Rolling Rock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
My girlfriend after first sip:

"Man this is awesome! It tastes like nothing!"

Me:

"Ughhh"

Well, at least it's not BMC although I think miller or someone ownes it.....

Similar, but different:

Me: "You should try this, it tastes like nothing."
Her: "Ew. Still beer."
Me: "Ugh." (just wasted $2.50)
Her: "Ugh." (I hate beer...and he keeps making me try it)
Me: "Bartender, another Anchor Porter here, please."

Occasionally. If it's something that's not too hoppy. Most of the samples she just turns up her nose and says it tastes like beer.

homebrewer_99 said:
I can't even get my wife to drink mead...amI jealous?

Nah...I've got a personal DD!!;)
Same. I was so excited when SWMBO had me open a bottle of cider for her last night. She claimed she was buzzed after about 3 oz. I finished the bottle. I, too, have a permanent DD. I do, however, wish she'd get a little drunk from time to time...

Yuri_Rage said:
Same. I was so excited when SWMBO had me open a bottle of cider for her last night. She claimed she was buzzed after about 3 oz. I finished the bottle. I, too, have a permanent DD. I do, however, wish she'd get a little drunk from time to time...
Occasionally, she'll have a frozen Strawberry Margarita with Mex food, but that's about it...:D

my girlfriend will get drunk but she just doesn't like "good" beer...

Lone Star is her favorite (have to admit though it's my fav "cheap swill") and will drink mixed drinks...

so No permanite DD for me

hmm interesting...

well while she's drinking fermented hopped water, I've had a Franziskaner Hefeweisse Dunkel and I'm drinking a Samuel Smiths India Ale right now...

Good stuff I'm not sure if I really like the IPA really...just not really my cup of tea (or mug of beer!) but the Franziskaner was AWESOME....really really good

Ok I've got to get something off my chest.....yesterday was my 21st birthday and it is awesome being able to actually buy beer! Funny thing is picked up the Rolling Rock and a bottle of wine one the way home and didn't get carded! Man did I feel dumb!

greenhornet said:
well while she's drinking fermented hopped water, I've had a Franziskaner Hefeweisse Dunkel
The last Franzis Hefe I had was SKUNKED! I had a six pack of them, and I was excited to have found them. I wound up using them to warm brats...it was that bad.

Yuri_Rage said:
The last Franzis Hefe I had was SKUNKED! I had a six pack of them, and I was excited to have found them. I wound up using them to warm brats...it was that bad.

man that sucks because it was REALLY good...

hmm....better than this IPA (not that it's bad but the more I drink it the more I don't like it)

Bah, mine's no beer drinker either. She likes a frosty one only occasionally, and really liked ChillHayzes' Hefe I got in the Secret Santa, but as far as a regular beer drinker, or any kind of drinker, no dice.

She had a run in with a train in the early 90's so that kind of did it for her. And she gets kind of weepy when she overindulges anyway, so all in all I'll drink her share and let her drive home.

Ize

I am slowly turning my wife into a beer lover. Started with Bud...then onto Dos Equis, then onto Sam, then onto Rogue, and now my homebrew. The only thing she really doesn't care for are IPA's..although she likes the taste of my current IPA. She's cool cause even if it's a style she doesn't care for, she tries it to make sure.

Dan

My wife just told me tonight that she thinks Jackman's Pale Ale by
Flying Dog is her favorite beer. Up til then it had been stuff like Pyramid Apricot and Abita Purple Haze. I'm so proud.

As cool as a DD is, it's awesome when my wife gets drunk. She loses a lot of her inhibitions.

My wife actually turned me on to "good" beer. Strangely she is not as impressed by having a kegerator in the house, though. I even have one of her favorites on tap--a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone.Although she won't drink a hydrometer sample, go figure.

I used to drink the occasional Rolling Rock b/c it WAS semi-local for me and in some bars that only had BMC style beers they also had Rolling Rock. So it was obviously the best choice. After Budweiser bought out the recipe I quit drinking it b/c it pissed me off that they bought just the recipe and began producing it elsewhere rather than keeping the Latrobe brewery in production.

As for the G/f liking good beer I am lucky. She loves all good beers especially stouts. She's not much for IPAs though, which are my favorite, but she will drink them occasionally.

ugh...the rock...many bad experiences with the rock coming up. Growing up in PA, I have prb consumed more skunked rocks than any other brand.

SWMBO loves beer, but is not (yet) a hop head. She's a big fan of stouts scotch ales. No arguments here!

Ahhh, I remember $1 bottles of rock every friday night across the street from my apartment when I was a senior in college. Those were the days...

Rolling Rock get its flavor from DMS. They have taken an off flavor and built a beer around it.

be sure to take that lid off......

City brewery from La Crosse WI is trying to buy the brewery in Latrobe. Funny thing is that City Brewing is in the old Heileman's plant where Old Style used to be made. They contract brew for alot of the "malt beverages" out there. But you might be able to find some of the "microstyle" beer they make. For an American lager LaCrosse Lager is decent.

olllllo said:
I think Bud bought the recipe and now sells Rolling Rock and Miller put a bid on the Physical plant.

Pumbaa will know.

I sorta knew (I knew it was Bud), but ya made me go look for the history. . .

First owned by Latrobe brewing, then bought out by labbot in 1987, then bought out by InBev in 1995, then bought out by Bud in 2006 . . .

The actual brewery (buildings) is owned by City Brewing Company of La Crosse Wisconsin (mainly a contract brewer) since late 2006

Speaking of Heileman's, it sometimes just amazes me that a relatively big company like that, with two great brands in Old Style and Special Export is just gone. Poof. Where did they go? When I was in high school Old Style was THE beer to drink. And, if you really wanted to impress people by buying Export you were really a high roller. Old Style was huge in Chicago. You'd think a brewery could survive on that market alone.

I know Old Style is still contract brewed, but I don't know-- I'm always a bit skeptical about drinking a brand that a big company like Miller or AB has bought from a defunct brewer.

you can still get Old Style, ya just have to go to State Fair or head up north a bit . . . pretty sure you can get it at Summerfest too

OS comma S export comma Shiltz comma blatz comma lone star comma olympia all owned by pabst. Contract brewed by miller who was actually started by a son of the original Pabst owner Jacob Best.

sause said:
OS comma S export comma Shiltz comma blatz comma lone star comma olympia all owned by pabst. Contract brewed by miller who was actually started by a son of the original Pabst owner Jacob Best.

Sause
If I ever catch you in possesion of one of those beers I'm gonna beat you with a comma

WHAT! Lone Stars not THAT bad....

It was the beer I drank before I knew there was good beer!

All my parents drink is Miller Lite and I alway knew I wouldn't drink that...

Lone Star's a good you know....lawn mower....get trashed kinda beer

Plus I like the riddles on the bottom of the caps

I dunno....I'm too proud of texas...

The other night we had some friends over.....my girlfriend is from California and this guy was from Ohio

we started talking about state flowers and all that kinda crap......non of them knew anything about there state and bearly knew anything about Texas

They started quizing me on texas....I got the flower...tree...fruit...dish....bird...reptile....everything but vegitable....sweet onions!

Latest posts

Back