Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a lot of people on here that say this class basically is useless. Well I'm new to chemistry so it's a little crazy for me, but I am in the process right now of making a Belgium beer and trying to re create a Belgium water profile. I have run into some snags and questions and with my research I have found a lot of information that was gone over in week one and week two of the course. So in my opinion this course is actually helping me already and a lot of things make more since now. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Any knowledge that makes us better brewers is worth a little mental discomfort. I, for one, have also become a better googler in the process lol! Especially with one of those "WTH did he just say?" moments. And since its free for us, but a advance chemistry course for actual students, I feel no need to complain about anything I am learning.... Point is, we are learning, for free.

I was brewing weekly (sometimes twice a week) for the first 5 weeks for the upcoming AHA Competition and found myself contemplating Alpha amylase smashing protein chains. Complex lipids making my yeast healthy and giving the foam retention to create that beautiful lacing as we down a glass of our finest. Terpines giving us that hoppy goodness balancing out the malty sweetness. Even while cleaning, I envisioned phospholipids lining up in the water making our task easier. Heck I even pictured Etoh metabolized as I enjoyed a brew. (actually that was not a pretty image). That may seem a little romanticized at a beer level but I actually do picture it in my head now. And to think on that molecular level is going to make me a better brewer.

At the very least this course makes us step back and think about what we are doing and the eventual outcome of our brewing actions. Yes it is hard for those of us without a chem background. Yes it takes time to understand some of the concepts (or most). That is the essence of being educated. :mug:

Hang in there Boyos... Its only 12 more weeks. We got this! Now back to that Etoh metabolizing image as we study Malting and Kilning... :tank:

Any knowledge that makes us better brewers is worth a little mental discomfort. I, for one, have also become a better googler in the process lol! Especially with one of those "WTH did he just say?" moments. And since its free for us, but a advance chemistry course for actual students, I feel no need to complain about anything I am learning.... Point is, we are learning, for free.

I was brewing weekly (sometimes twice a week) for the first 5 weeks for the upcoming AHA Competition and found myself contemplating Alpha amylase smashing protein chains. Complex lipids making my yeast healthy and giving the foam retention to create that beautiful lacing as we down a glass of our finest. Terpines giving us that hoppy goodness balancing out the malty sweetness. Even while cleaning, I envisioned phospholipids lining up in the water making our task easier. Heck I even pictured Etoh metabolized as I enjoyed a brew. (actually that was not a pretty image). That may seem a little romanticized at a beer level but I actually do picture it in my head now. And to think on that molecular level is going to make me a better brewer.

At the very least this course makes us step back and think about what we are doing and the eventual outcome of our brewing actions. Yes it is hard for those of us without a chem background. Yes it takes time to understand some of the concepts (or most). That is the essence of being educated. :mug:

Hang in there Boyos... Its only 12 more weeks. We got this! Now back to that Etoh metabolizing image as we study Malting and Kilning... :tank:
I like your attitude.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Personally i don't think anyone should be complaining. As repeated many times, the keyword here is free. I'm jUst as much as i can since i don't have Much of a chemistry background. I don't understand the chemistry processes much but i still find it interesting

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I see a lot of people on here that say this class basically is useless. Well I'm new to chemistry so it's a little crazy for me, but I am in the process right now of making a Belgium beer and trying to re create a Belgium water profile. I have run into some snags and questions and with my research I have found a lot of information that was gone over in week one and week two of the course. So in my opinion this course is actually helping me already and a lot of things make more since now. Just my two cents.

Take a look at the appendix section that was opened this weekend. You may find a few more things that might help. Also, although specifically directed to german beer styles, BrauKiaser.com has some good information of water chemistry.

This is not a great analogy, but let's see if it works.

Soda kegs were not designed for beer, but they are useful.

The Chemistry of Beer course was designed as a 1-hr advanced chemistry course. Therefore, it does not cover everything, but what it does cover we tried to take it the molecular level. I do hope it has been useful.

I appreciate all of the critiques. I have taught Organic Chemistry I about 30 times and never taught two classes the same. I saw what my students were learning and what they were not and read the end of term evaluations. Your first brew is not likely your best, you just keep brewing until you make that batch that make you smile from ear to ear after the first sip.

Hope to get more time to interact with the class over the next few weeks.

First, let me say that I took the title and description of the course literally. I did not take it to make me a better brewer, I took it to learn and understand more about what is happening during the process on the chemical level. If utilizing the information makes me a better brewer (and it already has) so be it.

