Partial boil, added my remaining extract during wort cool-down.. oops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonutMuncher

Reaction score
Had my second partial mash brew day yesterday. I can only do partial boils (~3.75 gallons), so instead of adding all my extract for the full boil, I prefer to save some liquid extract until around flame-out (I read about this practice on these forums, to prevent caramelization I believe). So I added about 3/4ths of the extract for the boil. Anyway, after the boil, I started rapidly cooling the wort in an ice bath.. suddenly the thought hits me, I didn't add my remaining extract!

So I added the remaining liquid extract (about 1/4th of original amount) while the wort was cooling. The wort was at about 145-150F at this time. I stirred it in very gently for a minute, then went back to cooling.

I think I stirred it in fairly well; no extract was on the bottom of the kettle when I transferred to carboy, and I hit the OG on the nose.

So, is this okay for my beer?

You will be fine.

After all of the brews I have done, I have come to the conclusion that is very difficult to mess up a brew. You can make mistakes and 99% of the time you get beer.

Back