Syracuse, NY area - Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome guys - did any of your payments say that they needed to clear? i.e. when you look at the payment in paypal do any of them have a pending status or "processing"? Great job on knocking out the payment aspect in less than 24hours. Seriously, good stuff.

Regarding the payment issues - I would recommend that next time you either transfer money ahead of time Or put a credit card on your account to back it up. When you do this your bank transfer will happen instantly, and you won't get charged. Without running some tech support I can only think that your bank charged some fees or paypal did based on where your monies came from.

I just notified the buyer that we are paid up, so we might get grain this week. However if the payments weren't all instant payments that might throw the delivery off. I will let you know what I hear from Josh (the buyer)

So just to reiterate You, as the buyer, are responsible for picking up your grain or for making arrangements for someone else to pick up and hold your grain for you. Use this thread to hash out details as needed and pool together with other buyer's from similar locations.

EDIT - I should say for the new guys, I can hold your grain for a while with no issues. If I hold it, it will be stored in my insulated, but unheated garage on a pallet. Please let me know if this is your plan and I will set it aside with the order comes in.

FOR SPLIT SACKS: Work out the details with your partners. Bring something to put your share in, weigh it out on site, and take your portion. Or, one of you picks up the whole sack and deal with the splitting on your own time. Whatever. That's your decision to make with your splitting partners.

For reference: a 5 gallon bucket, depending on the type of grain, will just about hold half of a 55 lb sack.

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT STATUS:

1. (completed) Collect 42 sacks of grain for an order​
2. (completed)Our request for quote (RFQ) has been sent out by the buyer​
2. (completed)We hear back from the buyer on actual cost ( (completed)I pass out the actual cost to everyone)[/COLOR]​
3. (completed)Everybody pays up (the order will NOT ship until everyone has paid via paypal)​
4. (complete)Once payed up (following the paypal instructions on page one of this thread) - the order will ship.​
5. (completed) CidahMastah will let everyone know when the shipment is to arrive (completed) and where it is shipping to (completed) , when to pick it up(pending) .​
6. (PENDING)We all slap high five and say job well done.​

Haha - glad to help - love the herding cats line. One of my favorites!

For splits, I have a digital scale that tops out at five lbs. It takes a few weighs ins, but we can use this again for splitting weights. If someone has a nicer scale that holds more weight we can certainly use that. Also, based on how many splits are going on, it might not hurt to have two scales if people show up at the same time. Just some food for thought.

Hey thanks again for everything. So it was my bank that created the issue, because the buyer (josh) wasn't on my paypal for a contact it considered him a risk. All cleared up. Cidah if we do get the grain in by Friday I would like to come up Friday after work pending it comes in and your approval. Anyone know a decent priced place to order or get a wort chiller from. Just a 25' as I am only doing 5g batches and don't intend to move up in the near future.

Ooo yah I thought everyone would get a laugh over this. Don't know why I have it but I do.

Herding_Cats.jpg

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/

for wort chillers I havent ordered but they seem to have good prices. Id go for 50'. if you dont want to do that i have a 30' im getting rid of since i though, like you, i wouldnt need anything more.

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/

for wort chillers I havent ordered but they seem to have good prices. Id go for 50'. if you dont want to do that i have a 30' im getting rid of since i though, like you, i wouldnt need anything more.

Funny you mention this site. my buddy was planning on bying one from here instead of building one for our setup (1/2 @ 50'). Not worth making your own at this price. $80 for the copper in HD alone.

Let me know if any of you need my address for pick up. Up next is that I will receive the order, check it, and anyone can come pick up there after. It will probably be best to make it happen this weekend. However if you are antsy it is no sweat to make it work during this week, after work, on a person by person basis.

Thanks!

I have to be at Eastview mall here all weekend. We have a motorsports show and I am debuting my 2011 car with coors light, molson canadian, and twisted tea as corporate sponsors. Stoked about this, all brands have been great to me so far. So that was my reason for zipping up friday. Unless anyones coming this way ill throw some cash for gas.

