AHS Arrogant Bastard clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
has any one made the AB clone from AHS??

Would love to know how it was:mug:

Haven't done it, but every clone kit I've purchased from AHS has been dead-on. Given where I live, I can do keg to keg comparisons.

david_42 said:
Haven't done it, but every clone kit I've purchased from AHS has been dead-on.

Same here. And I have never heard anyone say that they weren't dead-on. Buy with confidence.

I just finished their Ruination clone and it's spot on. I'm going to be trying the AB in a month or so. Let me know how it turns out! :mug:

No I have not, but I plan on trying it in the near future. As someone above, the clone kits that I've done from ahs have all proven to be very close.

cant wait to brew it. Ill let you guys know how it turns out.

Question: I have never brewed a "big beer" before. Is there anything I should do special??

Brew something small to drink while you wait for it. Plan on a longer ferment, longer clearing time and longer conditioning.

And big starter.

I will be brewing the AHS arrogant bastard clone this coming sunday.

The kit included 10.5 # amber LME, 1.5# 120L crystal, 4oz of chinook

I have some lesft over cascade hops and was thinking of splitting the 5gallons into 2 - 2.5 gallon carboys.

I would keep one exactly how the recipe calls and one I would dry hop with 1 oz of cascade.

What do you think??

Is this worth doing or should i just stick with the recipe????

I would stick with the recipe. Not to say that the cascade wouldn't work, just there is something to be said about making a recipe as written (at least the first time).

i am brewing this tomorrow. I asked this question before but only got one response of advice.

Any opinions on whether I should split this batch and dry hop one with cascade, or just do the whole five gallons together. The recipe calls for no dry hopping, but AB shur smells and tastes like it is dry hopped.

Thanks

I'd probably just leave it as one 5 gal batch. I'd probably dry hop as well, but if I wanted to dry hop with something else after I tasted it I'd just order the kit again. :drunk:

Brewed my arrogant bastard clone three weeks ago and bottled it today.

It tasted good already! The besttasting beer (at bottling time) I have brewed yet, cant wait to crack one openin a few weeks!!

I bottled my AHS arrogant bastard clone three weeks ago and after cracking a few open it is still quite sweet and not carbonated all the way. Is it becasue it is a 7.5 abv beer that it is taking so long??

Anyone have experience with this problem???

2oz for bittering 50 min

1oz for flavor 10 min

1oz for aroma 0 min

all chinook

I just made a Stone IPA clone from AHS. It's in the 6th day in primary and I had a great consistent fermentation. The krausen started settling today after a couple minor airlock cleanings. Never had krausen reach the top of my bucket after 6 days of fermentation.

I heard that Stone used a lot of chinook in their recipes. Does anyone think AHS substituted centennial for chinook because of the hop situation?

1oz Warrior @60
1oz Centennial @ 15
1oz Centennial @ 5

1oz Centennial dry hop

Following this closely...Interesting problem, seems like noone else has had it though I don't think many people have tried this clone yet.

After 2 months it is fully ready and it is awesome. I took a couple bottles to a christmas party and those that new a little about beer could not get enough. I left them wanting more. I highly recomend the Austin Homebrew Arrogant Bastard clone. It is the best beer I have made so far (my fifth)

the recipe was

10.5 lbs amber LME
1.5 lbs 120L crystal
4 oz chinook

I have just done a comparative with my kegged Brewers Best Arrogant Bastard clone and a Stone Arrogant Bastard 22...and I can't believe how close they are. I will say the clone has a bit more of an astringent taste (my first time steeping grains). I had been drinking the clone for a few days and thought it was pretty bitter and a little bummed out!! I guess it has been a while since my last Bastard!! Just got around to a comparative, and I am very impressed. The color is spot on and minus the mildy astringent aftertaste, the clone was well worth the effort.

mZnthebend said:
I have just done a comparative with my kegged Brewers Best Arrogant Bastard clone and a Stone Arrogant Bastard 22...and I can't believe how close they are. I will say the clone has a bit more of an astringent taste (my first time steeping grains). I had been drinking the clone for a few days and thought it was pretty bitter and a little bummed out!! I guess it has been a while since my last Bastard!! Just got around to a comparative, and I am very impressed. The color is spot on and minus the mildy astringent aftertaste, the clone was well worth the effort.

The AHS clone of Arrogant Bastard and the Brewers Best kit are the same because I created the Brewers Best kit as well. I am glad you like the kits. Forrest

my AHS AB clone just keeps getting better. I love that when I give it to most people to try they say, "Whoa, that is strong!" or "That beer will put hair on your chest." or "that is thick!"

It rules, you all should make it.

I am going to put the Arrogant Bastard clone on sale until the end of January (or if we run out of Chinook it will end early). Thanks for all of your support.

Austinhomebrew said:
Just clarify this recipe is not mine or the Brewers Best kit recipe.

Forrest

Right on Forrest, just picked this one up from a friend! :tank:

Austinhomebrew said:
I am concerned about a pound of Black Patent. That is a lot for any recipe.

No kidding. That beer will be black as night, and I can't imagine it tastes anything like AB.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ;) , we all brew what we like.

EDIT: just noticed that in the recipe directions, fermenator's recipe only calls for 1/4c of black patent, not the 1 lb called for in the ingredients list.

fermenator, you may want to edit your recipe...someone who brews that with a pound of black patent and thinks they're getting AB is going to be, ummm, surprised.

Sorry about the confusion guys, it is indeed 1/4 cup, recipe has been edited to reflect this! :mug:

Just tried my Stone IPA clone. Dead on. It's one of those great brews that makes you say "I made this?". AHS really nailed this. The centennial worked fine. I dry hopped for about 16 days in the secondary. The hop flavor is a bit more floral than the real Stone brew. Not sure if they are exactly the same hops as Stone uses, but it's very accurate and an excellent beer.

I used a partial mash recipe with a late extract addition. I added half of the LME at the beginning and boiled the other half with a few quarts of water and added it to the main kettle with 15 min left along with my flavor hops so my boil wouldn't slow. Since I was boiling 3.5 gallons, the late extract addition provided more hop bitterness to come through. Good stuff. I have to try Ruination next. :mug:

I was just on the AHS site a few minutes ago, getting an order together, and I noticed they have their AB kit on sale, about $12 IIRC. I'm not ordering one since I have my own clone recipe on tap already, but I wanted to let you guys know that this kit is cheaper now, just like Forrest said!

Damn, Yoop. You got me all excited. If the kits were really $12 beans...I would have ordered 3. :rolleyes: I just checked and it's $36.99

Latest posts

Back