What will happen if I harvest now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bag

Reaction score
I have a second year Centennial that is about 10' tall right now and it already has burrs. I'm guessing I'll have cones in a month. If I harvest then, will i get a second crop of cones in August/ September like normal? I am expecting my hops aren't done growing and they'll reach the top of my 22 1/2 ft. trellis by August. Is it normal for there to be burrs already? Some experienced advice would be nice.

Thats normal. I have burrs on mine....and if you allow new shoots to climb your current vines than you can harvest in July and again in September.

Thats normal. I have burrs on mine....and if you allow new shoots to climb your current vines than you can harvest in July and again in September.

So I can harvest these cones in July and the younger bines will grow up over the first bines and produce a second harvest in September? I heard that if I leave the cones they'll just get bigger.... or will they dry out before September?

So I can harvest these cones in July and the younger bines will grow up over the first bines and produce a second harvest in September? I heard that if I leave the cones they'll just get bigger.... or will they dry out before September?

In my experience, the hop cones dry out and get brown if they are left too long on the vine. I usually get a small harvest from my Tet early and then a larger one later on.

Back