I collect Rogue bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamjonsharp

Reaction score
roguebottles.jpg

Anyone else collect bottles?!?!?
:mug:

I remember a Boision Berry??? Gonna have to look at some of my old bottles. If I still have it, you are welcome to it to add to you collection if you need it.

I just toss 'em. Unlike the bottles from Stone, you can't get the paint off the Rogue bottles, so they are useless to save for bottling unless you don't mind the Rogue paint job.

(Dilute Muriatic acid will get the paint off of the Stone bottles, but even concentrated acid won't affect the Rogue bottles.)

my neighbor has a collection of boonsfarm bottles. Anyone familiar with that? It minus well be thunderbird wine

At the risk of being crucified I'm just going to say that Rogue is a tad overrated. The thing that bugs me is that they don't make anything that I would consider better than a lot of the other micros but they consistently ask $2-3 more per bomber. Sure they got the packaging down but come on. I have a friend that tried to get a job at Rogue that went to a business meeting, he told me that they have no desire to push limits, he even said they don't have a pilot batch system they only use recipes that they have had in a spiral notebook since their inception or recipes that have won many awards that they can buy off of other people. I guess there is nothing wrong with that business model but it sure doesn't convey a "rogue" lifestyle in my opinion.

Good beer though. Plus they have the bed and breakfast thing which is on my personal bucket list. I've been pricing tickets to Oregon...pretty high from the South here...

Boy, I wouldn't necessarily have the "rooms" above the Newport Rogue Ale House as a bucket-list item. I recommend staying in Newport and drinking some brews there and hitting the nice seafood restaurants , but staying at Rogue...

If you can find a place with a kitchen, buy the fresh fish from the docks and cook it yourself. Take your empty growlers to Rogue for the beer and BOOM! Magical dinners!

I would agree Rogue can be overrated. I do like the Shakespeare Stout, though. There IPA's leave much to be desired...

I always thought it was named rogue for the rogue river. So I googled it and found they have a brew pub in eugene. I also found out that I stayed at the house of thier primary hops provider. I know the son in law.

I love Dead Guy . . and just last weekend I decided, "hey, you know what, I'd like to have a keg of Dead Guy, that would be great!" So I looked up the Rogue Distillery & Public House in Portland to see if they fill corneys. I find their menu. It says:

Kegs To-Go & 64oz Growlers
Ask your server for details.
FILL-IT-UP at the TAP
We’ll fill almost any container. Pricing varies.

So I think, "Right on!" I call them up and ask, "hey, do you guys fill 5 gal pepsi kegs? you know, corneys?"

And they say "I've never heard of that".

I say, "it's a pretty standard 5 gallon keg that homebrewers use . . a lot of the other brewers in town will fill them . . like HUB and Laurelwood . ."

He says, "Um, let me ask the manager . . .. . . the manager says we can't fill anything . . we only sell growlers . . we're not a brewery . . if you want something else filled you have to go to Newport."

Me: "WTF??!!" (in my head)

For having such a great brand, they sure seemed out of touch with what they're selling.

A few of points about rogue:

Rogue owns two brewpubs, Eugene City and Issaquah, which serve as "test kitchens" for new beers. One of Rogue's latest releases, Sig's Deadliest Ale, was originally Eugene City's 100 Meter India Style Red. Before they settled on that though, Eugene City brewed up a Dungeness Crab Porter, which would have had that appelation had it not scared too many people. That said, however, they are always coming up with new recipes in Newport: the uber delicious Paul's Black Lager for example. They just released some sort of German lager that was a collaboration between John Maier and a German brewmaster.

The rooms above the pub in Newport are very nice converted apartments, so they have lots of room, full kitchens, laundry, etc. Staying there is less like a hotel and more like crashing at a friends place above a bar. Plus, one of the rooms is haunted with the ghost of local legend Mo of Mo's Clam Chowder.

The Portland pub is not a brewery. They would have no way of filling a corny other than from the tap, which wouldn't make much sense. The problem is they print the same menus for all their pubs.

All that said, I agree with all the comments about Rogue being a few bucks more expensive than necessary. Rogue was founded by Nike's original lawyer. It's all about branding.

At the risk of being crucified I'm just going to say that Rogue is a tad overrated. The thing that bugs me is that they don't make anything that I would consider better than a lot of the other micros but they consistently ask $2-3 more per bomber. Sure they got the packaging down but come on. I have a friend that tried to get a job at Rogue that went to a business meeting, he told me that they have no desire to push limits, he even said they don't have a pilot batch system they only use recipes that they have had in a spiral notebook since their inception or recipes that have won many awards that they can buy off of other people. I guess there is nothing wrong with that business model but it sure doesn't convey a "rogue" lifestyle in my opinion.

