How do i age my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno1

Reaction score
Ive just made a coopers pale ale and its nearly finished fermenting. I will be kegging it. But i need to onow the best way to age the beer? Shall i put it in the carboy for a month or so?

Leaving it in the fermenter is one way. I usually leave my beers in the fermenter for 3 weeks but for some of them 4 or 5 weeks seems to mature them quicker. If you can spare the keg, putting the beer in there and giving it a bit of CO2 to seal and then leaving it for some time will mature it too.

if you are bottling instead of keging, that beer, being light on flavor and body would probably do best aging in bottles right after fermentation is complete. Two weeks in the basement, then one week in the fridge works for me on lower gravity beers.

WoodlandBrew said:
if you are bottling instead of keging, that beer, being light on flavor and body would probably do best aging in bottles right after fermentation is complete. Two weeks in the basement, then one week in the fridge works for me on lower gravity beers.

I agree with that, bottle conditioning seems to really help aging. Plus it's easy to then test beers to see if they've aged enough, just pop open a bottle.

A normal gravity pale ale does not really need to be "aged".
When it's done fermenting keg it, carb it, drink it.

Back