Quick question:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you needed biscuit malt in a recipe and didn't have it, what would be a good compromise?

All i have to sub it with is munich, aromatic and special b. Which of those 3 would be best?

Need a quick answer--I'm heating sparge water now.....

THANKS!

go with half munich and some special b.

The munich for the biscuity goodness and the special b for a little but of the toast flavor.

I dont need to remind you to go light on the special b do i?

I'd definitely go with some Munich but I'm not sure about the other two you mentioned.
To me, special B gives raisiny tones and I've never used aromatic malt

Well, thanks for the replies.

here is what I did.

I tasted samples of all of the grains, and decided to go with half munich and half aromatic. I might have been mistaken on what I wanted for abiscuit flavor--but the combo of munich and aromatic will be good enough.

I especially did not like the taste of the special B for this beer. Holy raisins batman!

Thanks guys....getting ready to mash in.

I was going to say go with the aromatic, but you're done so who cares what I think. :p

My LHBS was out of biscuit one time and I substituted half and half victory and special roast for it at their suggestion. Seemed to turn out fine.

Great brew day today. I totally love my set up--I wish it would have been set up like this when the NC boys were here brewing...it works like a charm now.

Anyway--the wort tasted absolutely KILLER. I love Warrior hops. The quick suggestions for the biscuit substitution really helped. Anyone who answered this thread while I was trying to make the decision--when the beer is carbed up, I'm sending you each a bottle for the assistance.

Dude-

Just a passing note (too late, da**it!). Some whole 2-row toasted at 350F for 10-15 min gives a nice toasty, biscuity note. Some say to cure it for a week or 2 after, but I've used it straight in the mash in the best beer ever. Just for future reference.

Sully

Latest posts

Back