I've personally seen their pilot system.

Their brewer, John Meier, won the Ninkasi, you really think he is just brewing recipes from a notebook?

As for pushing limits, in a world of beer geeks with big beer fetishes they probably aren't making the biggest IIPA, RIS etc but they were making these beers over a decade ago. They pushed limits before pushing limits was cool.

I think your friend either didn't pay attention or is intentionally slandering the brewery because they didn't hire him.

I always thought it was named rogue for the rogue river. So I googled it and found they have a brew pub in eugene. I also found out that I stayed at the house of thier primary hops provider. I know the son in law.

I thought it was named after the Rogue Valley, as it started in Ashland, OR, which is in the Rogue Valley.

Good beer though. Plus they have the bed and breakfast thing which is on my personal bucket list. I've been pricing tickets to Oregon...pretty high from the South here...

Honestly if you make it out there I think you will be happier staying at the Inn at Cape Kiwanda, which I think is the most scenic spot on the Oregon Coast and located directly adjacent to the fantastic Pelican Pub. Newport and Rogue are a short drive down the coast.

I've personally seen their pilot system.

Their brewer, John Meier, won the Ninkasi, you really think he is just brewing recipes from a notebook?

As for pushing limits, in a world of beer geeks with big beer fetishes they probably aren't making the biggest IIPA, RIS etc but they were making these beers over a decade ago. They pushed limits before pushing limits was cool.

I think your friend either didn't pay attention or is intentionally slandering the brewery because they didn't hire him.

I stand corrected, this particular friend can be kind of a flake. I always wondered how they got new brews off the ground if they didn't develop them themselves. Sure they pushed the limits back in the day but I guess I kind of still feel like they have somewhat detached from the beer geek community. Deschutes seems to be able to still cater to us beer geeks and continue with their mainstay brews. The other thing is $5.75 for a pint of beer at their pubs, that is ridiculous, I always feel like a tourist when I go to one of Rogue's public houses.

Honestly if you make it out there I think you will be happier staying at the Inn at Cape Kiwanda, which I think is the most scenic spot on the Oregon Coast and located directly adjacent to the fantastic Pelican Pub. Newport and Rogue are a short drive down the coast.

+1 for that my wife and I had our honeymoon there. Pelican has some tasty brews and damn fine fish and chips.

I stand corrected, this particular friend can be kind of a flake. I always wondered how they got new brews off the ground if they didn't develop them themselves. Sure they pushed the limits back in the day but I guess I kind of still feel like they have somewhat detached from the beer geek community. Deschutes seems to be able to still cater to us beer geeks and continue with their mainstay brews. The other thing is $5.75 for a pint of beer at their pubs, that is ridiculous, I always feel like a tourist when I go to one of Rogue's public houses.

I would agree that Rogue's glory days of innovation are behind them (a few years ago they came out with a new beer every month for a year for their 15th anniversary) and I agree that they have made a move to stabilize their brand and increase distribution, I don't think they have become some horrible corporate brewery. They make 20-30 different beers in a year and most people can find a few that they really like.

When I first got interested in beer 8-9 years ago I think a lot of people would have been saying about Anchor or Sierra Nevada what they are saying about Rogue now. Maybe people will forgive Rogue for commercial success and they will come back in favor like those breweries.

I think Rogue is too expensive for what it is. That said they make some good beer and spend a LOT of money on branding. I remember watching a video on youtube where the brewmaster talks about how the ingredients are better which is why they can't offer $6-7 six packs. I think that is total BS.

Their bottles are really neat. I have a glow in the dark dead guy growler. Only problem with their bottles is that the etching can rub off pretty easy.

Only problem with their bottles is that the etching can rub off pretty easy.

Really?!?

Rogue's bottles are the only ones I don't reuse. I can't remove their labels, not even with a super strong solution of water and Star San. I read one post that said muriatic acid would work, but then I read another post that said it would not work. I haven't tried it for myself yet.

I wish I could rub them off easier.

+1 to what farmbrewernw said.

I felt like a tourist at Rogue in Newport. Spendy brews... nothing special.

I always stop at Deschutes in Bend, and they always make me happy with the Inversion on tap, Obsidian on nitro, and other special brews.

And, thanks to help on this forum, I actually went to Pelican and had some incredibly clean brews and excellent food. I brought back several 22oz'ers, too!

Like I said above, it's all about the brand. Rogue puts their imperial beers in ceramic bottles that cost $5.00 per, so they charge $15.00 each. Old Crustacean is a fine beer, but $15 bucks for less than two pints worth is a little silly. Plus, half their "imperial" beers are at or less than 8% abv.

Anyone got some I can add to the garage beer wall? Not all in the photos are painted and full but that’s the intent. 🍺

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Back