Having a chemical engineering background, I already knew a fair amount of what is being presented, but the regime of the course is forcing me to look at it as a whole and to examine the chemistry involved instead of just skimming over the molecules and reactions.

As with most of the courses I took in college, it's not what was presented that made the course, but what I took from the course and utilized to my best advantage.

And best of all... This is free!

Thanks Mark for making it available to us!

-- Old Goat

Maybe I've been out of practice on my chemistry skills, as the concepts are fine to follow, but in practicality on the exams, or maybe it's just the way they're worded; I'm having a difficult time with some of them. Also the drag option still doesn't work most of the time for me. Also I'm finding some of the answers to be problematic, based upon the way they were worded. I'm enjoying the course and trying the best with my work schedule and kid schedule..I have 2 crazy lil girls always asking Daddah, whatcha doing, can I help? Always when I'm trying to do the self-assessments and exams.

Finished the Beer Styles quiz this AM. Fortunately no real surprises but it did make you think.
If studied the written portions more thoroughly so I got them all.

I think any time we can learn anything, it's a good thing. I find myself reading and re-reading and then reading again. It's frustrating but rewarding at the same time. When I was in college, I worked full time and took all my classes at night and weekends and yet it still seems like it was a lot easier back then. I guess the reality is ... I'm getting older, but it beats the alternative.

Took the test today and got two wrong....one of them they ask which is not correct and have a series of answers. One of them was a Amylase and b amylase have the same optimum temp, I put no, and was apparently incorrect. It was my understanding they DO have different optimum temps, but maybe you could check more than 1 answer and I only checked that one. Don't know.

Took the test today and got two wrong....one of them they ask which is not correct and have a series of answers. One of them was a Amylase and b amylase have the same optimum temp, I put no, and was apparently incorrect. It was my understanding they DO have different optimum temps, but maybe you could check more than 1 answer and I only checked that one. Don't know.

Same here, I answered C - The heating part, and also got it wrong, I thought I also answered the Mallard Reaction question correctly, but also got that one wrong! (According to John Palmer's book I should have gotten it right).

But I don't care, it's a nice course, and I learned a few things about calcium that I picked up from this part of the program.. So you can teach an old dog new tricks after all.........

Neither catalyze Beta glycosidic bonds. I think the temp range given was wide enough to include both enzymes (10C range)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Like in all tests pick the worst or best answer, in this case the worste one stands out.
Sorry you picket the wrong one.

Same here, I answered C - The heating part, and also got it wrong, I thought I also answered the Mallard Reaction question correctly, but also got that one wrong! (According to John Palmer's book I should have gotten it right).

But I don't care, it's a nice course, and I learned a few things about calcium that I picked up from this part of the program.. So you can teach an old dog new tricks after all.........

Amino group and carbonyl group = Maillard

Amino group and carbonyl group = Maillard

I answered : Acid, Sugar

From JP:

Maillard Reaction - A browning reaction caused by external heat wherein a sugar (glucose) and an amino acid form a complex, and this product has a role in various subsequent reactions that yield pigments and melanoidins.

So, how is my answer wrong ?........Acid & Sugar = Maillard Reaction.

I answered : Acid, Sugar

From JP:

Maillard Reaction - A browning reaction caused by external heat wherein a sugar (glucose) and an amino acid form a complex, and this product has a role in various subsequent reactions that yield pigments and melanoidins.

So, how is my answer wrong ?........Acid & Sugar = Maillard Reaction.

I think in that context they're referring to the acid as "acidic" , not amino acid.

Unit 5: is there something wrong with question number 7 on the self assessment quiz?

The question on my iPad was in different order than on my PC. On the PC the order in which the answers are listed is different, so maybe there was something wrong with the iPad version. It is correct on the PC. Weird.

The question on my iPad was in different order than on my PC. On the PC the order in which the answers are listed is different, so maybe there was something wrong with the iPad version. It is correct on the PC. Weird.

Ah...I've resigned myself to using a PC for any interactions and just use the iPad for reading...I have seen similar issues with the iPad.

Kolbach index is a measure of soluble protein percentage on the total nitrogen, it's not related to Lintner.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

I think the confusion is that in one of the articles, it talks about Windisch–Kolbach units for diastatic activity along with Lintner.

Kolbach Index vs Kolbach units. I guess that Kolbach guy had his hands in all kinds of stuff.

I think the confusion is that in one of the articles, it talks about Windisch–Kolbach units for diastatic activity along with Lintner.

Kolbach Index vs Kolbach units. I guess that Kolbach guy had his hands in all kinds of stuff.

