Underpitched the Yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Just brewed an Irish Red last night and pitched my one 6 oz pack of Munton Gold Yeast that I had. I figured that would be enough but then I looked at Mr Malty which recommended two 5 oz packs. It started bubbling at 4 hours and now at 12+ hours it is bubbling like crazy :ban:

My question is, even though I am definitely fermenting and may even get all of it, should I go out and get one more pack to throw in there just in case? :confused:

I think I remember people saying they'd rather overpitch slightly than underpitch.

At this point, there's no need to pitch more yeast. By the time the new yeast got active you wouldn't need it because the yeast that's in there would have multiplied sufficiently.

RDWHAHB, you did fine.

At this point, there's no need to pitch more yeast. By the time the new yeast got active you wouldn't need it because the yeast that's in there would have multiplied sufficiently.

RDWHAHB, you did fine.

Thanks. The OG hit the mark at 1.052 and I felt good about one pack till I saw Mr Malty recommend 2. But I'm not too worried cause it is going real good right now! :rockin:

Back