Input on an Apple Cider Recipe - Thanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beards Brews

Reaction score
My wife doesn't drink beer, so I cannot really share this hobby too much with her and it is entirely one sided. I'm thinking if I can make something she likes, then I might get a pass on future purchases...you follow me here?

Ok, so I figured a nice Apple Cider that is tart and a bit sweet would do just the trick. I read up on back sweetening with lactose and all and I pieced together this recipe.

5 Gal of Treetop Apple Juice (or a local brand w/ some Georgia apples)
1 lb Dark Brown Sugar
2-3 cinnamon sticks into the fermenter
Notty yeast

When it is time to bottle:
1 can frozen AJ concentrate - for carbing
1 lb Lactose for back sweetening

What do you think? This is my first cider, so I'm completely clueless here.

This will work.

If you will read Ed Wort's "Man, I love Apfelwein." thread in the Wine Forum here, you will see many similar variations.

As I continue to read these threads, and study the home brewing and wine making processes, little lights in my head come on every once in a while.

As I see it, the evolution of wine making from traditional methods to kit processes has spilled over into ciders, to the benefit of everyone.

By simply taking bottled 100% juice and fermenting it as wine or beer, wonderful creations emerge without the need for a middle man to pack up a printed box of ingredients, with a 'step-by-step' to go with it.

You might just end up deciding that this 'girly' drink is man enough for you, too!

Press on with your mutation, and don't forget to provide updates and final result feedback!

Pogo

I would only put the cinnamon sticks in a secondary after racking, or nothing at all. And 3 might kill it with flavor, 1 or 2 at the most in my opinion.

I just bottled this and man is it amazing. I got a little over 9% ABV and it definitely sneaks up on you. It's a hit with the wife as well, which means I'll need to keep a batch on hand all the time...darn.

The weather here is beautiful fall weather; cool, crisp and slightly breezy. A perfect day to bottle and sample this. :mug:

Did you use lactose to back sweeten it?
Is it an odd texture?
Is it still quite dry or is it sweeter like a Woodchucks?

sounds awesome, and thanks for the update.

But im wondering, if edworts recipe uses 2lbs sugar, and is supposed to be at about 8.5%, how did you get to 9% with 1 lb?

to answer the other question. if the juice started out at 1.040 2 lbs of sugar will take it to 1.058. If it ferments to 0.998 thats 8.15 %ABV. if the juice started out at 1.060 2 lbs of sugar will take it to 1.078. If it ferments to 0.998 thats 10.87 %ABV. Ive seen juice at 1.040 and 1.060. It all depends on the OG of the juice all alone and what it ferments down to.

And you added the cinnamon after the primarey fermentation? I would like to try this recipy in a small scale to try it out myself as the short time span will have me something ready for christmass.

BUT how would i adapt this recipie for forced carbonation? Does the added apple juice add flavoring back into the mix as well as giving a boost to the ABV?

Back