^^This^^
That one got me also .

The last question was a little bogus too. The question asked what you would do to achieve wort of suitable OG for a successful brew after accidently boiling the grain. While " Let it cool, dump the grain and cry" was a funny answer, it shouldn't have been counted as a correct one.

I know it was just a self assessment quiz, but now it puts that in the back of your mind when answering the actual test.

^^This^^
That one got me also .

The last question was a little bogus too. The question asked what you would do to achieve wort of suitable OG for a successful brew after accidently boiling the grain. While " Let it cool, dump the grain and cry" was a funny answer, it shouldn't have been counted as a correct one.

I know it was just a self assessment quiz, but now it puts that in the back of your mind when answering the actual test.

I guess I should not have tried to be cute on that one. I avoid being cute on the quizzes.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

The mash temp question was a little confusing.
The way I think most of us have learned, especially with todays modified grain, is to start the mash water at a higher temp, then add the grain to bring it down to the target mash temp. I only know of a few instances where you would start as low as 115 deg and then raise it up to your desired mash temp.(a large amount of wheat comes to mind).
When I think of water temp for mash in, I always think of that as a higher temp than my target mash temp.
I guess I should have taken the time to convert Celsius into Fahrenheit, then I would have realized that the target temp would have been too low.

Didn't like Question #6 on the mashing and lautering quiz. What was emphasized in the lessons was enzymatic hydrolysis and SN1 reactions, asking about non-enzymatic hydrolysis was kind of a cheap quiz question to confuse the reader rather than test knowledge on the subject. I was able to narrow it down to two choices, picked the wrong one. I felt I understood the material concerning stereochemistry and why things happen with enzyme catalysis, but I didn't find anything presented concerning non-enzyme (or acid/base catalysis). Whatever, I should have gone with my gut instinct - I read in too much and got faked out in my own mind. Some other minor complaints that are coming up regularly concerning the presentation in the course vs what we know from practical experience, but still I am happy with the course overall with >93% after all the quizzes. I just wish the quizzes were more essay/problem solving rather than multiple choice.

Didn't like Question #6 on the mashing and lautering quiz. What was emphasized in the lessons was enzymatic hydrolysis and SN1 reactions, asking about non-enzymatic hydrolysis was kind of a cheap quiz question to confuse the reader rather than test knowledge on the subject. I was able to narrow it down to two choices, picked the wrong one. I felt I understood the material concerning stereochemistry and why things happen with enzyme catalysis, but I didn't find anything presented concerning non-enzyme (or acid/base catalysis). Whatever, I should have gone with my gut instinct - I read in too much and got faked out in my own mind. Some other minor complaints that are coming up regularly concerning the presentation in the course vs what we know from practical experience, but still I am happy with the course overall with >93% after all the quizzes. I just wish the quizzes were more essay/problem solving rather than multiple choice.

Agree.....

And now I'm going to pile on, now that I think about it. After reviewing Palmer on what impacts starch conversion (pH, Temperature and Mash concentration), question #3 is BS as well. The question is: "Select all of the conditions that impact the efficiency of starch conversion. Select all that apply." The choices are: a) Temperature; b) Mash concentration; c) Milling; d) Yeast variety; e) pH.

a, b and e are known per Palmer. d is a stupid answer. But, per the "grading" of the quiz, c) milling should be included.

Milling definitely has an effect on the amount of possible fermentable sugars available in that the coarser the grind, the lower the gelatinization and the lower the calculated yield (i.e less starch in the mash than theoretical calculation). But the question specifically refers to the efficiency of the starch conversion. This is how well the enzymes break down the available starches in the mash, not what the concentration of theoretical starches might be.

The efficiency of starch conversion is only based on available starches in real time, not theoretical starches on an optimum extraction. The only real answers for this question are the ones supported by Palmer. Milling definitely affects the amount of starches available for conversion, but has nothing to do with efficiency of starch conversion. Again, this is the problem with multiple choice tests.

*Edit to add that I did not reveal any actual quiz questions since this post was done AFTER the due date for this quiz.

Almost three weeks without a single post in this thread. Has everyone already given up on the course? From the looks of the Unit 7 Self Assessment, Fermentation is going to be tough.

Very tough. Not too much "brewing" and a whole lot of chemistry!

Almost three weeks without a single post in this thread. Has everyone already given up on the course? From the looks of the Unit 7 Self Assessment, Fermentation is going to be tough.

I am still around and won't give up. Unit 7 looks tough but is manageable. I do like the course and have no complains.
Cheers,
ClaudiusB
I

Back