE IN IT how does it NOT taste like coffee.... Damn BMC drinkers anyway lol :D

I recently had a friend request me to make a Bud Light clone, because he doesn't like the dark stuff.

I'm seriously thinking of delabeling and recapping some BL's, and putting a fancy label on it, just to see what he says.

Better yet, recap Keystone light.

I had dinner with some business partners at the Granite City Brewery when the waitress came by for drink orders.

Larry: I'll have a Coors Light.
Waitress: We don't sell commercial beers. We only sell what we make.
Larry: What do you have that tastes like Coors Light?
Waitress: Water.

I think she brought him a Pale Ale or something. Then Larry asked for a glass of ice and poured the beer over ice. Larry's a pig. I cant take him anywhere.

I would have asked the waitress for a date!

lextasy23 said:

You should delabel some other light lager and do this then tell him you found the perfect clone recipe and see what he thinks. Then have a delabled bud light and say here have another and let me know what you think.

bryanjints said:
You should delabel some other light lager and do this then tell him you found the perfect clone recipe and see what he thinks. Then have a delabled bud light and say here have another and let me know what you think.

Ya like this beer I tried cause my friend had it... Natural Light compared to my Irish Red it tasted like water:) So proud of myself.

I wonder how much is color. I keep telling myself I should get some sinomar and add it to a bud lite before recapping. Then hand it out as my new porter. Even with no added flavor or body, I'd probably still be told it's too heavy.

Ok this floored me.

Yeasterday, my neighbor was putting up a chain link fence so a friend of his and I were helping him. We decided to take a beer break, so I ran and grabbed 3 of my California Commons. My neighbor gladly took it. His friend looked at it and said, "No thanks, I only drink domestic beer."
The nieghbor laughed and said, "It doesn't get more domestic than this. He made it in that house." as he pointed to my place.
"Oh." said his friend, "Then why is it so danm dark?"
I thought my neighbor was going choke on his beer trying to keep from laughing at him.

I am so glad Im not the only one...In the area of Ohio I live in Coors Light is the go to beer so my I.P.A. and Bourbon Barrel Stout didnt go over to well at a camp out we had last night. I also brought a few bottles of Dogfish Heads 60 minute IPA which went unopened..

I once had a friend ask me my if homebrew "tasted like Budwiser." I just about smacked him upside the head. Instead I educated him as to the finer points of beer and he now doesn't drink any BMC product.

beerloaf

Hands dad a 2009 Stone Vertical Epic Clone
"Whew! This is too hoppy for me"
Or being in a college town I get a lot of BMC comments
Hands friend dogfish 60 clone
"This is ok, but I like how miller triple hops their beer."
Give someone cream of 3 crops, and tell them its better than BMC
"yea? is it cold brewed?"
I wrote a poem about IPA's in my creative writing class
one line was
"Pilsner glass abode"
to which my to which my professor replies
"Oh I didn't get it until you said Pilsner. I remember now IPA's are a kind of Pilsner."

I reiterate. I am lucky, or is it unlucky? The guys I hang with would probably drink chicha beer if I made it.

My friends and neighbors all were real beer fans to begin with, or have since been converted. In fact neighbor that I helped put up the fence for is coming over tomorrow to brew. He wants to start homebrewing.

This guy from work who sampled my beer and said..
"Yeah, miller light can stand up to your beer. It's triple hopped you know"!
Me "It's triple watered too".
Him" What I am saying is that they have to put more hops in miller light than you put in your beer".
Me " It's just clever marketing. They never put any hops in their beer to begin with. Zero times three is still zero".

And on top of that...people buy it....and it IS a business, so with that said, they are doing the right thing.

Craft beer is another dimension, where a more artistic view is put on creating truly remarkable beer. We simply cannot compare the two sides. We each have positives and negatives....can't we all just get along.

Nope, not when so many people refuse to be anything but ignorant. I do my absolute best to not overstep on topics to which I do not know but due to BMC mind set those "beer" drinkers consistently do.

To be a more on topic, I was very pleasantly surprised last weekend when I brought over craft beer and a bottle of my apple wine to a co-workers craw fish boil. Everyone was very receptive and complimentary. I was a bit worried as most of the people are extremely religious and do not drink very often if at all.

Yeah, I know those types bubbachunk. Say they never drink and stay away from beer and liquor like the plague but are total winos. It has "wine" in the name so they figured it'd be okay :D

My Brother,after sending him a six pack: Can this get you drunk?... Like real beer? And ovbiously " It seemed, dark and bitter."

Paymygasbill77 said:
This guy from work who sampled my beer and said..
"Yeah, miller light can stand up to your beer. It's triple hopped you know"!
Me "It's triple watered too".
Him" What I am saying is that they have to put more hops in miller light than you put in your beer".
Me " It's just clever marketing. They never put any hops in their beer to begin with. Zero times three is still zero".

I find your comment to be worse than your coworker. He doesn't know any better. The triple hopped comments are the perfect opportunity to explain how just about every beer has bittering, favoring, and aroma hops. Don't just make fun of someone like that, maybe they can be converted yet. I have recently converted a long time coors light drinker.

This is a bit off topic, yet seems like the place to ask:

I was looking at a menu of a restaurant I was considering taking SWMBO to this past weekend. They have their own brewery there, plus serve several local brews. On the menu, though, your beer options for $4 for a pint and $6 for a pilsner. Anybody got any clue about this? I was looking on-line so couldn't ask the wait staff. Do they think pilsner is another word for "big glass"?

Back