stabilize mead - how much to use and how to do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I have a 2 gallon batch of mead along that is ready to be stabilized. I have potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate.

Should I pull some must out, mix the metabisulfite with a must and then pour it back in? Should I crush the metabisulfite?

The package on the metabisulfite says - 1/4 teaspoon per gallon
sorbate says - 1/4 teaspoon per 6 gallons

Is this the amount people generally use?

Thanks!

Hum ? The stuff I get, well the sulphite is as campden tablets and I just rack 1 campden tablet crushed, per gallon, and the sorbate/wine stabiliser suggests a dose of a half teaspoon per gallon.

I generally just rack the mead off its sediment then top up and add the chems and air lock the carboy.

I usually pull about a cup of must and mix into that & then pour it back in. The Metabisulfate I get is in tablet form. One tablet per gallon & I do cush it up in a plastic baggy first.

For the sorbate I have always used 1/2 tsp per gallon.

1/4 tsp per 6 gallon on the sulfite still is really light in my opinion but then when in pill form there may be a lot of filler. Someone else may chime in but generally the package directions should work for the product they are intended for. The sorbate however I think you would be good to go with what FB and I said at 1/2 tsp per gallon.

Back