I dont need your address, you are still in my GPS from last time.

Keep this up and I will have to add you to my favorites.

Chrisp - PM sent

Billie - Just a word about the dry DME. Josh let me know that the company was out of the DME, so they are going to drop ship it from location. It may take a week or so for it to arrive. i.e. no extra charge, but it won't come with the full grain order. Based on that information you may want to hold off pick up until it arrives (or not). Your call.

By distributor you mean for the grains or the drop shipped item. I'll assume grains, they ship it from Champlain, NY.

That is a correct assumption. Im just trying to plan when to come up. Depending on delivery I have wednesday thursday or friday of this week

Yeah it will likely be a last minute thing. Last time they told us Thursday, I worked from home and they called me and confirmed my phone number on Thursday... to call me on Friday. Either way, we should get it before the end of the week unless something funny happens. The lady said it always takes an extra day for residential delivery...

If you don't mind my bag of two-row being there until the dme arrives, then i'll pick them both up at the same time. Thanks Cidah, you da man!

It depends on when it gets in for me I can pick it up after work most nights. Im off Thursday's and Sunday's so whatever is best for you cidah.

Thanks for setting this all up.

jhenderson, do you have a black IPA recipe that you created? im looking for a good recipe to try and im not sure what yet... im kinda toying with my own right now. but it would be using de-bitter black more for an aesthetic look. i would love to see what your thinking of.

Cidah I'm thinking I'm probably going to need to pick this up from you. Can you pm me your address.

I've got one my buddy is toying with. Im gonna tweak and brew it next week, when I get an idea if its good or sucks id be happy to give it to you. Id hate to give a crappy recipe.

You are the man Cidah for getting this done quickly by ordering those last sacks! I might not be able to get out there for another week or two for my 4 split bags. I'll let you know for sure when. Thanks again for another successful round man!

FarmerJoe - no sweat I can hold the bags until you are ready.

Clef051- As soon as it comes in and I check it you can come any day during the week - will keep you posted.

My next brew is probably going to be a witbier for my wife - she has been asking about it. Thought I wanted to try moose drool or a hefe. Even the Tye IPA is sounding good. I might double brew two 10 gal batches this weekend to clear out some grain... or hopefully get my grain silo put in in my back yard... ha!

If anyones got a good wit or hefe recipe my gf would appreicate it. She's a huge Treogs Dream Weaver and Blue Moon Grand Cru fan.

I was going to try biermunchers (blue moon clone) or there was ed Wort's bavarian heffe I was going to try. HAven't tried either recipe yet though.

im kegging ed worts bavarian heffe this week. ill let you know how it turns out and if its worth a try. i dont make it out there this weekend to pick my stuff up maybe ill fill one bottle for you cidah

Hey - I can't say no to that!!

By then I may actually have my arrogant (screwed up hop schedule slighty) and obsidian stout. Maybe it will work out to swap a few bottles. I am trying to build summer pipeline!

i as am well... my barley wine is going to be transferred in about 20 days to the secondary on oak cubes for 4 months... my hefe is going into a keg as soon as i go buy another one (sometime this week) and my arrogant bastard is bottle primed and awaiting 2 week carbonation. that and im brewing a brown ale first week of april

Nice. Right now I have a pale ale(AG), torpedo clone (extract version), arrogant (AG) and obsidian (AG) carbing. Still need to get my skeeter pee carbing! and now that I look at it, it won't be too long until my Amarillo IPA and second batch of AB is ripening. Lots of stuff going on! Then I have some ciders that are getting ready to bottle as well.

Yeah I have 9 kegs I think - but even now I am choking and in need a little. My buddy doesn't have anything, so basically I am his carbing station (that is why he bought the blingman for us to use - he felt guilty). But that also means I get jammed up, because I only have space for 4 kegs in my keezer. Right now I am in a "carb" - "bottle" - "new keg in and carb" - "bottle" kind of rotation. With the double batches it will be a big demand too. Every batch is two kegs to carb. Good thing I have a 20lb CO2 tank.

Back