Using Pomegranate Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsuyako

Reaction score
So I have this really basic recipe

5lbs honey
1gl water
1 pkt champanege yeast

and I was thinking of adding pomegranite concetrate. Would I need to lessen the amount of water to compencate for the Con. or is okay to add as is?

The other question is when would I add the concentrate?

Thanks
tsuya (first time mead maker)

5lbs is a ton for 1 gallon. Are you talking water to 1 gallon, as in 1 gallon minus the volume of the honey, or 5lbs honey + 1 full gallon of water. Either way you will have a VERY high OG. I have used that much in a mead once, but that is because I was intending of getting 18-19% alcohol. My OG was 1.155 and it makes for a very difficult fermentation.

Especially if you are adding pomegranate concentrate, try using like 3lbs of honey plus 1 can of concentrate. I'm not sure how high of an OG that would give you, but it would be much more manageable then 1.155 + concentrate.

How much water depends on what you are fermenting it in. If you are racking it to a one gallon jug, you are going to want to do 1 gallon total volume, including honey, water and the concentrate. I would say do a primary of 3lbs of honey and water to make a total of 1 gallon. And then rack this to secondary, but first add one can of thawed concentrate to your secondary carboy and add your mead on top of this. I saw to start with one full gallon before the concentrate because you will lose some due to racking.

Adding it in secondary will preserve more of the flavor and color.

The recipe does call for 1 gallon water + the honey. I planned on using a 1gall fermenting bucket and then just letting it sit for 6 months, bottling then let it sit for a month or so.

if you ferment that dry and it is a full 18+% you will need a lot more then 7 months of aging before it is even approachable. That will be super super hot, as in alcohol hot. Its going to need some serious aging time to mellow.

I am begining to think this recipe is not that great...

anyway pushing past that I am thinking let it sit for 3 months before racking into a secondary with the concentrate then let it sit for 4-6 months more. will that work?

I would say 3.5 lbs of honey, topped off to one gallon with water is as strong as I would want to go without making rocket fuel. Unless you are going for a very sweet wine then maybe 4 gallons but you need to care and feed the yeast to work through all of that.
Nothing wrong a sweet mead, just not my taste, so maybe if you describe what your trying to go for we could be more help, or:
Down load hightest spreadsheet from the sticky FAQ above and do the numbers, then make what you want.

Back